Sign in to follow this  
YYZ

New PC Specs.. how well will MSFS 2020 Run?

Hi everyone, hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I haven't upgraded my display yet so I'm using a Samsung curved 27" monitor for now.  I only have an old Thrustmaster but want to upgrade that too if feasible.  New machine is:

Win 11 Home

Intel i7-12700KF Processor

Deepcool AK620 CPU Cooler

ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F MB

MSI Geforce 3060 Ventus 3X 12GB VRAM

32 GB DDR5

Pair of 970 EVO plus 1TB PCIe drives

Deepcool AK620

EVGA SuperNova 750 Watt P/S

Should have added.. want to make sure before I purchase and download from MS

3060ti Minimum + 5800X3D

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

If you can get a better GPU like a 40 series

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

47 minutes ago, z06z33 said:

If you can get a better GPU like a 40 series

The price jump to a 40 was nuts, tried to keep it within a budget.  Thanks for the input, I will purchase the sim and see how it goes.

Now I have to make ISO files from my old sims as the new box doesn't have an optical drive!

4 minutes ago, YYZ said:

Now I have to make ISO files from my old sims as the new box doesn't have an optical drive!

Portable USB CD drives are cheap. 👍

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

12 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Portable USB CD drives are cheap. 👍

Yes, I have to order one Ray, but it's a Sunday afternoon and my old machine has an optical drive and is still running.  I wanted to make backups anyway.

I was able to get MS Combat FS 1, 2 & 3 running on the old machine and want to try on the new one.  It took quite a bit of tweaking under Windows 10, hopefully I can coax Win 11 to allow the same.

Pinto aka YYZ what is your budget?  

One thing I notice, you have specc'ed a lower-price level system, but then included DDR5 RAM which is more expensive.  You don't necessarily /need/ DDR5 if you're on a budget, although it's coming down in price and I'm not going to discourage you from getting DDR5 if your mind is set on it.

To get MS Combat FS 1, 2,3 you might need to use an emulator, especially CFS1.  There's some nostalgia.  Welcome back! 

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

My budget was to try and keep things at $2k for the machine, didn't need peripherals.  I checked many web sites for what was needed to run MSFS fairly well and I believe I hit those spec.  Even according to the MS website.  I ended up at $2100 + HST.  This is in Canada.

The next issue I'm having is trying to buy the sim!!  Can't do it from the MS website as I'm not in the US, Best Buy Canada servers won't connect so now I guess I will try Steam.

As far as CFS 1 on my old Win 10 machine, I didn't need to run it via an emulator so that was nice.. 

1 hour ago, YYZ said:

The next issue I'm having is trying to buy the sim!!  Can't do it from the MS website as I'm not in the US

Huh? This confuses me. Myself and numerous other Canadian MSFS users have no problem transacting with the MS Store for our purchases.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

6 minutes ago, odourboy said:

Huh? This confuses me. Myself and numerous other Canadian MSFS users have no problem transacting with the MS Store for our purchases.

It won't allow me to process the purchase.. even though I have an account and have purchased Office 365 subscriptions and the Win 11 OS.  Credit card on file.  I know, it's strange.  Made sure my VPN was off, tried it with it on.  Not a major deal, I'll get it purchased this week when I have a few minutes to try again

On 3/5/2023 at 9:27 AM, YYZ said:

The price jump to a 40 was nuts, tried to keep it within a budget.  Thanks for the input, I will purchase the sim and see how it goes.

If you haven’t already purchased the 3060 why don’t you see what you can pick up a 3090 for? Even a gently used one could be an option. Look at my specs in my signature, I run 4K at mainly ultra settings on a 55 inch Sony X90K and can maintain a solid 45 fps in the Fenix or PMDG, if I am flying less demanding aircraft then 60 fps is also achievable 

I’m not sure a 3060 would be a good pair with a 12700K. 

I also purchased from the MS Store as well with no issues 

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

6 hours ago, RJC68 said:

If you haven’t already purchased the 3060 why don’t you see what you can pick up a 3090 for? Even a gently used one could be an option. Look at my specs in my signature, I run 4K at mainly ultra settings on a 55 inch Sony X90K and can maintain a solid 45 fps in the Fenix or PMDG, if I am flying less demanding aircraft then 60 fps is also achievable 

I’m not sure a 3060 would be a good pair with a 12700K. 

I also purchased from the MS Store as well with no issues 

I went with the GeForce RTX™ 3060 VENTUS 3X 12G OC and so far it's been a great match.  Appreciate the input!!

• Like 1