Sign in to follow this  
ah2511

More on the FBW A380

Detailed interview with some of the FBW team. Lots of good info and some new previews too about 30-40mins in when the team start live streaming,

This looks like it could rival (if not surpass) some of the best…

• Like 12

An incredible piece of work, and I can't wait to fly it. My only slight wish is that it was the A340, which also deserves the FBW treatment. Nevertheless, an extraordinary project - keep at it, FBW team. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

An example of true dedication and talent, really can’t wait for this one. If anyone out in the community with aircraft dev experience can help this team deliver the a380 then please come forward.

1 hour ago, ah2511 said:

This looks like it could rival (if not surpass) some of the best…

The podcast hosts called it "next level".

It's early days, yet from what was described and shown in the linked video, that seems to be very likely.

I'm so excited for this!

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Is it a different dev team to the a320? Would be great to have a fully functioning vnav on the a320, still don’t have it yet, so doesn’t give me huge hope for the a380. 

On a personal level I won’t get it anyway because have no interest in sitting at my PC for the hours it would take to do an A380 route, but I’m sure so folk are super hyped for it.

Also not knocking the devs at all, obviously it’s freeware so grateful for anything they do!

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, abennett said:

Is it a different dev team to the a320? Would be great to have a fully functioning vnav on the a320, still don’t have it yet, so doesn’t give me huge hope for the a380. 

Same team, alot of work that happens on the 320 directly benefits the A380 as they share a lot of internal methods irl. Experimental version has VNAV but as you may or may not know, doesn't support RNAV (w/ vdev) approaches as of yet. This is due to some missing data produced by the MSFS navdata but will hopefully be resolved with our move to cFMS v2. The support is there mind you to do RNAV with vdev, just not the data. As for everything else regarding VNAV, I'll just quote V-1's statement on it, "By the book".  Just to add, A380 is already using cFMSv2.

On a personal level I won’t get it anyway because have no interest in sitting at my PC for the hours it would take to do an A380 route, but I’m sure so folk are super hyped for it.

That's the great thing about simming, you don't have to explictly follow real-world routes. However, if you must there's a number of short routes flown on the 380. Not all of it is long haul.

Edited by Lucky38i
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

With all the press stuff they are doing, I wonder if they are closer to a release than we think.

19 minutes ago, BrammyH said:

With all the press stuff they are doing, I wonder if they are closer to a release than we think.

look like avionics still far to be ready and is the hard part so  i think is going to takes one more year for sure

2 hours ago, abennett said:

... have no interest in sitting at my PC for the hours it would take to do an A380 route ...

Hopefully the A380 will allow a higher time compression factor than the FBW A320 which - as far as I know- is limited to only 2x.

3 hours ago, Lucky38i said:

Same team, alot of work that happens on the 320 directly benefits the A380 as they share a lot of internal methods irl. Experimental version has VNAV but as you may or may not know, doesn't support RNAV (w/ vdev) approaches as of yet. This is due to some missing data produced by the MSFS navdata but will hopefully be resolved with our move to cFMS v2. The support is there mind you to do RNAV with vdev, just not the data. As for everything else regarding VNAV, I'll just quote V-1's statement on it, "By the book".  Just to add, A380 is already using cFMSv2.

That's the great thing about simming, you don't have to explictly follow real-world routes. However, if you must there's a number of short routes flown on the 380. Not all of it is long haul.

Thanks for this. There are still some problems with VNAV in the A320 in experimental, it absolutely isn’t ‘bang on by the book’. But again not criticising, I genuinely believe it’s a brilliant project and it’s amazing what people have done with their free time.

Haha, I am one of the ‘musters’, it just gives me that extra kick to do what has been done in real life, hey, I never even do a flight without departing and arriving from the same gate and at the same time that the actual aircraft did. I will check out some of the shorter routes in the A380 for sure. 

It’s certainly an amazing project and an amazing aircraft, a friend of mine flies them for Emirates and is just totally in love!

Edited by abennett

MSFS is in desperate need of a good longhaul plane or two.  I've been dying for the PMDG 777 or Aerosoft A330.  I wonder how this will be in comparison.

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

3 minutes ago, sfgiants13 said:

MSFS is in desperate need of a good longhaul plane or two.

Yep, I really wanted to fly cross the pond yesterday but no aircraft to do it, and I didn’t want to have to reinstall P3D just for one day. Yeah I could have used to A310 I suppose, but I hate that aircraft. It’s ugly and too old. (Just like me).

1 hour ago, michael8 said:

look like avionics still far to be ready and is the hard part so  i think is going to takes one more year for sure

And yet:

3 hours ago, Lucky38i said:

alot of work that happens on the 320 directly benefits the A380
[...]
Just to add, A380 is already using cFMSv2

Meaning it is ahead of the FBW A32NX with regards to VNAV.
While I don't think the FBW A380 will release in the next couple of months, I think it may be ready as a v0.5 add-on in about 6 months' time.

6 minutes ago, sfgiants13 said:

I've been dying for the PMDG 777 or Aerosoft A330.  I wonder how this will be in comparison

The FBW A380 looks like it's going to thrash the Aerosoft A330 in Airbus systems capability and is very likely going to thrash the PMDG 777 with regards to visuals (texturing and small detailing like how button lights display / extra wear on the tiller handle by pilots' ring fingers).
That being said, I'm looking forward to these payware long-haul airliners arriving in MSFS.

Edited by F737MAX
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

The A380 festival that I know will occur on release at the new, upcoming, iniBuilds JFK and their already out LHR will be......interesting on Vatsim to say the least. I plan on adding to that mess! 

• Like 3

Eric 

2 hours ago, abennett said:

Thanks for this. There are still some problems with VNAV in the A320 in experimental, it absolutely isn’t ‘bang on by the book’.

You’re entirely fair to that opinion and we’re always open to criticism if it’s based on real world references specific to the FMS and version we model. We’re happy to hear what you might think needs improving in our GitHub issues or discord support channel.

We’re always in the spirit of improvement. 

• Like 5