Sign in to follow this  
sivart2000

Some Advice\Recommendations\Opinions to a Late Adopter

So, I've been waiting to get into MSFS for a few reasons. Firstly, I've sunk a ton of money into P3D and between going to 5.3 and FINALLY getting my hands on a reasonably priced 3090ti, I'm very pleased with the visuals and performance. Additionally, I wanted to give MSFS time to mature and see what the verdict was on its success. And finally, I simply did not have enough space on my SSD's and I recently rectified that. I was under the impression before the release that the basic MSFS would provide a lot of the features that typically needed to be added on to P3D to bring it up to a good state of technical depth and immersiveness. It looks now like I was greatly mistaken and that to get an experience at least equal to P3D that I will need to add almost all the same DLC that I did for the older sim. So, I'm doing the deed this weekend and installing MSFS and would like to see what the community was to say about a few of my questions.

Number 1, what will the basic necessities be add on-wise? I would like to start with one good route for a tubeliner and do some bush flying to start. I know I can use my navigraph.

FSUIPC?

AIG Traffic?

What is the best weather engine?

Do any atmosphere/scenery textures need to be addressed?

Is my Track IR supported? Do I need anything like the Chase Plane add on?

GSX?

Anything else?

Next, can I get a couple recommendations for aircraft to start? 

Study level airliner, preferably not PMDG because I find the company and minions to be condescending, pedantic and full of broken promises. How's that GFO coming, Robert? My hope is that there will be enough competition in the MSFS space that PMDG will be a bit more customer oriented.

Good bush plane?

Good GA turboprop?

Finally, some opinions from MSFS honks.

I'm running A i7 9700k OC to 4.9ghz, 3090ti, 32 GB RAM@4000mhz and running off of M.2's. Can I expect the same or better performance than P3D?

Steam or standalone install?

How much time did it take you coming from P3D to get used to the UI, controls setup, update process and file system for addon installs?

Can I install sceneries etc., on a separate drive?

One last thing. If I am planning to use a lot of 3rd party addons, is there any advantage to the premium over the basic version?

If you made it all the through my post, I super appreciate it and I'm looking forward to hearing from all of you!

2 minutes ago, sivart2000 said:

Study level airliner, preferably not PMDG because I find the company and minions to be condescending, pedantic and full of broken promises. How's that GFO coming, Robert? My hope is that there will be enough competition in the MSFS space that PMDG will be a bit more customer oriented.

Finally, some opinions from MSFS honks.

I'm running A i7 9700k OC to 4.9ghz, 3090ti, 32 GB RAM@4000mhz and running off of M.2's. Can I expect the same or better performance than P3D?

Steam or standalone install?

How much time did it take you coming from P3D to get used to the UI, controls setup, update process and file system for addon installs?

1) The default A310 by Inibuilds
2) The Fenixsim A320

both "study level airliners"

Performance wise MSFS runs circles around every other sim ever brought to market, so you'll be fine. 

Took me maybe a couple of hours to get used to the UI, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It seems you already have numerous fixed ideas.
It might be better to install the default simulator and see if your preconceptions are justified,
before launching into either a further critique, or a buying frenzy.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Reader said:

It seems you already have numerous fixed ideas.
It might be better to install the default simulator and see if your preconceptions are justified,
before launching into either a further critique, or a buying frenzy.

Thanks guy. Super not helpful.

Wow, this one post is inquiring what is essentially the entire forum full of information, heh.

Most of the info is already here, if you spend the time to read through much of it, because I don't see how it can all be answered in 1 post so easily since it's mostly a matter of opinion of varying likes/dislikes and expectations on a lot of different addons. Watching YT videos, to see how certain addons actually perform, is probably more useful than opinions alone.

If you haven't already done so it may not be a bad idea to just install the base game and get used to it first, before deciding what you will want to add and in what order.

Edited by hangar
  • Like 7

18 minutes ago, sivart2000 said:

Actually the advice he gave was spot on. 

@hangar's recommendation to do some research on the forums would also be a good idea as well. Its not that we dont want to assist you, but most of this info is already on the forums and on top of that your already coming in with certain dislikes (pmdg etc).. So why not make the first decision regarding the method of install .. then fly around for a bit  then decide what you need and what you can do without ?

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 4

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

38 minutes ago, sivart2000 said:

So, I'm doing the deed this weekend and installing MSFS and would like to see what the community was to say about a few of my questions.

Suggest you read this..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Bert

42 minutes ago, sivart2000 said:

One last thing. If I am planning to use a lot of 3rd party addons, is there any advantage to the premium over the basic version?

I own the basic version and am happy with my choice... but the premium version has some attractive airplanes which might make it worth your while... The Baron and Citation Longitude for example.

As for initial airplanes to fly... suggest the G36 Bonanza, TBM930, and CJ4. No need to jump into addon aircraft.

Bush planes.. start with the freeware Gotfriends Carbon Cub.  

https://www.got-friends.com/collections/freeware

• Upvote 2

Bert

Thanks @Bert Pieke, actually very helpful! Also thanks @Ricardo41  I appreciate it! 

As far as the other replies, if you don't want to answer a question in my post then please don't answer it, I'll never know you even looked. But it really serves no purpose to provide a critique of my methodology. 

Edited by sivart2000
addendum

2 hours ago, sivart2000 said:

Except he's spot on.  Begin with a clean slate before shooting yourzelf in the foot.

sp

• Like 3

For Traffic get FSLTL, it's free, looks great, and one click install.  https://www.fslivetrafficliveries.com/

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

3 hours ago, sivart2000 said:

FSUIPC?

AIG Traffic?

What is the best weather engine?

Do any atmosphere/scenery textures need to be addressed?

Is my Track IR supported? Do I need anything like the Chase Plane add on?

GSX?

Anything else?

FSUIPC.....I don't think it is needed.  I bought the paid version a while ago and have never used it in MSFS.  You can set up a control profile for each aircraft within MSFS and that is mainly what I used it for in P3D.

AIG? Defintiely works well in MSFS and I used it for a while. I now use FSLTL, it is also free and works great with a very nice interface where you can set numerous options.  If you want some additional aircraft that are not included you can install AIG and it will utilize the aircraft that FSLTL does not include but might not be worth the effort.

You do not need a WX engine...default MSFS WX is awesome.

No WX textures needed...nor are they even available due to the way the clouds are generated.  There are some WX addons (REX, etc) but they create static WX 'bubbles'....totally not needed.  There are a couple good airport texture improvements, I currently use the one from Zinertek but REX also has one.  Both are good and improve the runway/taxiway textures, etc.  I do not think they are necessarily needed but a nice improvement.

TrackIR supported but I do not use it.  No Chaseplane but the default camera system can be made to work nicely.  There is a video on YT showing how to set it up to be similar to XP camera system

GSX...definitely a great addon in MSFS if you used it in P3D.

I have personally spent most of my $$ on airport addons since many of the default airports are a bit disappointing.

I can recommend the Fenix 320, the freeware FBW 320Neo and the included A-310 for airliners. For turboprops, the Kodiak 100 and Black Square Caravan are great. Default TBM supposedly pretty good now as well.  I would also check out the WT CJ4 included in the sim and the Longitude which have both been significantly upgraded. For a twin piston, the FlySimware C-414 is awesome.

Your system should handle the sim very well.  I use locked 30 fps with vsync but you will have to just test the different settings in the sim.  I would try to keep Terrain and Object LOD at 150+ but probably do not need over 200.  There are several good YT videos out there on recommended settings.

Edited by Flic1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Start with the vanilla MSFS. That is what actually makes the difference. You literally need not one single add on as a must have. Unlike we all got used to from previous sims though I can only speak up the FSX and a tiny XP11 trial. So I confirm other posts here. Just because we learned to pimp any previous sims does not mean we have to repeat this with MSFS. Scenery? Exceptional. Live Weather? Impressive. Live traffic? Skies are full. Planes? Tons of default and free planes incl. the A310 and especially the FBW320 or Headwind330. Let alone the Fenix320, AS CRJ or Justflight 146. Yes, I indeed collected some (payware) addons but these are 100% airports and airplanes. Nothing else and I come along quite well. Try it. You will be surprised what comes out of the box. 

Edited by DAD
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

@Bobsk8@Flic1 and @DADThis is more like what I wanted to know. I appreciate your time and input along with Burt and the others that gave information that is actually helpful to me.

@Flic1,

Some programs require FSUIPC, just get the free version. 

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Long quoted post removed

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310