Sign in to follow this  
rooster hancock 2003

P3d V4 into P3d V5.3?

Hi all. A simple question. How much of a risk am I taking if I install V4 scenery into V5.3. I’m doing a fresh install of V5.3 and don’t want to mess it up. Thanks in advance.                                            Malcolm Hancock 

Malcolm Hancock

If you install via the add-on.xml method (ie not in the sim folder itself) then it's very easy to remove the scenery if it turns out not to work. You just need to disable the add-on in the sim. 

I would imagine V4 scenery will work fine with V5 in most cases, just the installers might be a problem because of paths. 

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

I can't think of any risks. I've installed a great number of V4 scenery add-ons into 5.3, and even older add-ons (V3 and FSX), and while some don't look as nice as newer add-ons, there haven't been any crashes or similar...

• Like 1

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

You may already know this, but when installing V4 scenery to V5 there will be a bleed thru of scenery objects from V5 thus

buildings from V5 will show thru the V4 scenery, i.e. V4 will show a hanger that is halfway inside a V5 hanger or part of a V5

runway will not be aligned with V4. Bits and pieces of V5 objects will not jibe with V4.

This is true, you might (not in all cases) need to exclude the newer default buildings that V5 provides. You can either do that yourself, or often you can download mods that exclude them.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

I think probably half of my 370 add-on sceneries were made for v4 and even earlier.  There's no risk in trying...if it doesn't work, you can uninstall/delete it.

The two biggest roadblocks are, as already mentioned, the possibility that v4 autogen scenery objects in the default scenery will conflict with the add-on's (autogen objects, as opposed to the standard scenery objects used before v4 came around, have to be removed in a separate exclude layer placed below the add-on in the scenery configuration).  You can do that yourself with ADE, or outfits like iniBuilds have a score of already-made "compatibility files" made expressly for that purpose.  The other, potentially more difficult problem is that the digital elevation models were rebuilt from updated data when v5 was compiled (FSX and all versions of P3D prior to v5 were all made from the same 2006 elevation data), so there are small but occasionally significant elevation differences that can interfere with ground texture layering, cause floating/sunken buildings etc.  Whether there's a problem with a particular scenery is a hit-or-miss thing, but there are some of my v4/v3/FSX sceneries that proved unusable in P3Dv5 for that reason...I'd guess maybe 10% of them are so affected.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

It's worth doing the Windows Registry tweak to get the v4 installers to install into P3D v5. Take a backup of the 2 Registry keys first (by exporting them) before you make the change and then you can easily go back just by double clicking the exported files. I just leave the tweaks in place as they don't affect v5 installers.

• Upvote 1

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS