Sign in to follow this  
Soulflight

MSFS suddenly unflyable

Hello everyone,

i dont know if something happened to my system, or to MSFS, but from 2 days ago to today the FPS i am getting became completely unflyable. It is noticeable in map view even, when i try to take off from anywhere it becomes a slideshow. FPS around 1 or less. It seems like the sim moves for one second and then hangs for another second. I already disabled all addons of testing but the issue is still there, even on vanilla MSFS.

System is not the best but ran smoothly until today: Ryzen 5600X, GTX 970 4GB, 32 Gigs of RAM, Windows 10. All at stock speeds.

When I get stutters I delete the rolling cache... maybe give that a try

• Upvote 1

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

did you update to the latest nvidia driver , think its causing me some issues

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

Your videocard needs upgrading as this is what is holding you back a great deal from a hardware perspective.

I would suggest that your first step should be to update all of your drivers and revert to default nvidia and msfs settings, then work your way up from there 

Edited by cianpars

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

2 hours ago, cianpars said:

Your videocard needs upgrading as this is what is holding you back a great deal from a hardware perspective.

I would suggest that your first step should be to update all of your drivers and revert to default nvidia and msfs settings, then work your way up from there 

Well this one i know, but if i had like 1000$ to spare there are different priorities in life. 😉 the gainward phantom 970 I have isnt tat bad in performance, the major setback is only 3,6 Gig usable VRAM, which is why I run MSFS on medium texture quality and I am usually at about 30 FPS with this.

2 hours ago, sonny147 said:

did you update to the latest nvidia driver , think its causing me some issues

No, i think i did so like 3 months ago.

I might also be looking on a RAM issue here, as I just noticed that when running a prime95 large FFT test, my machine also starts microfreezing every 2 seconds.

Edited by Soulflight
  • Like 1

mem test in windows or there are other memory test software online

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

I have never used rolling cache, never needed it, no problems whatosever.

Alienware Aurora R11, 32 GB ram, Intel i7-10700F, GeForce RTX 2080 Super, Ultra graphics settings

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 1:47 PM, Soulflight said:

Hello everyone,

i dont know if something happened to my system, or to MSFS, but from 2 days ago to today the FPS i am getting became completely unflyable. It is noticeable in map view even, when i try to take off from anywhere it becomes a slideshow. FPS around 1 or less. It seems like the sim moves for one second and then hangs for another second. I already disabled all addons of testing but the issue is still there, even on vanilla MSFS.

System is not the best but ran smoothly until today: Ryzen 5600X, GTX 970 4GB, 32 Gigs of RAM, Windows 10. All at stock speeds.

It happened to me randomly as well. Turn off "on-line traffic" and it should take care if it. Hopefully MSFS will fix it next patch

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

15 hours ago, Soulflight said:

Solved. I deleted and rebuilt the rolling cache. works normal now. thx everyone.

Hi,

How do you delete the rolling cache? Thanks.

9 minutes ago, dbw1 said:

Hi,

To do this, follow the steps below:

Open the simulator and click the "Options" tab in the top menu and click "General"

Click "Data" from the left sidebar.

Scroll down to "Rolling Cache Settings" and click "Delete" next to "Delete rolling cache file.

simple  search on  google  came  up with this option  🙂

• Like 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

7 hours ago, dbw1 said:

Hi,

After you delete it never turn it on again, you will thank me later.

• Upvote 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

23 hours ago, Soulflight said:

Solved. I deleted and rebuilt the rolling cache. works normal now. thx everyone.

My experience of the "rolling cache" is everything works fine for a while and then at some point during a flight one day things start acting very odd indeed. A sort of stutter starts to occur but it's unlike any stutter I have ever seen. It will get worse and worse until it becomes ridiculous. Like a stop-motion video but it's going back in time every few frames. However, if you look at the FPS counter it reads normal.

The first time it happened to me it felt as though the sim was trying to render two worlds and shortly after getting that impression I looked out of the window and saw the buildings and trees were occasionally disappearing and phasing back in. Sometimes doubled up with the second lot in a slightly different position. It was like a glitch in the matrix.

It took me about 15 mins of watching this get worse before I wondered if the rolling cache was to blame and so I went and deleted it in the flight and immediately it was fixed.

However, I had it happen two more times after that and each of those times deleting it during the flight didn't stop it from happening. It only went away after I deleted it and restarted the sim.

Because of this ability to ruin a flight I have now disabled it and fly without it.

I have no real idea why this happens but my theory is that it works fine until it reaches its capacity and then starts causing problems. It is just my theory though.

My advice is that unless you never leave a certain area during your flying then turn it off.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

5 hours ago, Jazz said:

My experience of the "rolling cache" is everything works fine for a while and then at some point during a flight one day things start acting very odd indeed. A sort of stutter starts to occur but it's unlike any stutter I have ever seen. It will get worse and worse until it becomes ridiculous. Like a stop-motion video but it's going back in time every few frames. However, if you look at the FPS counter it reads normal.

The first time it happened to me it felt as though the sim was trying to render two worlds and shortly after getting that impression I looked out of the window and saw the buildings and trees were occasionally disappearing and phasing back in. Sometimes doubled up with the second lot in a slightly different position. It was like a glitch in the matrix.

It took me about 15 mins of watching this get worse before I wondered if the rolling cache was to blame and so I went and deleted it in the flight and immediately it was fixed.

However, I had it happen two more times after that and each of those times deleting it during the flight didn't stop it from happening. It only went away after I deleted it and restarted the sim.

Because of this ability to ruin a flight I have now disabled it and fly without it.

I have no real idea why this happens but my theory is that it works fine until it reaches its capacity and then starts causing problems. It is just my theory though.

My advice is that unless you never leave a certain area during your flying then turn it off.

Yes, that exactly was my experience now. Now i wonder what the RC is doing anyways? It seems to have some sort of "storage leak" at some systems where it gets full and is never cleaned by the system ever again. Is the RC only saving network data and thats it?

12 minutes ago, Soulflight said:

Yes, that exactly was my experience now. Now i wonder what the RC is doing anyways? It seems to have some sort of "storage leak" at some systems where it gets full and is never cleaned by the system ever again. Is the RC only saving network data and thats it?

I believe it is storing all the area data you are flying over so that when you fly over it again it does not have to pull the data from the server. So if you only fly around the same place it's actually very useful. However, if you are flying around the world it's pretty pointless.

I'm not sure what it's doing when it gets full though. The term "rolling" suggests to me that it should dump the earlier data in favour of the new area you are flying over but I'm not convinced it does. I think it fills up and then acts up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2