Sign in to follow this  
snwboardn

Default Windows VBS Setting Slows Games Up to 10%

21 minutes ago, Seth2021 said:

...Still don't know if ESET  is compatible with this hardware virtualization extra protection of Microsoft.

No nor me, I need to look into it a bit more, but I don't see a lot of issues or warnings on the internet about it being turned off.

Edit:  IOBit, who are fairly well respected, have an article on turning it off to regain performance. 
Aparrently it has been measured as high as 28% performance loss with certain AMD processors.

I also found this: -

Is VBS important Windows 11?
The vast majority of ordinary users do not actually need VBS protection, so after installing Windows 11 or purchasing a Windows 11 computer, the first thing that must be done is to turn off VBS to improve computer performance. Especially for game users, the impact of VBS on game performance is quite obvious.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I don't even have that VBS / Core Isolation option in my Win11 installation?! Just wondering...

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

7 minutes ago, DAD said:

I don't even have that VBS / Core Isolation option in my Win11 installation?! Just wondering...

I wonder if it is something that is also switchable in the BIOS, and if it is, then the Windows setting doesn't need to show.

Have you checked the registry for the setting like shown in one of the guides?

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

39 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

checked the registry for the setting like shown in one of t

yep the key is not there. so probably nothing for me to further optimize then

• Like 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

2 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

The vast majority of ordinary users do not actually need VBS protection,

Like the rest of the junk that comes with windows 10/11. Anyone ever try atlas? 

14 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

...Anyone ever try atlas? 

No but it looks like it could be a world of pain.  You need to install all your drivers and background apps again from scratch for not much benefit. 

Best to just de-junk and optimise W11 I think.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2

Mine was disabled.
I enabled it, and now I can disable it to speed up Windows.

🥳

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

14 minutes ago, David Roch said:

Mine was disabled.
I enabled it, and now I can disable it to speed up Windows.

🥳

I hope you rebooted between changes or else you will have to redo the process all over again.   

This also works better with HAGS set to automatic mode, or you will get a discombobulated Windows background process manager!   :unsure:

PS.  What aircraft is that in your avatar picture?

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

PS.  What aircraft is that in your avatar picture?

A380 during Le Bourget Airshow in 2017.

Edited by David Roch
  • Like 1

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Other thing to try recommended by MS for better gaming apart VBS:

https://prod.support.services.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/options-to-optimize-gaming-performance-in-windows-11-a255f612-2949-4373-a566-ff6f3f474613?ranMID=24542&ranEAID=kXQk6*ivFEQ&ranSiteID=kXQk6.ivFEQ-kO7TBbOLBUmYvuOs1s1W4g&epi=kXQk6.ivFEQ-kO7TBbOLBUmYvuOs1s1W4g&irgwc=1&OCID=AID2200057_aff_7593_1243925&tduid=(ir__rdpjgfmyk9kfbnr3hlaqofswf32xqpam1fbjrkyr00)(7593)(1243925)(kXQk6.ivFEQ-kO7TBbOLBUmYvuOs1s1W4g)()&irclickid=_rdpjgfmyk9kfbnr3hlaqofswf32xqpam1fbjrkyr00

Turning off Memory Integrity  

1. Select Start , enter ‘Core Isolation’ in the taskbar, and select Core Isolation from the list of results to open the Windows security app.

2. On the Core isolation page, turn off the toggle for Memory Integrity. You might need to restart your device.          

My W11 had VBS deactivated though. Core isolation was on as I knew, I have to test, remember to revert to on after the MSFS or gaming session as recommended, at least the Core Isolation I guess.

Mine was on - turned off for now....Went to a few heavy airports where I was running at 49 - 51 fps before the change and after the change I was at 58 - 60 fps  -  but needs more testing obviously to see if there was any stuttering or other performance changes.

• Like 1

I hate to be "that guy", but...

...Microsoft made this the default for a reason. Similar protections have been available on Apple devices for years, but being Apple they force you to use it. Honestly, I wish Microsoft would have gone down the same forceful path, but I digress. At least they require TPM for Win11 (another feature that Apple has forced for years through forced obsolescence of old hardware).

As I understand it, VBS keeps applications from accessing the memory of other applications. Applications shouldn't be doing this to begin with, but bad programming and malware can get around that if VBS is not enabled. An example of how a lack of VBS might be exploited is a bug in an application exploited by a virus in order to obtain your user credentials and file system.

With that out of the way, be mindful of your tolerance for risk before disabling this. Are you tech savvy enough to have never been infected by a virus or do you only use your computer for gaming? By all means, turn this off. Do you make a significant amount of money, have bitcoin or large investments that you access regularly via your computer, and is your name all over the internet? Did you use LastPass on top of that? Yeah, maybe leave it turned on. Do you want to future-proof yourself from tomorrow's unknown threats? Also, good idea to leave this on.

Tom's Hardware is a gaming site. One that, IMHO, hasn't been very good since the early 2000's. Do not trust a gaming site for security recommendations.

• Like 1

Already disabled on my Win11 install and I never intentionally did that so it must've always been like it.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)