Sign in to follow this  
markgrinyer

Powerful computer - Progressive stuttering and lag

Hi

I just brought a new PC to run MSFS properly, but as time goes on during a flight there is a slight stutter or lag (starting within a few minutes of being in the world) to significant lags to stutters making it unplayable on final approach and after landing.

My new system is more than capable. 
i713700K OC 5.2
GTX 4080 16GB
32GB 5200mhz 

DLSS3 is enabled but has no effect

Honestly I don't even know where to start. All the drivers are up to date, I have changed the priority of flightsim.exe to highest on the processor priority (not realtime), and deleted the rolling cache which seem to be the most common found fixes on youtube, although these seem to be for older sim updates 

My Microsoft install is split across 2 drives, with Flight simulator on the main .M2 drive and the community folders on a HDD as I'm trying to keep the .M2 usage down below half to prevent is slowing down

Any ideas on where to start looking.    

• Upvote 1

Currently working my way through the PDMG catalogue, starting with the 777

Many Thanks. Mark

I highly recommend this video: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB4WNQJ77f0&t=14s

It helped me to get rid off stutters on my mid range system! I really think it is worth a try. It is mostly about deleting the shader cache...

Good luck!

• Like 1

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

1 hour ago, markgrinyer said:

the community folders on a HDD

eh that could be your answer, i had a friend doing the same thing with linker on HDD, i told him to try everything on SSD, it was night and day for him, never had to bother with settings and such all the time. It also makes some sense, if every time FS need to access something on the HDD it's going to be super slow

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Muds said:

eh that could be your answer, i had a friend doing the same thing with linker on HDD, i told him to try everything on SSD, it was night and day for him, never had to bother with settings and such all the time. It also makes some sense, if every time FS need to access something on the HDD it's going to be super slow

In that case, start up with the Community folder empty, as a test.

I would be surprised if that were the culprit.. 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bert

2 hours ago, markgrinyer said:

Any ideas on where to start looking.    

As a test, turn off Traffic.

Bert

I had the same result too after my recent upgrade.

My current setup is 13600K with 6750XT at 1440p

But I would keep all your FS related folders in the SSD NVME drive, what brand are you using?  It doesn't really slow you down on the read speed, it is more on the write speed.  You should be ok at 80 to 90% of the capacity.

What resolution are you running at?

Do you have ReBar enabled? I got some boost with it.

Also, you may want to disable the refresh rate, experiment it, in my case, turning it OFF pretty much got rid of 98% of my stuttering, or the sweet spot is 50% if i wanted to enable it.

The TLOD, i think between 150ish to 200 is ok, but you have to play around with the settings, same for other LOD....most ULTRA settings doesn't do much impacts.  

Some times DLSS might not be the best setting where TAA may perform better.

Remember DX12 is still in beta.

For traffic, i only use FSLTL, with no injector, only using FS live traffic, setting at 20 to 30 for ground traffic

Good luck!  You have a great setup

Edited by avistudent
  • Upvote 1

Enable DX12. Your MSFS setup probably defaulted to DX11. If DLSS 3 has no effect, it's because DX12 is not enabled. And remember that changes to the DX version do not take effect until you've closed and rebooted the sim from scratch. Also, make sure your LOD and Render Scale are not ridiculous.

Edited by David Mills

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Hi All

I moved everything back on to the NVME and done the steps in the video. Did a flight from EGCC to EGAA (previous flight was EGPE to EGCC) and it seemed to be running smoother (shame my landing wasn't lol) after putting FSTL back to default settings.

Answers to the questions

DX12 is enabled

Running at 3840x2160.

What's Rebar?

Refresh rate is 100% of monitor refresh rate which is 60hz as I use a TV.

TLOD is 325 (random, guessing Nvidia did it) as I know I have a beefy system now (bit more than my old 4770k and 2090ti lol). Pretty much everything is at Ultra. I have TAA on with DLSS3 as DLSS blurred the motion of the instruments as it does in other games. Render scale is 100

I'll now fly back to EGCC and see how it handles going back into a busier airport than EGAA

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply and share ideas

Edited by markgrinyer
More details
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Many Thanks. Mark

17 minutes ago, markgrinyer said:

What's Rebar?

Resizeable BAR (base address register)--it's a feature of later versions of PCIe that allows the CPU to have direct access to the full GPU frame buffer, rather than just paging in 256MB increments.  Has to be enabled in all three of the motherboard chipset, the GPU firmware, and the CPU microcode to be activated.  So far I haven't seen any real beneficial use of the capability in any flight sim.

• Like 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Are you motherboard drivers up to date? I upgraded my CPU recently and jumped straight into the sim not thinking about the motherboard and performance was awful. Updated the drivers and the difference was night and day. You could also try installing your graphics drivers using NV Clean Install. Nvidia installs lots of bloatware on a machine with the geforce experience. You could also download ISLC Intelligent Standby List Cleaner to purge memory. Not setting everything on Ultra could also help you out, watch some videos on settings guides to get the most out of your system. Also make sure you're not bottlenecked by your CPU.

• Like 1

Hi

Just finished the EGAA-EGCC flight. Seemed reasonably smooth (would stutter for a few frames then go back to being smooth again) until I touched down when it would start lagging in bursts a lot more, mainly going over fresh concreate patches on the runway. I am using MACCO EGCC which I got because reviews said there was little impact on FPS, and I never had any issues on my older system which was far less powerful.

During taxiing to the gate I reduced the Terrain LOD to 200 and objects LOD to 100, and it got worse. It seemed to settle down to a few lags in a 5 second window once had turned of RWY23R and facing the terminal buildings with TLOD at 325 and OLOD at 200 

My next flight is EGCC-LFPG (I use a pilots life V2). That will be more of a test of if it is something building up and not clearing such as memory as it will be the longest flight I will have done on this PC, but will have to wait until Monday afternoon UTC at soonest  

My entire PC is new so I believe my motherboard drivers are up to date. I shall have a look and update if required

Many Thanks. Mark

What motherboard do you have?

If its a 790, you might want to check this link.

After upgrading my PC, I was getting long pauses all the time. Turns out it was the network chipset on the 790 motherboard.  Had to add a PCIe network card and disable the onboard network. Solved the majority of all the pauses I was getting. 

• Like 1

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

TLOD of 325 seems pretty high imo.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

tlod 325 it's way too big even for a 13700 -  Set to 200 and leave, second thing - you have a new system similar to mine and you need to check and update your motherboard bios. If you have series 7, the first bios are test bios - only now they come out better refined. 

Edited by Marcin_Poland
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi

I've turned TLOD down to 200 and OLOD to 100 but the stutter is still there. Above about 5000ft its a stutter for about 0.1 of a second every 2 seconds. Below 5,000ft particularly on approach its a stutter of about 0.5 seconds every 2 seconds. I have asked my PC manufacture how to update the BIOS as its under warranty and I see stuff about downloading software I know nothing about. I tried turning down all the ultra settings to high but this had no effect, neither did closing FSTL 

Many Thanks. Mark