Sign in to follow this  
Ray56

The woes of MSFS 2020

16 minutes ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

Have had nothing but problems with the updates. Looking at the 'official' ratings on Xbox it looks like a lot of others have and do as well....

X Box is very different from the PC version. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

As you can see from the last comment, thankyou Flyfaster_MTN002, many people are having problems.

If I was getting issues when using MSFS 2020 in general, yes I would look at my "set up" etc but these issues ONLY occur during updates and at no other time.

Reinstall - can anyone confirm this:-

To save loads and loads of time I believe that I can:-

1. save the huge onestore folder to a different place.

2. completely uninstall MSFS2020

3. Start a re-install, but after a minute or so, stop it, then put the saved onestore folder back to where it was saved from, because the official folder which it came from,will have been installed by then.

4. Install any outstanding updates when that has completed.

48 minutes ago, Ray56 said:

3. Start a re-install, but after a minute or so, stop it, then put the saved onestore folder back to where it was saved from, because the official folder which it came from,will have been installed by then.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 hours ago, Ray56 said:

The parent folder of the onestore folder is called Official. One level up is the "Packages" folder, containing Official and Community.  This "Packages" folder can be re-used when installing MSFS.  When it is time for the Content to be installed, it will ask you where you want the Content to be installed... at which time you point to the Packages folder (or whatever you called it).

Bert

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

Sounds like a recipe for disaster. 

Hi Ray. Agree with Bob here. I think a complete, clean, reinstall is the way to go.

I really wouldn’t worry about the time it takes. If you’re prepared to wait for the next sim update - which is weeks away - in the hope it might fix your sim then it would seem to me a few hours of downloading should be fairly painless.

I don’t think think there are any short cuts to this process. Best to do it by the book in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

X Box is very different from the PC version. 

Xbox app running on PC is what shows the reviews. Using the PC version.

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

2 hours ago, Ray56 said:

MS has a step by step guide to do this... google it

2 minutes ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

Xbox app running on PC is what shows the reviews. Using the PC version.

how about a link to this data?

5 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

how about a link to this data?

no idea it just shows below the game in the Xbox app

aggregate: 2.5/5 stars

I thought OP left for X-plane 5 pages ago. Why is this histrionic thread still going??

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

48 minutes ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

no idea it just shows below the game in the Xbox app

aggregate: 2.5/5 stars

Those are reviews of the game on X box. and X box has had problems since day one. 

6 hours ago, Ray56 said:

Doing this would not make much sense… you suspect something is wrong with your installation and all you would be doing here is copying the bulk of your “old” and potentially bugged/faulty installation. That is not reinstalling: you are then retaining the bulk of your potentially “faulty” files. If you are going to try a reinstall, do it properly or you will be wasting your time and as Bobsk8 says, that would be a recipe for disaster.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

6 hours ago, RaptyrOne said:

Doing this would not make much sense… you suspect something is wrong with your installation and all you would be doing here is copying the bulk of your “old” and potentially bugged/faulty installation. That is not reinstalling: you are then retaining the bulk of your potentially “faulty” files. If you are going to try a reinstall, do it properly or you will be wasting your time and as Bobsk8 says, that would be a recipe for disaster.

Historically, as long as the MSFS user has kept their sticky fingers out of the Official folder,
there is little likelihood of that being the source of this kind of problem.
A full reinstallation of what here is already just over 300 GB of installed files is something that
could take days, unless there is a blisteringly fast internet connection.

Keeping the unmolested Official folder and reinstalling the game takes probably less than an hour
and much less than that, if it has been practised before.

If it then still does not work, the option of reinstalling everything might be considered, but in this case,
given that each game update fixes the problem and each world update creates it again, the chances
of a reinstallation of the world updates not causing the same problem seem to be slim to none.

11 hours ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

MS has a step by step guide to do this... google it

Rather than having to search the web for installation instructions I would have thought there would be a pinned topic on the official forum on how to do this.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather