Sign in to follow this  
altenae

Why is ASOBO not collecting CTD info automatically

Why is ASOBO not collecting CTD info automatically  ?
I have spend weeks and weeks to figure out why CTD's happen.
New PC , fresh install, drivers,  C++ renewed etc. etc. etc. etc, etc, e,tc ,etc ,etc ,
Now the CTD's are there after a full flight just before de-boarding (could be an GSX issue)
But the info in the logfiles tells me nothing !!!!!!!

I am sure that if ASOBO could debug the program on my PC they will find the issue.

In other words why not give us beter info and errors in the log when a CTD's happen.
Right now the only thing left is to abandon MSFS and never look back.

MSI Tomahawk Z790, I7-13700K, DDR5 6000mhz, MSI 4090, 3x SSD 980 PRO, Corsair 360 Liguid CPU cooler, Corsair H1200V2 power.

1 hour ago, altenae said:

I have spend weeks and weeks to figure out why CTD's happen.
New PC , fresh install, drivers,  C++ renewed etc. etc. etc. etc, etc, e,tc ,etc ,etc ,
Now the CTD's are there after a full flight just before de-boarding (could be an GSX issue)
But the info in the logfiles tells me nothing !!!!!!!

I am sure that if ASOBO could debug the program on my PC they will find the issue.

In other words why not give us beter info and errors in the log when a CTD's happen.
Right now the only thing left is to abandon MSFS and never look back.

Try running it with minimum add ons and especially without GSX and see what happens. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 hours ago, altenae said:

I think they do. 

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

9 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

I think they do. 

Agreed. What or who besides the OP say they don’t?

They do.  Why would they not?  The good part is they (ASOBO / MS) respond to the data.  Again, why wouldnt they?  Have faith my young Padawon.

sp

Edited by Sky_Pilot071
  • Upvote 1

I tend to attribute CTDs to having wonky addons. I would have a minimum required amount of addon when flying. Addon linker  helps with this.

Haven’t had a CTD in two years now and this on a machine with an overclocked CPU.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Wonky addons can cause CTDs, I had them (very rarely) and could eliminate them via a nesting procedure using the addons linker. Takes some time but is doable.

But that's half of the truth only. I had CTDs shortly after setting up my new system over X-mas. I traced the event viewer, and CTDs started to happen at the end of January, typical signature nvwgf2umx.dll, typical MSFS lifetime ~45 min. Independent on airport, city or just rural region. Clearing cache, downgrading drivers didn't help. I don't use Experience anyway. 

But thinking back, that was the point where I switched to DX12. I know I was on DX11 as on the old system when setting up MSFS, but felt brave enough to switch to DX12 a month or so later.

I switched back to DX11 a few days ago and no further CTD even on longer flights since. I hope I will not be proven wrong.

Asobo/MS do of course track CTDs via telemetry. There was an extended review on CTDs by Martial Bossard in the latest Q&A. As far as I understood, their data still indicate that they observe more frequent CTDs under DX12 than DX11, and they are not going to remove the 'beta' label and make DX12 default until they managed to invert this. 

BTW, I found a file "CrashReport.txt" under

C:\Users\[profile]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator

at least during the most recent CTDs.

Kind regards, Michael

Edited by pmb
  • Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

9 hours ago, altenae said:

As has been mentioned a few times in the developer Q&As (and Martial did a while presentation about it at a streamed MS game dev conference, if I recall), the team receives every CTD plus stack frame data (if able to be gathered) as long as the user doesn't cancel it or have the setting off in Windows, and this data is aggregated and can be digested in various ways.

Even armed with this data (which is still immensely insightful, many times), that doesn't make it automatically magically possible to understand how the error occurred. The sim may crash due to a missing pointer to an AI aircraft, for example, but simply having the crash (which is a small snapshot of the time of the crash) may not give you sufficient information to know why the aircraft pointer was missing; in a piece of software this complex the initial issue may have happened ages ago when the data was downloaded and maybe doesn't manifest until several hours into the flight.

TLDR: software is hard.

Edited by MattNischan
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, pmb said:

Wonky addons can cause CTDs, I had them (very rarely) and could eliminate them via a nesting procedure using the addons linker. Takes some time but is doable.

But that's half of the truth only. I had CTDs shortly after setting up my new system over X-mas. I traced the event viewer, and CTDs started to happen at the end of January, typical signature nvwgf2umx.dll, typical MSFS lifetime ~45 min. Independent on airport, city or just rural region. Clearing cache, downgrading drivers didn't help. I don't use Experience anyway. 

But thinking back, that was the point where I switched to DX12. I know I was on DX11 as on the old system when setting up MSFS, but felt brave enough to switch to DX12 a month or so later.

I switched back to DX11 a few days ago and no further CTD even on longer flights since. I hope I will not be proven wrong.

Asobo/MS do of course track CTDs via telemetry. There was an extended review on CTDs by Martial Bossard in the latest Q&A. As far as I understood, their data still indicate that they observe more frequent CTDs under DX12 than DX11, and they are not going to remove the 'beta' label and make DX12 default until they managed to invert this. 

BTW, I found a file "CrashReport.txt" under

C:\Users\[profile]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator

at least during the most recent CTDs.

Kind regards, Michael

Is the crash report a readable format what makes sense to us?

MSI Tomahawk Z790, I7-13700K, DDR5 6000mhz, MSI 4090, 3x SSD 980 PRO, Corsair 360 Liguid CPU cooler, Corsair H1200V2 power.

Of course they do.

Definitely sounds like a you problem, unstable overclock, add on issues etc. I use and have used MSFS in dx11 with very few problems.

dx12 causes ctd’s for me. Dx11 fine.

Edited by flightskyc

37 minutes ago, altenae said:

Is the crash report a readable format what makes sense to us?

Partially it's readable text and those with enough background (not me) might be able to extract useful info. Among others, it lists all addons loaded.

Part of it are just numbers, probably binaries like a memory dump.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

45 minutes ago, pmb said:

Partially it's readable text and those with enough background (not me) might be able to extract useful info. Among others, it lists all addons loaded.

Part of it are just numbers, probably binaries like a memory dump.

Kind regards, Michael

Thanks.
I found mine here:
C:\Users\<profile>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState

Indeed not more for me I can use

53 minutes ago, flightskyc said:

Of course they do.

Definitely sounds like a you problem, unstable overclock, add on issues etc. I use and have used MSFS in dx11 with very few problems.

dx12 causes ctd’s for me. Dx11 fine.

Wel 

Fresh install in 2 different hardware.
No overclock and community folder empty.
So maybe a "you" problem maybe not

• Like 1

BTW, my AppData directory holds several (in my case 6) files of the type

"Microsoft Flight Simulator-XXX.nv-gpudmp.json"

accompanied by

"Microsoft Flight Simulator-XXX.nv-gpudmp"

The former ones provides readable info as well, seemingly w.r.t to (graphics) memory page faults. From the dates, these don't seem to be related to my recent DX12 CTDs, most of them are from the last year and I don't recall which events they were linked to.

Kind regards, Michael