Sign in to follow this  
Ray56

The woes of MSFS 2020

Mine is a story of frustration and disappointment. I am (or I should say, trying to) run MSFS 2020 on PC Windows 10. My pc spec is well above minimum requirements etc.

Having installed MSFS 2020 to my D drive I have had many hours of flying fun, but now, as far as i am concerned, it's just not worth the bother.

Some time ago I downloaded and installed the update before the New Zealand one, and the sim wouldn't work anymore, i can't remember the exact problem I was having, but it was a loading problem. 

To be fair though, within about a week an automatic download (the ones you don't have to download yourself) came along and sorted the problem. MSFS 2020 worked again and I was flying once more 😊

About 6 weeks or so ago the New Zealand update came, and after downloading it i just couldn't get past the Activities screen on load up. After trying many things, from blogs and posts etc., I gave up, hoping that another automatic download would come and sort it out, just like it did the last time. And yes it did, 2 days ago, hey presto it did the trick, I was flying again 😊

But the Antarctica update came too, and when i tried to download that, my woes started yet again. I managed to download about half of the 11. something GB of file/s but it wouldn't download the last 5. something GB of file/s.

I think we have all seen that, it gets so far then drops back etc etc. over and over again. 😠 (I am so glad I am not charged by the Gigabyte from my internet provider.)

So today, I have tried to start MSFS 2020 to either have a fly around, or to try to download the rest of the Antarctica download, but no. It is now crashing much earlier on start up, not long after the "Insert Disk One" prompt.

( I am sure it has nothing to do with the disk by the way). I give up 😡

I am so glad I only bought the standard version of MSFS 2020, I won't waste any more money on it. I am just so glad I have X-Plane 11, and if I spend any more money, it will be on X-Plane 12, I can assure you of that.

Too bad MSFS installation and updates vexed you. XP12 might be more suited.

-B

• Like 5

Yes I think you are right, I have never had problems like this with any other program i have installed.

To me, it's just not worth the effort, the support isn't there, the problem isn't me, it's the updates.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ray56 said:

Yes I think you are right, I have never had problems like this with any other program i have installed.

To me, it's just not worth the effort, the support isn't there, the problem isn't me, it's the updates.

Hi Ray, ‘Fraid I can’t help you too much as I’ve never had a problem with this sort of thing.

If you’re on the verge of giving up on it, may I suggest deleting the whole thing and trying a reinstall?

After all, you’ve got nothing to loose…

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

While I have sympathy for your plight, my experience is that the simulator was installed without a problem,
has been updated by each Simulator Update without a problem and all of the 13 World Updates have
installed without a problem.
The "Please insert the Microsoft Flight Simulator Game Disc", or as you apparently see, "Insert Disk One",
is abundantly covered in this zendesk topic.
In short, it is usually the result of the installed game not being able to make contact with its server.
The inability to successfully install any world updates would perhaps point to a problem with your internet
connection as well. It is not all about the broadband speed.

• Like 6

I have never had a problem like that either. I think your installation is probably corrupt, so if it were happening to me , I would just reinstall it. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

36 minutes ago, Ray56 said:

Mine is a story of frustration and disappointment

If you are having trouble with MSFS 2020, try deleting UserCfg.opt and exe.xml files. For the Windows Store version, navigate to C:\Users*USERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.opt. For the Steam version, go to C:\Users*USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\UserCfg.opt. Don't worry, deleting these files will not cause any conflicts. I had the same issue and this fixed it for me. Also, if you have two protocols in your ethernet properties, with 4 tcp/ipv4 and one 6 tcp/ipv6, try disabling 6 tcp/ipv6 before attempting again. Remember to delete the files mentioned above before trying again.
Edited by LRBS
  • Upvote 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

1 hour ago, Ray56 said:

I am just so glad I have X-Plane 11, and if I spend any more money, it will be on X-Plane 12, I can assure you of that.

Don't forget to tell that to the guys on the XP forum when you are there, you will be feted as a hero .

• Like 16

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Yep.. sorry it didn't work for ya.. Enjoy the other platform.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

If you seek help then try to reinstall it usually it solves all problems. I have personally done it several times. Make sure you back up and empty your community folder. Before reinstall, follow online guideline on complete MSFS uninstall  including phatically mnually deleting some files .

When I switched from P3D to XP and from XP to MSFS I have never bother to announce it on public forums. Really who cares? You don't like something go ahead do something else! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 hour ago, Ray56 said:

I am just so glad I have X-Plane 11, and if I spend any more money, it will be on X-Plane 12, I can assure you of that.

You definitely deserve X-Plane 12.

• Like 8

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

This post is rather dramatic. It’s not a request for tech support. It’s the announcement of a fait accompli.

Not really worth a post in the MSFS forum. My advice? Blog it.

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

MSFS has sold millions of copies and has very positive reviews on steam. Based on this alone we can probably surmise them majority of people are having no problems. Personally this sim has been incredibly stable for me since release in 2020.

If you're having significant issues getting this software to run, the issue is most likely located between the keyboard and the chair.

Personally I'd try a full reinstall. Though perhaps you're best off with XPlane 11.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks all for your comments and advice, some of which I will try, if i haven't already.

As far as Oz Whitley is concerned, are you a moderator? i think it is worth a post in this forum, it discusses problems i know that many people have. I am not alone with these issues by far.

Tech support just goes around in circles but I expect it to work on the next automatic download, but for how long? who knows

• Upvote 1