Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Trade some FPS in for increased Cloud Voxel Density?

I state the title of this as trade off because no question this comes into play. This screenshot demonstrates when frame rate is limited (in this case 34fps) the load on the GPU goes down accordingly.  Unlocked this shot was at ~62fps with GPU utilization at 99%.  Locking frame rate to 34 drives this same scene to 51% leaving headroom to accommodate a significant increase in cloud resolution.   Clouds on Ultra of course.  Especially at this kind of an altitude there isn't much appreciable difference between 34fps and 62fps, at least not nearly compared to having substantially higher resolution cloud depiction (like the examples below).  Not saying that RW level is going to happen anytime soon, but moving in that direction commensurate w/ hardware's steadily increasing capabilities.  I would love to see Asobo implement slider control for cloud resolution.  My GPU is no longer state of the art yet has massive headroom almost always and I would love to allocate that to cloud resolution. IMO we're not likely to see detailed distinct cloud morphology until resolution amps up.  Perhaps they can employ an algorithm that increases resolution the closer the plane is to cloud masses and decreases the farther away or something along those lines to help attenuate the impact of increased voxel density on the GPU.   

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Noel
  • Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Bought this sim for the clouds. Was disappointing there was so much drama initially with them, and the resultant FPS impact. It is (finally) worth the performance hit to get the ultra bestest greatest clouds 🙂

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

I must be at the wrong places all the time but I have yet to see towering cumulus like that in the current MSFS and resolution. It must be there because I saw something like it 2 years ago.

On a serious note, I vote for higher voxel resolution as well but it might work like with screen resolution and going from 2k to 4k could lead to quite an impact.

This MSFS loading screen made me think they either experiment with higher resolution or they edited the high level clouds in to make the screenshot look nicer:

spacer.png

I'm not sure how to respond.  My new system, listed below, is maxed out.  Yet I still get these ridiculous grainy edged clouds.  It's like they're made of filaments woven together.  It's not 100% of the time, but often enough.  Previous MSFS versions had good clouds, either with add-on textures or even default.  The edges were never poorly defined.  Now we have no cirrus clouds and sometimes little variation.  The way they flow over the plane, the lights reflect on them and the overall atmosphere is wonderful, but they really need to add some variety and fix that sketchy edged appearance issue.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

1 minute ago, Gerwil said:

I must be at the wrong places all the time but I have yet to see towering cumulus like that in the current MSFS and resolution. It must be there because I saw something like it 2 years ago.

I saw what was similar to a "towering" cumulus cloud yesterday heading into SLC.  It wasn't nearly as tall, but had that structure and was branching off and upward from all the others.

• Like 1

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

2 minutes ago, Orlaam said:

I saw what was similar to a "towering" cumulus cloud yesterday heading into SLC.  It wasn't nearly as tall, but had that structure and was branching off and upward from all the others.

Thanks a lot Chris, that sounds really comforting. I am just at the wrong places 🙂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gerwil said:

Thanks a lot Chris, that sounds really comforting. I am just at the wrong places 🙂

I've been searching out raining locations just because the effects are so much better in MSFS 2020. I even got some turbulence on realistic, despite some on here saying they aren't experiencing it after the change.  I had it set to low and never had turbulence.  Now it's occasional, which is the best balance.

- Chris

57 minutes ago, Orlaam said:

I'm not sure how to respond.  My new system, listed below, is maxed out.  Yet I still get these ridiculous grainy edged clouds.  It's like they're made of filaments woven together.  It's not 100% of the time, but often enough.  Previous MSFS versions had good clouds, either with add-on textures or even default.  The edges were never poorly defined.  Now we have no cirrus clouds and sometimes little variation.  The way they flow over the plane, the lights reflect on them and the overall atmosphere is wonderful, but they really need to add some variety and fix that sketchy edged appearance issue.

With your system my goodness you could manage much greater voxel density, and the more voxels per square area the less grainy. I so hope Asobo creates the algorithms to build clouds with greater voxel density set by slider per user preference--and with a substantial range from Low to UltraX or what have you.   Much like you can use the Render Scaling slider and take down the strongest of GPUs and then some I'd like to see that kind of range.  I'd like to be able to shift that cloud resolution slider to the right to the point I'm only getting 5 FPS to leave ample room for the next hardware upgrade to be able to address.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Gerwil said:

This MSFS loading screen made me think they either experiment with higher resolution or they edited the high level clouds in to make the screenshot look nicer:

The presets can be made to look very nice indeed, with a variety of clouds types (through tuning levels, not actually selecting types). Some of the add-on presets are stunning.

Unfortunately, the Live Weather data doesn't seem to be able to replicate it at the moment so we're left with some pretty uninspiring and repetitive skyscapes (certainly since SU7).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I've been asking for this since the beginning (tech alpha).  I'm guessing not a lot of simmers have flown near/around/through real clouds in general because of how happy most simmers are.  Yes we've come a long way when it comes to volumetric clouds but they are still very blurry and lacking detail when you're close to them.  There's another piece of software that was recently released that has even worse looking clouds, and lacks even more details than MSFS.

Edited by ryanbatc
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

While i generally agree with the OP i would prefer to see some more different cloud types first. This has been discussed many times before. The whole MSFS Weather consits of different forms of Cumulus clouds. Where are the Stratus layers? Where are the cirrus layers and all those types in between? I really miss them hot and humid days.

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

1 hour ago, ryanbatc said:

I've been asking for this since the beginning (tech alpha).

They have 'dumbed down' the cloud quality for sure, I guess it is always with frame rates in mind...

27 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

The whole MSFS Weather consits of different forms of Cumulus clouds.

I have been complaining about this forever. There are at least a dozen cloud types missing. All clouds are created out of cumulus clouds. In that regard msfs is gamefied. 

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

I can certainly run with ultra clouds by limiting FPS to 30.  My GPU fan runs at 30% with frames limited but at 80-90% unlimited.

Things that affect the appearance of clouds include:

DX11 v DX12

DLSS v TAA

Filmgrain 0 v 1 in the user cfg.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

10 hours ago, ThomseN_inc said:

While i generally agree with the OP i would prefer to see some more different cloud types first. This has been discussed many times before. The whole MSFS Weather consits of different forms of Cumulus clouds. Where are the Stratus layers? Where are the cirrus layers and all those types in between? I really miss them hot and humid days.

I think a good part of the reason we don't have stratus and cirrus and "all those types in between" is because it's hardly possible at this voxel density which is why I maintain you need to be able to get the resolution up before you can really get distinct enough morphologies and there is no question the hardware is already there.  And you won't see XP12 get there either until this is addressed in their volumetric clouds which are far worse than MSFS' currently.  And HiFi is limited by this as well should they get access to MSFS.

Noel

I have to say, that I do find the clouds to be awful in MSFS sometimes even on ULTRA. Just landed at Heathrow with this, I have to say, to me it looks pretty horrific and totally unrealistic.

https://imgur.com/a/zDMCuYS

Edited by abennett