Sign in to follow this  
Ray56

The woes of MSFS 2020

2 minutes ago, Ray56 said:

Thanks all for your comments and advice, some of which I will try, if i haven't already.

As far as Oz Whitley is concerned, are you a moderator? i think it is worth a post in this forum, it discusses problems i know that many people have. I am not alone with these issues by far.

Tech support just goes around in circles but I expect it to work on the next automatic download, but for how long? who knows

Do you have any facts to back up your statement that "many people have issues like yours, " because I haven't heard of it. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

It just isn't for you and your computer then Ray.  While MSFS isn't without its problems, the vast, vast majority of people do not have the problem you describe. Therefore the problem seems to point to something specific with your setup.

Also coming on THIS forum and talking like you do about MSFS and Xplane in the context you do is bound to provoke a reaction, so all I will say is good luck and enjoy your Xplane.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 hour ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

XP sounds like the best option for the OP.

sp

I agre... its like real life. Some are more suitable to leave in X places and some in Y places and both really enjoy it.  I would not change MSFS for anythging else that I knnow but thats a personal choice.

I can see why some simpler system ( i.e. not running in the cloud) would feel more comfortable for the OP. Even FS9 ... why not? Maybe X-plane is still too much for others... and thats OK.

AHS712D

• Like 1

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

6 minutes ago, Ray56 said:

Yes, just as an example, Google MSFS not loading, its a good place to start.

Whats the relevance of Google MSFS in this thread? .... Not supported, not needed - wanted for some.
Lets cool down folks

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

@Ray56 I really do believe your internet connection is the source of your problems (especially freezing in the middle of updates). If there is a chance you reconsider MSFS (after trying the quick suggestions above) a clean install is the best answer. Blue skies to you regardless of sim platform!

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Beautiful Sunset Flight Over Burlington, Ontario + Cool Instrumental + GoPro Aerial Cameras | 4K

MSFS 2020 has run perfectly on my set up. The only issues i have are on updates when they occur, and those issues are eventually resolved by automatic updates from MS, so the problem can't be between keyboard and chair ( a helpful comment from a contributor 🙄) or my set up. My internet connection is strong and consistent. 

I am not trying to provoke a reaction, I am stating as is. I want MSFS to work so I can use that and X-Plane.

When re-reading your original post … do you have the disc version or you get the “insert disc error” ?

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Beautiful Sunset Flight Over Burlington, Ontario + Cool Instrumental + GoPro Aerial Cameras | 4K

It is the disc version, not Steam. I mis-quoted the prompt, it actually says "insert game disc".

I have run this sim since 2011, virtually trouble free apart from updates.

Is this then the FSX disk version?
Or do you mean that you have run MSFS 2020 since 2020?

I suggest you try a VPN.   Choose a server not in your country to start with.

Edited by Matt Webb
  • Upvote 1

Matt Webb

Ray, when World and Sim updates arrive,  don’t just click install. Make sure these are being installed into the right location that your sim is installed to. There is a bar at the bottom of the screen showing you where the update will be installed. Installing an update to the wrong directory is likely to trash things.

Other than that, it is possibly an internet stability issue, either on your end or your ISP, leading to corrupt downloads.

If internet speed and data is not an issue, I suggest removing the sim entirely and reinstalling from scratch to a new custom directory.

• Like 1

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

56 minutes ago, Ray56 said:

My internet connection is strong and consistent.

If your internet connection is strong and consistent, then why did you choose to purchase the disc version of MSFS? That seems odd to me.

Also, please recognize that even if your internet connection is indeed strong and consistent, ISPs often selectively throttle high bandwidth data streams, such as those utilized by MSFS. This explains why your internet connection may test perfectly well (because the test is not throttled) but you nonetheless suffer problems specific to MSFS (whose data stream probably is being throttled). As @Matt Webb said, a VPN can overcome this problem. Here's a link to a recent thread about this very topic:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.