Sign in to follow this  
turbomax

What announcement are you most excited about for AMD's CES

Mods, why has this thread been moved to the video cards subforum?  Shouldn't it be in the cpu subforum?   The primary announcement has to do with new *CPU* and not a video card or monitor.

• Like 2

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

34 minutes ago, Mace said:

Mods, why has this thread been moved to the video cards subforum?  Shouldn't it be in the cpu subforum?

exactly, that's what I had asked earlier but didn't get a reply.

I was also wondering why this other CPU thread was left in the main MSFS section for 2 months:

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

OK, it's now in the Hardware/CPU forum! 😱

• Like 2

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I briefly had a 13700k prebuilt with an RTX 4090 for a week over Christmas. I had to send it back because of issues with the AIO (and I didn't want to void the warranty by messing with it). 

Whilst my PC was thermal throttling due to the above reason, from all the research I did online figuring out the issue, the one thing I noticed is how many people are having serious heat issues with either their 13900k or 13700k. It's quite absurd.

So many people are having to undervolt their CPU just to get it to not regularly hit 100 degrees under load and thermal throttle loosing the very performance they paid an arm and a leg for. I must admit that I am still tempted to pull the trigger on a 13900k and tired of waiting but with all those heating issues I am wondering if it is not better to wait for the 7950 3D model. I'm not sure the heat issue will be much better but something has me feeling that Intel have pushed their 10nm process a bit too much with Raptor lake and unless you know how to undervolt and play around with tonnes of bios settings etc., that it is kind of hard to get the most out of chip. I just want to plug and play.

What are your thoughts? Are the latest AMD CPUs generally more plug and play than Intel when it comes to not having to tinker with bios to avoid being able to fry an egg on the CPU?

On 1/5/2023 at 5:09 AM, Mace said:

So the 7950x3D and 7900x3D will feature two chiplets, one with vcache and the other without.  Whereas the 7800x3D has one vcached chiplet.

My concern with the 7950x3D and 7900x3D is this:  can Windows task scheduler properly handle one chiplet with the 3D cache and the other chiplet without it?  If not, then the 7800x3D would be the one to get.

I bet we'll know the answers to these questions in a few days.

From: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-unveils-three-ryzen-7000x3d-v-cache-chips-three-new-65w-non-x-cpus-too

AMD is working with Microsoft on Windows optimizations that will work in tandem with a new AMD chipset driver to identify games that prefer the increased L3 cache capacity and pin them into the CCD with the stacked cache. Other games that prefer higher frequencies more than increased L3 cache will be pinned into the bare CCD. AMD says that the bare chiplet can access the stacked L3 cache in the adjacent chiplet, but this isn’t optimal and will be rare. Yes, the chip with the extra L3 cache will run games at a slower speed, but most games don’t operate at peak clock rates, so you should still get a huge performance benefit.

Edited by eXpress48

AMD & Microsoft To Optimize Windows 11 For Hybrid Chiplet Architecture Designs

"Microsoft and AMD are also working to optimize the dual-CCD Ryzen 7000 X3D configurations within Windows 11. This is the first time that AMD is launching a CPU with two very different chiplets. One CCD will be configured with a 3D V-Cache (plus lower clocks) while the other will be configured with a standard Non-V-Cache die but run at faster clocks (up to 5.7 GHz). This is also the first time the boost clocks are rated just as high as the Non-3D parts but it remains to be seen how Windows 11 optimizes the workloads and usage across those CCDs as games will clearly benefit from the 3D V-Cache die while single-threaded workloads will benefit more from the other non-3D die.

The optimizations will come through AMD's own chipset drivers which will select from a range of games that benefit from the increased V-Cache solution. This is a process that requires time to mature so it is likely that we will see improvements months into the launch of the Ryzen 7000 X3D CPUs."

News Source: Tomshardware

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

I saw that bit about AMD working with Microsoft on Windows optimizations...that's good, but I'm always a skeptical dude when it comes to optimizations that "...require time to mature...".

Rhett

10 hours ago, steve310002 said:

What are your thoughts? Are the latest AMD CPUs generally more plug and play than Intel when it comes to not having to tinker with bios to avoid being able to fry an egg on the CPU?

I don't own an AMD setup currently, but I will say that from what I gather -- the AMD's seem to either not overclock (5800X3D) or are not commonly overclocked (as it doesn't do much for them).

I haven't owned an AMD since an FX57 in 2005-2006.

Anyway, reading between the lines, I doubt overclocking will be a significant thing with these 7000x3D cpu's.  As in probably not beneficial to any great degree.  And as I noted earlier in this thread, the IHS is 2mm thicker on the new AMD cpu's.  That usually isn't the best for cooling.  So my prediction is these will run on the hot side as well, especially the 16-core variant.  You'll probably see some lapping and shavin' going on for people that don't care about warranty and are going for benches...but surely for the rest of us, a good 360mm water setup will do the trick?

I can see cpu benches like Prime95 with AVX instruction set hitting the thermal max.  But in our sims, I don't think so.  I think with decent cooling we'll be all right.  I'm not particularly enthused about intel's 13th gen for the reason you stated (temps) and that's one of the reasons I'm considering an AMD vcache cpu.

• Like 2

Rhett

13 hours ago, steve310002 said:

Whilst my PC was thermal throttling due to the above reason, from all the research I did online figuring out the issue, the one thing I noticed is how many people are having serious heat issues with either their 13900k or 13700k. It's quite absurd.

Really? This is the first I've heard mention of this.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

that's what you get when you run old 10nm tech @ 5.8 - 6 GHz @ 335 watts only with air cooling. Modern 5 nm GPU's @ 350 watts use 3 large coolers for a reason. and they run typically below 80 degrees celsius. the only alternative for Intel's Raptors to compete with AMD's new Ryzen 9 is to torture and torment their silicon to those insane levels. I guess many users are not even aware that their super-dooper- Raptor has already throttled down to avoid a heat collapse.

and that's why AMD 7800x3D using TSMC's modern 5 nm is the CPU I plan on getting.

spacer.png

Edited by turbomax

very nice.

Will switch my 7950X to the 7950X3D and see what happens. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith
  • Like 1

😀

13 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

79503DX

that will also be my preferred choice. combined with an RTX 4090 and you'll fly in performance heaven. 

rien ne va plus

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 1

very nice.

38 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Will switch my 7950X to the 7950X3D and see what happens. 

I wanted to ask you, because I knew you ran a 7950X -- what kind of temps do you see in a typical sim session with the 7950X ?

Are you on air or water?

Rhett

17 minutes ago, Mace said:

I wanted to ask you, because I knew you ran a 7950X -- what kind of temps do you see in a typical sim session with the 7950X ?

Are you on air or water?

Mine uses a Corsair elite AIO. And a huge case with 10 fans. Runs around 25c idle and 55-60 under load in msfs. If I stress test it, it hits 74c 

• Like 1

Looks like I might go back to amd after all these years lol athlons days. you gotta love competition. eyeing the 7800x3D  for now.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.