Sign in to follow this  
ThomseN_inc

Professional Flight Planner PFPX still usable?

24 minutes ago, jsmcwilliam said:

I have just upgraded to a Windows 11 computer and reinstalled PFPX there. After registration I find the program disappears from my screen shortly after startup. Is this a compatibility problem?

John McWilliam

Firstly, welcome to AvSim John. I have edited your post to remove your email address. Otherwise you may find you’re bombarded with mail from bots that scan forums.

I’m using PFPX on Windows 11 so it’s certainly compatible. It’s been many years since I registered my copy so can’t remember the process. Just check in the shortcut you have “Unblock” checked as it’s a new security feature that also caught me out.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

12 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Firstly, welcome to AvSim John. I have edited your post to remove your email address. Otherwise you may find you’re bombarded with mail from bots that scan forums.

I’m using PFPX on Windows 11 so it’s certainly compatible. It’s been many years since I registered my copy so can’t remember the process. Just check in the shortcut you have “Unblock” checked as it’s a new security feature that also caught me out.

I too am using PFPX on Windows 11 and it works without issues. Anyway i had that problem once or twice but it was working again on the second attempt.

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

On 1/11/2023 at 6:58 PM, tjrush said:

Have you tried LittleNavmap?  It's free. If you don't like it, no harm is done.

LittleNavMap is truly great but I have no clue why I see it compared to PFPX or SimBrief. It does not and cannot replace them at all as far as IFR flight planning is concerned and it is misleading to others to give them the indication that it can.

Posted (edited)

@Konterhalbe,

So true story - 

I typed for about 15 minutes and submitted and the server was down. 

Suffice to say your post is exactly what I was looking for and when you say you could continue on for hours, I wish you would and I'd read it all. I've been looking for a good alternative to Simbrief for years (I really want all my stuff to be local as much as possible) but all the old tutorials and comparisons with Simbrief are super out of date and it's difficult to know what the current differences are. 

I'd appreciate hearing what else you find specifically useful about PFPX vs Simbrief (the NOTAM thing is exactly the kind of thing I'd love to use). Or you could always make a tutorial, if videos are your thing.  

Really appreciate your post and I'll read as much as you want to write!

PS - TopCat is amazing even after all these years. I just wish its plane database was more configurable.

Copying this before submitting...

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Long quoted post removed
  • Like 1

PFPX is still available for purchase directly at FlightsimSoft 

The ability to create and auto-route Free Route Airspace directs, activate/enable restricted airspace to automatically avoid in routing, create and auto-route users sub-routes are just some of the functions I cannot find yet in Simbrief.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I am very disheartened by the demise of PFPX. What I liked best about the tool is the ability to create and modify OFP layouts. Unfortunately, SimBrief hasn‘t added a new layouts in years and only sporadically updated the existing ones. Many of which are still quite outdated.

1 hour ago, thepilot said:

I am very disheartened by the demise of PFPX. What I liked best about the tool is the ability to create and modify OFP layouts. Unfortunately, SimBrief hasn‘t added a new layouts in years and only sporadically updated the existing ones. Many of which are still quite outdated.

I actually just bought it - updated the nav database with the Navigraph FMS manager and generated a flight with it alongside the same flight generated with Simbrief. 

How do you modify the OFP layout? I've seen that mentioned a few times in this thread but haven't come across that yet with the program, although I only just started really poking around.

With 2024, a lot of simmers would be happy to see a universal, in-sim flight planner that not only plans the route but also calculates the vertical profile, fuel and weights,  and also display Sids, Stars and Approaches on the map.

30 minutes ago, Rylo said:

How do you modify the OFP layout?

Take a look at an existing format and use the Template Guide to create/modify as required. You may find a format to your requirements in the Aerosoft forum downloads section.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rylo said:

I actually just bought it - updated the nav database with the Navigraph FMS manager and generated a flight with it alongside the same flight generated with Simbrief. 

How do you modify the OFP layout? I've seen that mentioned a few times in this thread but haven't come across that yet with the program, although I only just started really poking around.

Congrats on your purchase, I think it’s still a nice tool and I may begin using it anew. They explain very well how to create/modify the layouts in the manual as I remember it. However, be sure to check out the download section on the Aerosoft forums, there are plenty of user-made layouts that I can only recommend.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The scratchpad is another very valuable function of PFPX which SimBrief doesn't offer afaik...
My flightplan template is 98% accurate and looks like this:

IOBBPBf.jpeg

N9DuyAc.jpeg

There's everything in it I need. I just copy the whole thing into the scratchpad and modify it a bit to make it perfectly accurate (deleting unnecessary step climbs, paste company NOTAMS, real world NOTAMS and METAR etc.):

J68xw2V.jpeg

0XaYUMD.jpeg

Cool thing is, from the scratchpad, I can copy the IFR flightplan, paste it on https://my.vatsim.net/pilots/flightplan hit "file flightplan (FPL)" and I can start my flight on VATSIM.
Super seamless.

If you're interested in my OFP template, here it is:

<&b><&Airline[1]> FLIGHTPLAN - IFR  <&Airline><&FlightNr>  <&Registration>  <&From>-<&To> <&b>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ALL WEIGHTS IN <&WU[1]> (<&WU>) <&#:65>STD <&DepartureDate[5]>/<&STD[1]>Z
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<&Remarks_Begin>********************************************************************************
<&Remarks:80>
********************************************************************************
<&Remarks_End>
<&b><&CompanyFlightNr[1]><&Airline><&FlightNr><&b>      <&#[2]:20><&Registration>/<&AircraftTypeShort>  <&SELCAL> <&#[2]:58>ROUTE:<&RouteName:16/R>

DEP: <&From[2]> <&DepRwy>   ELEV <&FromElev:5> <&AU>   <&IsCostIndex_Begin>COST INDEX: <&InitCruiseSpeed[1]:10>   <&IsCostIndex_End><&IsMach_Begin>MACH:       <&InitCruiseSpeed[1]:10>    <&IsMach_End><&IsFixedSpeed_Begin>CRUISE:     <&InitCruiseSpeed[1]:12><&IsFixedSpeed_End>  <&#:58>TTL G/C DIST: <&GCDist:5> NM
ARR: <&To[2]> <&DestRwy>   ELEV <&ToElev:5> <&AU>   INIT ALT:   <&InitCruiseAlt:9> TTL F/P DIST: <&FPDist:5> NM
DEP GATE                            FUEL BIAS:  <&CruiseFuelBias:5/R>%    TTL AIR DIST: <&AirDist:5> NM
                                                          AVG WIND CMP: <&WindComp:5> KT
<&Required_Alternate1_Begin>ALT: <&Altn1[2]> <&Altn1Rwy>   ELEV <&Altn1Elev:5> <&AU>   <&Altn1Dist> NM<&Required_Alternate1_End>
<&Required_Alternate2_Begin>ALT: <&Altn2[2]> <&Altn2Rwy>   ELEV <&Altn2Elev:5> <&AU>   <&Altn2Dist> NM<&Required_Alternate2_End>
<&TakeOffAlternate_Begin>T/O: <&TOAltn[2]>       ELEV <&TOAltnElev:5> <&AU>   <&TOAltnDist> NM<&TakeOffAlternate_End>
<&b>CONFIG      DOW  PAX   CARGO   TOTAL   ULOAD LIM             ZFW     TOW     LDW<&b>
<&Configuration:8> <&DOW:6>  <&TotalPax:3>  <&Cargo:6>  <&Payload:6>  <&Underload:6> <&UnderloadLimit:3>     <&b>MAX<&b>  <&MZFW:6>  <&MTOW:6>  <&MLDW:6>
                                                     <&b>PLN<&b>  <&ZFW:6>  <&TOW:6>  <&LDW:6>
                                                     <&b>ACT<&b>  ......  ......  ......
<&ATCFlightplan>
<&PerformanceSection_Begin>
<&TO_Data_Begin>** TAKE-OFF DATA <&From> <&TO_Runway> **

COND:    <&TO_Weight> <&WU> // RWY <&TO_RunwayCond> // <&TO_Temperature>°C  <&TO_Pressure>  <&TO_Wind>  // LMT: <&TO_LimitCode>
CONFIG:  <&TO_Flaps> // <&TO_ThrustSetting> // A/I <&TO_AntiIce> // A/C <&TO_AirCond>
SPEEDS:  V1=<&TO_V1>  VR=<&TO_VR>  V2=<&TO_V2>
ENG OUT: <&TO_EOSID[9]:70>
<&TO_Data_End><&LDG_Data_Begin>** LANDING DATA <&To> <&LDG_Runway> **

COND:    <&LDG_Weight> <&WU> // RWY <&LDG_RunwayCond> // <&LDG_Temperature>°C  <&LDG_Pressure>  <&LDG_Wind>  // LMT: <&LDG_LimitCode>
CONFIG:  <&LDG_Flaps> // A/I <&LDG_AntiIce> // A/C <&LDG_AirCond>
SPEEDS:  VREF=<&LDG_VREF>  VAPP=<&LDG_VAPP>
ENG OUT: <&LDG_EOSID[9]:70>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<&LDG_Data_End>

<&PerformanceSection_End><&RedispatchSection_Begin>

****************************** <&b>RE-DISPATCH PLANNING<&b> ****************************

INIT RELEASE <&From> TO <&RedispatchDestination> SUBJECT TO INFLT RE-DISPATCH ONTO <&To> OVER <&RedispatchFix>

FUEL BURN FROM <&From:5> TO <&RedispatchFix:5> <&RedispatchBurnFromDepToFix:6>
PLAN REMAINING OVER     <&RedispatchFix:5> <&RedispatchFixFuelRemaining:6>          ACT REMAINING OVER <&RedispatchFix> ........
REQD OVER <&RedispatchFix:5> TO DEST <&To:5> <&RedispatchFuelRequiredFromFixToDestination:6>
                TO ALTN <&RedispatchDestination:5> <&RedispatchFuelRequiredFromFixToRedispatchApt:6>          RD EXTRA FUEL  <&RedispatchExtraFuel:6>

********************************************************************************
<&RedispatchSection_End>
               FUEL    CORR    ENDUR
<&TripFuelCaption:12> <&TripFuel:6>  ........  <&TripTime:5>
<&ContingencyFuelSection_Begin><&ContingencyFuelCaption:12> <&ContingencyFuel:6>  ........  <&ContingencyTime:5><&ContingencyFuelSection_End>
<&AlternateFuelSection_Begin><&AlternateFuelCaption:12> <&AlternateFuel:6>  ........  <&AlternateTime:5><&AlternateFuelSection_End>
<&FinalReserveFuelSection_Begin><&FinalReserveFuelCaption:12> <&FinalReserveFuel:6>  ........  <&FinalReserveTime:5><&FinalReserveFuelSection_End>
<&HoldFuelSection_Begin><&HoldFuelCaption:12> <&HoldFuel:6>  ........  <&HoldTime:5><&HoldFuelSection_End>
<&AdditionalFuelSection_Begin><&AdditionalFuelCaption:12> <&AdditionalFuel:6>  ........<&AdditionalFuelSection_End>
<&MELCDLFuelSection_Begin><&MELCDLFuelCaption:12> <&MELCDLFuel:6>  ........<&MELCDLFuelSection_End>
<&BallastFuelSection_Begin><&BallastFuelCaption:12> <&BallastFuel:6>  ........<&BallastFuelSection_End>
<&EROPSFuelSection_Begin><&EROPSFuelCaption:12> <&EROPSFuel:6>  ........<&EROPSFuelSection_End>
<&MinTakeOffFuelCaption:12> <&MinTakeOffFuel:6>  ........  <&MinTakeOffTime:5>       .....................................
<&TankerFuelSection_Begin><&TankerFuelCaption:12> <&TankerFuel:6>  ........<&TankerFuelSection_End>
<&ExtraFuelCaption:12> <&ExtraFuel:6>  ........  <&ExtraTime:5>       CAPTAINS SIGNATURE  (....)
<&TaxiFuelCaption:12> <&TaxiOutFuel:6>  ........  <&TaxiOutTime:5>       
<&ReleaseFuelCaption:12> <&ReleaseFuel:6>  ........  <&ReleaseTime:5>       I ACCEPT THIS OFP AND I AM FAMILIAR
                                           WITH THE PLANNED ROUTE AND AERODROMES
METAR <&From>
METAR <&To>
NOTAM <&From>
NOTAM <&To>
<&From:4>  <&b>STD<&b> <&STD>Z/<&STDLocal>L  <&b>ETD<&b> <&ETD>Z  ACT OFBL ....  <&b>EST T/O<&b> <&EstimatedTakeOffTime>Z  MEZ OFBL ....
<&To:4>  <&b>STA<&b> <&STA>Z/<&STALocal>L  <&b>ETA<&b> <&ETA>Z  ACT ONBL ....  <&b>EST LDG<&b> <&EstimatedLandingTime>Z  MEZ ONBL ....
      <&b>SKD<&b> <&ScheduledEET>          <&b>PLN<&b> <&PlannedEET>   TTL BLCK ....  <&b>EST FLT<&b> <&TripTime>   TTL FLT ....

<&b>END FLIGHTPLAN <&FlightplanID[1]:5>  <&Airline><&FlightNr>   <&Registration>   <&From>-<&To>   <&DepartureDate><&b>

AWY      WAYPOINT   MT    ALT  WND/VEL   TAS  DIST  FUEL REM / USED   LEG   ACC
         NAME             TMP     FREQ    GS   REM  POSITION          ETO / ATO
<&NavLog_Begin><&SpeedChange_Begin>--- CRUISE AT <&Speed:8/L>---------------------------------------------------------
<&SpeedChange_End>
<&ETOPSEntry_Begin>--- ETOPS ENTRY <&NextLegDist[1]:4> NM BEFORE <&NextFixIdent:5> -------------------------------<&LegTime[8]:4/R>  <&TimeEllapsed:5>
                                                   <&Latitude[2]:7> <&Longitude[2]:8> ...../.....

<&ETOPSEntry_End>
<&Class2Entry_Begin>--- CLASS II ENTRY <&NextLegDist[1]:4> NM BEFORE <&NextFixIdent:5> ----------------------------<&LegTime[8]:4/R>  <&TimeEllapsed:5>

<&Class2Entry_End>
<&RedispatchFix_Begin>******************************** RE-DISPATCH FIX *******************************
<&RedispatchFix_End><&Awy:8> <&FixIdent:9> <&MT><&Altitude:7/R>  <&Wind:7>  <&TAS:3> <&LegDist:5>    <&FuelRemaining[4]:6> /<&FuelUsed[4]:6> <&LegTime[8]:4/R>  <&TimeEllapsed>
<&FIRChange[1]:7>  <&FixName:16> <&OAT:3>   <&FixFreq:6>  <&GS:3> <&DistRem:5>  <&Latitude[2]:7> <&Longitude[2]:8> ...../.....
<&RedispatchFix_Begin>********************************************************************************<&RedispatchFix_End>
<&Class2Exit_Begin>--- CLASS II EXIT  <&NextLegDist[1]:4> NM BEFORE <&NextFixIdent:5> ----------------------------<&LegTime[8]:4/R>  <&TimeEllapsed:5>

<&Class2Exit_End>
<&ETOPSExit_Begin>--- ETOPS EXIT  <&NextLegDist[1]:4> NM BEFORE <&NextFixIdent:5> -------------------------------<&LegTime[8]:4/R>  <&TimeEllapsed:5>

<&ETOPSExit_End>

<&NavLog_End>

Edited by Konterhalbe
  • Like 2

Eminently useable, and for those of us who agonize over flight planning minutiae, still irreplaceable.

• Like 2

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

So there used to be an aircraft performance site specifically set up for PFPX profiles, but it's now long defunct.

Where do you guys get your profiles from for new planes? Specifically, does anybody have a working A20N or similar working profile for PFPX? I've been trying to add the A320-251N CFM variant but haven't had any luck. Interestingly I was able to add FlightFactor's A359 but I just cannot get the A20N to show up in the aircraft editor.

Any accurate aircraft profiles, for that plane or any others that are accurate, would be much appreciated, or a pointer on where I should go to find these now. 

Thanks.

I believe it does not generate preferred ATC routes (at least in the US)?

10700k / Gigabyte 3060