Sign in to follow this  
roland_lfor

"P2Acars" project, interested?

Hi,

I'm a long time fan and user of Pilot2Atc and it's still with me in MSFS. For IFR flights, I use a lot the great Fenix A320. As English is not my native language and as I set a large bunch of ATC voices with non English accents :biggrin:, frequently I don't hear correctly important items. As I fly exclusively with a VR headset, it's an immersion breaking when I need to switch to P2A window in the desktop and read what I missed. So I had the following idea: why can't we use Hoppie ACARS system to interpret and upload main P2A messages in the ARCDU display (Fenix implements Hoppie ACARS)?

Of course such functionality would probably work with any other Sim/Aircraft that handle Hoppie ACARS (like the Toliss A320 for X-Plane).

So on Friday evening I started to study how Hoppie works and write a small program to try to do that (my first C# at the same time). It's a very early alpha, but I wonder if anyone would be interested?

Here's a first screen in the Fenix following the clearance delivery:

image_45.png

• Like 4

Roland

MSFS my local airport release: LFOR Chartres-Metropole

MSFS Plugins RAAS (registered FSUIPC7 required)

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

1 hour ago, Commander_K said:

so it would be possible to do?

Sure it is, its under active developement. The difficulty now is to discover extract and convert key items in the different sentence sequences based for example on approach or departure types. I'm using the conversation file optionaly written by P2A.

Maybe Dave could help if he has a dictionary reference? I don't know if the speech training tool is exhaustive.

Edited by roland_lfor

Roland

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

That could be interesting but limited to one aircraft. Sky4sim already display the atc exchange in vr so no need to exit vr to read what you missed. But still if some aircraft developpers incorporate this in existing aircraft display, way better.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

Not really, as it will be compliant with any client that use Hoppie Acars, independently of the simulator. (Toliss on XP as an example).

>>> See here the client list (I don't know if it's exhaustive)

Roland

And with the Acars protocol, I can request an answer from the pilot who has to use the ARCDU buttons (Wilco / Unable / Standbye). It adds task and life in the cockpit. Also upon an incoming message, the left "ATC MSG" button flash and ring if you don't read it shortly. That adds some fun :tongue:

Edited by roland_lfor

Roland

On 2/16/2023 at 8:19 AM, Commander_K said:

even not being in VR, it is interesting. brings a lot more immersion.

I believe the Beta is now usable. There is probably some clearance and departure cases that will be wrongly interpreted (because not yet encountered), but if you are interested to test and report back, drop me a PM.

At this time P2Acars will interpret and mirror to the ARCDU:

• Initial Clearance delivery
  • Taxi to runway (Reply requested)
  • TO clearance
  • Frequency changes
  • Climb altitude change (Reply requested)
  • Expect procedure
  • Descend procedure (Reply requested)
  • Descend altitude change (Reply requested)
  • APP clearance
  • Taxi 2 gate (Reply requested)

Maybe it's yet too much traffic, we'll see!

Roland

Are you saying that this could be used with P2A for offline clearances using CPDLC? If so, this is exactly what I was talking about in the fenix discord a few days ago.

I would be very interested in this.

Yes it is. 

I've made more than a dozen flights with it, fixing each situations that was wrongly interpreted and I believe the current Beta is robust now. 

Actually in the current Fenix version [1.0.6.146], there is bug because it stops polling CPDLC messages once landed, so we miss the P2A taxi instructions, which is a big pain for me on large airports :tongue:

A ticket is open @Fenix and I believe they fixed it as I received a few days later the ticket closure notification. Hopefully we'll get the fix in their next release.

If you want to beta test, send me an PM. A short ReadMe is ready.

EDIT: I saw that the FBW A32X supports Hoppie acars as well, but not tested (as I don't use it).

Edited by roland_lfor

Roland

Perfect! thanks a lot....it works great.

Finally the Airbus cockpit works at 100% without the need to connect to the network with the flight controllers and sometimes having difficulty understanding Pilot2ATC communications.

Thank you!

• Like 1

This is exactly what I was looking for. Sent you PM, will update with any feedback here if I get lucky enough to try it out 🙂