Not gonna get trapped in that click bait, what's the gist of it?

• Like 5

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

4 minutes ago, MarcG said:

Not gonna get trapped in that click bait, what's the gist of it?

He states in it that HP are planning to pull out of the VR market

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

Ok, no solid proof then, thanks 

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

HP has been rumored to be dropping its VR hardware by the end of 2023. If you do a Google search, there are a few articles on this subject. 

NAX669.png

Well, here's the proof that was sort of quoted.  Second hand info at best, though its poster is credible enough as is the vid's author.  No official HP word, though they would be fools to announce such a decision if they, as 'leaked', still have lots of inventory on their hands.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

On 2/2/2023 at 1:47 PM, MarcG said:

Ok, no solid proof then, thanks 

No proof that HP is getting out of the VR market, indeed. However, the G2 is out of stock everywhere here, it's impossible to find a new one, even on the HP store. Only third party vendor still sell (or pretend to sell) it, without any information about the version... The fact that the G2 is now impossible to buy is a good proof that the production has stopped for this model.

I hope this isn't a sign that VR will go on a decline. While there are several options left at price ranges < 500$ and > 1500$, there wouldn't be any mid-range model inbetween reaching the popularity of the G2.

Factoring in the results of the latest Navigraph survey where VR seems to be stagnating, at least for flight simulation, makes me worrying.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I wonder if the Acer Spaciallabs 3d monitor type technology will have an impact on the VR market overall. 

3 hours ago, pmb said:

VR seems to be stagnating, at least for flight simulation, 

Not just for flight simulation. Since the very delayed Lone Echo 2 there has been no tripple A production of a VR Title.

The peak was Half-Life Alyx, but that seemed to have been a storm in a teacup. 

The market is done, if you ask me.

Pretty much the same as the 3D-TV homemarket. People in general seem to despise the idea of having to wear glasses or goggles, and so the majority moved to 4K instead of embracing 3D or VR.

8 hours ago, Daube said:

No proof that HP is getting out of the VR market, indeed. However, the G2 is out of stock everywhere here, it's impossible to find a new one, even on the HP store. Only third party vendor still sell (or pretend to sell) it, without any information about the version... The fact that the G2 is now impossible to buy is a good proof that the production has stopped for this model.

I just checked the US HP store website and successfully put a G2 in my cart for $599 with an estimated delivery on 2/10.   Didn't buy it though, for my currently owned G2 still serves me well.

This article claims that this is HP's response to this rumor:

When we asked, HP did not comment directly on Lynch’s rumors about a possible end to its VR business. The company did release the following statement, which is open to interpretation:

“The work of our HP Extended Reality (XR) team has produced exciting innovations with which we continue to create immersive experiences. Our customers are at the center of our strategy, and we will continue to evolve our offerings to best meet their needs. Our work in the XR market provides a solid foundation on which to build.”

Seems a rather positive statement about continued HP support for VR products to me.  IMO a 'we'll see' scenario going on here.

Edited by TheFamilyMan
  • Like 1

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Well I don't know what they are building, but the fact is that in countries out of the US, there is:

1- no nice sales to buy it at 300$ ever

2- nothing to purchase.

Here in France, until last week or so, the only choice left was the special 'Omnicept" version at 1200/1399 euros, and even that one has disappeared now. When you click on the VR section of the shop, it won't even reach it anymore. Same goes for UK. In Spain you can still find an Omnicept.which is indicated as "last units". How do you explain, if all stocks are sold, that HP doesn't deliver anymore ? One reason could be... because the G2 is not produced anymore.

Of course, another reason could be that HP only wants to sell in the US because they don't like Europe or something... I prefer the first theory above.

Plenty of G2's (non Omicept) available in Germany:

https://geizhals.de/hp-reverb-g2-1g5u1aa-a2321111.html

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

1 hour ago, Daube said:

Well, that website doesn't even reply 😕

Besides, that would still be a third party vendor, selling its remaining stock.

Maybe I can help you. This is not one vendor but a listing (counting 32 offers overall).

spacer.png

Kind regards, Michael