Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

March 23, 2023 MSFS Development Update

MARCH 23RD, 2023 DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

Posted by: Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

vp_sim-Twitter-1.jpeg

Screenshot by vp_sim (Twitter)

This week has been full of activity for the team here at Microsoft Flight Simulator. On March 21, we launched the latest major release, Sim Update 12. You can read the full release notes on our forums here.

Also on March 21, we released the next plane in our Famous Flyers series, the Antonov An-2. This versatile STOL biplane from 1947 has been a big hit with players so far, and we’ve really enjoyed reading your feedback and comments. Additionally, Xbox players now have access to the Antonov An-225, previously released on PC three weeks ago.

On March 22, we hosted our latest Developer Livestream on Twitch. Our panel of Jorg, Seb, Martial, and special guests answered many questions from the community, discussed ongoing development, and went into detail about upcoming new content such as World Update XIII and the first of our Expert Series of aircraft, the ATR 42-600 / 72-600 from developer Hans Hartmann.

We also welcomed Evan Reiter from the Flight Simulation Association to announce that the MSFS team will be attending this year’s FlightSimExpo in Houston. If you missed the livestream, you can watch the replay video on our Twitch channel here. We will also publish it to our YouTube channel within the next few days.

During the livestream, Jorg announced a recent change to the pricing of some items in the Marketplace. As a way to show our gratitude to players who own the Deluxe or Premium Deluxe editions of Microsoft Flight Simulator, we are now happy to offer a 33% discount off the purchase of all first-party planes from the Marketplace to everyone who owns either of those editions. Thank you for your support!

MSFS Team

Development Update Banner

FEEDBACK SNAPSHOT

Click here for the web-friendly version of the Feedback Snapshot.

Wishlist Items in Active Development for March 23, 2022.Lifetime Bugs for March 23, 2022.

Page 1 of Lifetime Wishes for March 23, 2022.Page 2 of Lifetime Wishes for March 23, 2022.

DEVELOPMENT ROADMAP

Click here for the web-friendly version of the Development Roadmap.

DR_2023_03_02.png

MARKETPLACE UPDATE

Click here for the web-friendly version of the Marketplace Update.

This week we’re seeing the launch of FSReborn’s Sting S4 on Xbox! Check out the trailer for this ultralight aircraft:

There are 20 new and 43 updated products in the Marketplace this week. Thursday’s Marketplace update generally goes live between the release of this blog post and 5pm PT.

TUESDAY, MARCH 21:
unnamed1-1.png

New on PC and Xbox

unnamed6-1.png

New on Xbox

unnamed11-1.png

Updated on PC

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 23:

unnamed16-1.png

Updated on PC

THURSDAY, MARCH 23:

17 NEW PRODUCTS: 6 ON PC, 11 ON XBOX
unnamed21-1.png

New on Xbox

unnamed26-1.png

New on Xbox

unnamed31-1.png

New on Xbox

unnamed36-1.png

New on Xbox

unnamed41-1.png

New on Xbox

unnamed46-1.png

New on PC and Xbox

unnamed51-1.png

New on Xbox

unnamed56-1.png

New on PC

unnamed61-1.png

New on Xbox

unnamed66-1.png

New on Xbox

unnamed71-1.png

New on PC

unnamed76-1.png

New on PC and Xbox

unnamed81-1.png

New on PC and Xbox

unnamed86-1.png

New on PC

41 UPDATED PRODUCTS: 20 ON PC, 21 ON XBOX
unnamed91-1.png

Updated on Xbox

unnamed96-1.png

Updated on PC and Xbox

unnamed101-1.png

Updated on PC and Xbox

unnamed106-1.png

Updated on PC and Xbox

unnamed111-1.png

Updated on PC and Xbox

unnamed116-1.png

Updated on PC and Xbox

unnamed121-1.png

Updated on PC and Xbox

unnamed126-1.png

Updated on PC and Xbox

unnamed131-1.png

Updated on PC and Xbox

unnamed136.png

Updated on PC and Xbox

unnamed141.png

Updated on PC and Xbox

unnamed146.png

Updated on PC and Xbox

unnamed151.png

Updated on PC and Xbox

unnamed156.png

Updated on PC and Xbox

unnamed161-1.png

Updated on PC and Xbox

unnamed166-1.png

Updated on PC and Xbox

unnamed171.png

Updated on PC and Xbox

unnamed176.png

Updated on PC and Xbox

unnamed181.png

Updated on PC and Xbox

unnamed186.png

Updated on PC and Xbox

unnamed191.png

Updated on PC and Xbox

MARKETPLACE BACKLOG

Current Backlog: 1,068 Total

In the interest of transparency, we are now sharing the number of products that have been submitted by Third Party Developers for Marketplace approval. You can find this information in the tables below which show the number of backlogged products for PC and Xbox.

There are two tables: the first shows the number of new products awaiting release, and the second shows the number of products that have already been released but have an updated version pending.

BACKLOG: NEW PRODUCTS
CONTENT TYPE PC Xbox Total
Aircraft 33 41 74
Airport 155 136 291
Bundle 7 8 15
Livery 76 76 152
Other 4 5 9
Mission 41 41 82
Pack 1 1 2
Scenery 135 133 268
Total 452 441 893
BACKLOG: UPDATED PRODUCTS
CONTENT TYPE PC Xbox Total
Aircraft 13 9 22
Airport 41 32 73
Bundle 0 0 0
Livery 4 4 8
Other 2 1 3
Mission 13 13 26
Pack 0 0 0
Scenery 21 22 43
Total 94 81 175

SDK UPDATE

ASOBO
  • With the release of SU 12, we have received several reports on DevSupport about terraforming issues. We brought a new terraforming technique to the simulation, which aimed at getting rid of the “staircase” effect on slopes. It is versioned and your existing packages still rely on the old terraforming technique. However, when opening your source project with the Scenery Editor and saving it, your terraforming shapes will be switched to the new version and new terraforming will apply. This is not configurable. Some changes can be expected and require modifications on your side. We detailed everything in this post.
  • SDK & DevMode latest developments:
    • On the 3DSMax Exporter
      • We fixed the generate XML for simobjects (added .gltf in modelfile).

WORKING TITLE / MSFS AVIONICS FRAMEWORK
  • MSFS Avionics Framework
    • Documentation for the framework has been finalized for SU 12 and the source and project code publishing is also in progress – as soon as the packages are live, the documentation will also be published – keep an eye on our github MSFS Avionics Source Code Mirror this week for the update.
    • Upcoming framework updates:
      • Introduced new Flight Plan Predictions Provider interface to the framework. (AAU_02)
      • Introduced new Wind Entry interface to the framework. (AAU_02)
      • Expanded MapAltitudeArcModule to enable setting an initial map visibility. (AAU_02)
      • Expanded Horizon Projection to support relative coordinates and camera relative coordinates. (AAU_02)
      • Expanded FMC framework to support more scratchpad options. (AAU_02)
      • Expanded FSComponent to accept a style object and to allow rendering elements without children. (AAU_02)
      • Expanded FADEC and EngineEvents to support a larger number of indexed engines. (AAU_02)

THIRD PARTY UPDATE

• As of 03/19, we have now approved 209 (+0) third parties into the in-sim marketplace and – so far 184 (+0) have released 1,770 products on PC (+20) and 1,480 on Xbox (+16).
  • In total, 2,724 products (+18) have already been released in 3rdparty stores and the in-sim marketplace. Beyond that, another 776 products (+10) from 3rd party developers are in production (347 announced, 429 unannounced). In total, over 3,490 3rd party products (+18) have either been released or are in development.
  • Airports:
    • 1,864 airports (+12) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 1,600 airports (+11) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 1,004 airports (+11) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
      • 120 airports (+1) beyond the released airports have been announced.
      • 144 airports (+0) are not announced, but the dev let us know that an airport is in production.
  • Aircraft:
    • 587 aircraft (+2) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 217 aircraft (+3) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 155 aircraft (+3) have been released in the in-sim PC marketplace.
      • 125 aircraft (+2) have been released in the in-sim Xbox marketplace.
      • 207 aircraft (+0) beyond the released aircraft have been announced.
      • 163 aircraft (-1) are not announced, but the dev let us know that an aircraft is in production.
  • Scenery:
    • 883 scenery packs (+14) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 770 sceneries (+5) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 291 sceneries (+8) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
      • 20 sceneries (-1) beyond the released scenery have been announced.
      • 93 sceneries (+11) are not announced, but the dev let us know that scenery is in production.
  • Mission Packs:
    • 166 mission packs (+0) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 137 mission packs (+0) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 70 mission packs (+3) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
      • 0 mission packs (+0) beyond the released missions have been announced.
      • 29 mission packs (+0) are not announced, but the dev let us know that they are in production.

Community-Banner-GIF.gif

RENO AIR RACE SERIES

March 22 saw us complete the Grand Final round of our Reno Air Racing Series presented by Tobii. We were absolutely thrilled to welcome Dr. Fred Telling, Chairman and CEO of the Reno Air Racing Association, to our panel for the event. The seven finalists put on an absolutely fantastic performance, with all four races being very tightly contested. The five-way photo finish to the Unlimited class race was a particular highlight.

Congratulations to the top three podium winners, each of whom will take home an Eye Tracker 5 compliments of Tobii! If you missed it live, the replay is available on our Twitch channel (Part 1Part 2)

Final Standings:

COMMUNITY FLY-IN

For Greeks, March 25 is the Celebration of the Greek Revolution, a public holiday commemorating the beginning of Greece gaining independence from the Ottoman Empire in 1821.

For Fly-In Friday this week, we will be enjoying a beautiful and scenic flight over Greece, starting from the capital city of Athens where we will see globally-famous landmarks like the Acropolis and the original 1896 Olympic Stadium then onwards to Megara and Agrinio for touch & go landings before turning southbound and flying across the Peloponnese peninsula towards our full-stop at Kalamata.

Event details are available here. All are welcome to participate!

A white and blue aircraft flies towards the Acropolis in Athens. Community Fly-In: Greece. Join us on March 24th at 1900Z on twitch.tv/msfsofficial!

COMMUNITY VIDEO

When flying a vintage aircraft such as the recently-released Antonov An-2, many simmers may wish to use only those navigational aids that were available to real pilots from that era. YouTuber Jonathan Beckett published a video demonstrating how to perform a cold & dark startup in the An-2 and then take off and navigate from A to B using the legacy radio navaids ADF (Automatic Direction Finder) and NDB (Non-directional Beacon). Check it out!

SCREENSHOT CHALLENGE

You can submit your screenshot via Twitter with #MSFSchallenge or the Weekly Forum Post! This week’s screenshot challenge: Awe-Inspiring Aircraft

This past week’s Screenshot Challenge was City Skylines“!

vp_sim-Twitter-1.jpeg

Weekly Screenshot Challenge Winner: vp_sim (Twitter)

anark1a2004tj-Forum.jpg

Screenshot by anark1a2004tj (Forum)

DaveBGaming-Forum-1.jpg

Screenshot by DaveBGaming (Forum)

HolmesCZ6127-Forum-1.jpg

Screenshot by HolmesCZ6127 (Forum)

JohnStarp-Forum-1.jpg

Screenshot by JohnStarp (Forum)

mk89ns-Forum-2.jpg

Screenshot by mk89ns (Forum)

Parorng-Forum-1.jpg

Screenshot by Parorng (Forum)

satoshi_exe_-Twitter-scaled.jpeg

Screenshot by satoshi_exe_ (Twitter)

Stearman948713-Forum.jpg

Screenshot by Stearman948713 (Forum)

TidalPompano527-Forum.jpg

Screenshot by TidalPompano527 (Forum)

ZILLNIAZI17-Twitter.jpg

Screenshot by ZILLNIAZI17 (Twitter)

NEXT DEVELOPMENT BLOG UPDATE – March 30th, 2023

Sincerely,

Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

Edited by David Mills
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

1 hour ago, David Mills said:

we are now happy to offer a 33% discount off the purchase of all first-party planes from the Marketplace to everyone who owns either of those editions. Thank you for your support!

Nice. Well, I guess I'll add a couple planes then. Is this permanent or a promo?

Edited by brinx
  • Like 5

Flight Sim PC - OS: Windows 11 Pro. CPU: i9-13900K.  RAM: 64GB. GPU: NVidia RTX 4090 OC
Flight Sim Xbox - Seriex X, 3TB

So standard owners, (some of which may well of spent more than deluxe/premium via the marketplace), go ignored in this discount? 🤔 Seems a bit word not allowed towards standard owners just because they couldn't afford one of the other packages at the time of purchase, feed the rich eh!?

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

36 minutes ago, MarcG said:

So standard owners, (some of which may well of spent more than deluxe/premium via the marketplace), go ignored in this discount? 🤔 Seems a bit word not allowed towards standard owners just because they couldn't afford one of the other packages at the time of purchase, feed the rich eh!?

knowing that is may trigger a controversial debate I do not see a "feed the rich" topic here taking into account what the premium costs more and what HW many here invest(ed) in which is a magnitude of the MSFS premium uplift. I tend to agree though that some may have made a more educated decision to get the premium version at the very beginning if it was known from the very beginning that first party aircraft will come discounted. but even then knowbody would have ever known which aircraft that may (have) been, always easy(ier) looking back. I myself did eg not buy any of the MS aircraft yet, first one I am interested in is the ATR and even that is still not fully decided (since we just saw a first glimpse this week). thus I am happily waiting for the discounted ATR and see how that one develops. and yes, I bought way more airports through the marketplace which do not come discounted and were by now more expensive altogether than the MSFS premium version I bought. but I won't complain. the value for money is still much higher with MSFS than taking my wife to a nice restaurant 😉

• Like 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Yes that perhaps wasn't the best quote to use there! I have posted this elsewhere;

Why not follow the iRacing example; The more content you own (from the marketplace) the bigger the discount. Seems far more fair than completely ignoring a larger portion of the user base completely.

Or 20% discount for standard, 25% for Deluxe and 30% for premium, that way you're not ignoring a subset of users who had different reasons for purchasing the lowest package, thus still "thanking" them for their support as well.

Seems like another ill thought out marketing exercise, but this is Microsoft so why change lol 😆

Edited by MarcG
  • Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Horizon Line visible through mountains and objects - NOT PLANNED

Is that only an intermittent problem, as it sounds like something that really should be corrected if it is persistent?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

21 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Is that only an intermittent problem, as it sounds like something that really should be corrected if it is persistent?

I've never noticed it - have you?

• Like 3

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitor: 32” ASUS PG32UCDM 240hz 4K | Additional Hardware: HP Reverb G2, TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

34 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

"Too deep in the code" to fix, easily visible in certain light conditions.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MarcG said:

"Too deep in the code" to fix, easily visible in certain light conditions.

and especially in mountainous areas ...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

6 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I've never seen this artifact.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Also more noticeable in VR.

10 hours ago, MarcG said:

It is not unheard of to get more perks as you go higher up the tier in many products. I've seen that in many other places including with memberships. Game members get up to 20% off games purchased for example.

But if you bought standard and really do want to upgrade, there is an upgrade path to premium or premium deluxe too. 

• Like 1

Flight Sim PC - OS: Windows 11 Pro. CPU: i9-13900K.  RAM: 64GB. GPU: NVidia RTX 4090 OC
Flight Sim Xbox - Seriex X, 3TB

14 minutes ago, brinx said:

But if you bought standard and really do want to upgrade, there is an upgrade path to premium or premium deluxe too.

The problem is that it is helplessly overpriced and never went into discount so far except on release.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, brinx said:

It is not unheard of to get more perks as you go higher up the tier in many products. I've seen that in many other places including with memberships. Game members get up to 20% off games purchased for example.

I've never seen an upgrade path, only the two items always listed at face value which without any discount for lower owners. Not that I want or need them anyway, standard has been perfectly fine for me.