Sign in to follow this  
vonmar

3D Landing Lights?

Has anybody tried the 3D lights by shock wave for FSX yet? Is this just a lighting effect or does it illuminate stuff?Also if they figured out how to add 3D lights as landing lights, how come no one has figured how to bring the rain and snow effects on the windshield back to FSX?

Guest q8pilot

I just got it, tried it and all I can say is:Not bad, Not 3d actually, just an .FX modification.

Guest JIMJAM

$10 for landing lights.:-lol

Downloaded them and added them to the Flight1 ATR 72-500, and like them much better than the default ones. With exchange rate only comes to a purchase price of

>Also if they figured out how to add 3D lights as landing>lights, how come no one has figured how to bring the rain and>snow effects on the windshield back to FSX?The rain and snow effects on VC windshields cannot be fixed outside of the SDK. The current graphics engine does not support animated bitmaps and that is what is required to simulate these effects. Here's to hoping for the next version to fix this...Best,Owen

Do you need light bloom enabled? And any impact on frame rates?Cheers,N.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

No light bloom doesn't need enabled, and no impact on framerates from what I've seen.

I just watched the demo movie and was mighty impressed. Volumetric lighting has been something that I wanted for a long time, because it simply looks awesome in X-Plane.I will purchase tonight.Pat

Guest JSPuonti

>Volumetric lighting has been something that I wanted for a>long time, because it simply looks awesome in X-Plane.The term "volumetric lighting" is a bit of a stretch here, but I can understand how easy it is to make that mistake :) Volumetric lighting implies that the light reacts to obstructions - for example causing "columns of light" when the leaves of a tree or clouds in the sky partially block the light's path.As far as I can tell the add-on in question does not do this - as good as it looks, if you park your plane in front of an obstruction such as a pole the pole won't "split" the light in two.Shockwave themselves correctly advertise these as "3D lights", which is what they are. I have to admit they look very nice.

The real problem that I can see is that there are no instructions on how to configure these lights for AI and 3rd party aircraft other than a trial and error system. There is no readme with the package but information is available in a lmited form at present and hopefully a more detailed explanation may eventually arrive at their forum:http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=32

Maybe I'm not very perceptive but what's so strange in that picture? I bought the package and I'm very satisfied. It's not real "light" as in "light sources" (other objects aren't lit up by them) but they do give justice to the very intense landing lights of real airliners.And at no impact FPS wise as far as I've seen.Very nice :()/Jonas

Can some elaborate on this product for me. I am so disappointed that JFK VOR 13L/R has no lead in lights. It is a great approach and lead in lights are required. Does anyone know if there's a fix to this? FS2002 had it, FS9 and FSX didn't have them.

Paul Gugliotta

They're talking about the landing lights on the aircraft itself."lead in lights--green" which come off the runway to the taxiways, to the apron area; are low visibilty route lights usually required as a part of the runway and airport certification for low vis operations and, I think, also a part of the runways approach category type requirement (CAT I, II, III, etc.) for that particular runway.A runway with a VOR approach would most likely not require lead in lights because the minimums are not low enough for them to come into play even though they me be present and working all the time. Keeping in mind also that the same runway may also have a CAT III ILS approach as well which would explain why you see them.Now why airports have them on when VFR conditions exist...hard to say...maybe once they're installed they're just always on or they are also a part of the new runway safety program.I think that's probably more information then you needed and may not be entirely accurate, but close.Edit: To answer the other part of your question, you can change the scenery to more accuratly reflect the real world layout of the runway type, etc.. Just do a search here in the scenery design forum.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply