Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

How much RAM ?

7 hours ago, FBW737 said:

32gb of Ram was a scam and so was 24gb of Ram on the Video card. A good rule of thumb for if you are being scammed is that it is azoy monumentally likely.

How's it a scam? DCS World will use well over 32gb of ram online, and VRAM requirements are going up every year to the extent 11gb on a 2080ti is not enough for some games now. Especially when you consider more and more 8k textures are available.

Buying something you don't need due to lack of proper research, and being scammed or tricked, are not the same thing.

• Like 1

I have to laugh at all of these clickbait youtubbers.

I've played Doom Eternal and The Witcher 3 on my previous ancient rig with 8 gigs of system ram and a 4 gig videocard. No issues, except the occasional to be expected stutters, for example, when loading a new area.This was on medium to high settings.

But, no, YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE THE NEWEST word not allowed; OTHERWISE GOD WILL KILL 125 KITTENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Ricardo41
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, frank1223 said:

Had a few CTD with 16GB but never after I upgraded to 32G.

I have never had a crash which could be attributed to 16gb of RAM

11 hours ago, FBW737 said:

32gb of Ram was a scam and so was 24gb of Ram on the Video card. A good rule of thumb for if you are being scammed is that it is azoy monumentally likely.

Hmmm... I'm not so sure about this.

RAM is like sex and money. Having more than "you need" is the best way to go. 😁

Edited by MDFlier
  • Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.

12 minutes ago, MDFlier said:

RAM is like sex and money. Having more than "you need" is the best way to go. 😁

Well, years ago I was talking to a working girl, and she told me most of her customers are "three minute heroes", so, no, sex is not like money.

Quoting VRAM numbers is very impressive, but they are virtually worthless without also knowing the screen resolution at which the game/simulation is being displayed.

• Like 4

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

13 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Well, years ago I was talking to a working girl, and she told me most of her customers are "three minute heroes", so, no, sex is not like money.

They were just in a hurry to get to the computer store to buy more RAM.

• Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.

15 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I'll bookmark it 😛 I've been close to buying a 4080 this last 24 hours. I am holding off though.. Other than better VR performance and being the GPU for my next build planned in 9-12 months, I don't have a real reason for it. I guess I will be a good adult and just play with the toys I already have. 🙃

Edited by reignman40

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

4 hours ago, reignman40 said:

I'll bookmark it 😛 I've been close to buying a 4080 this last 24 hours. I am holding off though..

Good plan if you have no immediate need as there will almost certainly be more 4080 options eventually, possibly a budget non-ti (hopefully with same VRAM)  and maybe a "super" which is closer to 4090 in performance. 

Just keep an eye on prices and any signs they may skyrocket again. Seems unlikely but you never know.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

I have to laugh at all of these clickbait youtubbers.

I've played Doom Eternal and The Witcher 3 on my previous ancient rig with 8 gigs of system ram and a 4 gig videocard. No issues, except the occasional to be expected stutters, for example, when loading a new area.This was on medium to high settings.

But, no, YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE THE NEWEST word not allowed; OTHERWISE GOD WILL KILL 125 KITTENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At 4K on highest resolution with Ray Tracing etc  enabled ?

They are not saying these new games are unplayable at 1080p on medium resolution with all the fancy features turned off.   Same way you can still use a 1946 Ferguson tractor on the farm if you only grow 2 acres of tomatoes, 8GB VRAM (or even less) will in most cases suffice if you do not want to max out the eye candy.

They are saying:

• people with relatively new cards like a 3070, who are used to being able to wind everything to max at 4K  almost all the time without issues, are now going to start hitting a VRAM limit with only 8GB of VRAM.
  • that to take advantage of the performance of new middle/high end cards like the rtx4070 you really need more than 8GB and 8GB of VRAM should be only shipping on the budget/low end gaming cards

https://www.techspot.com/article/2670-vram-use-games/

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

By the time a Gaming PC really needs 32gb of DRAM and 24gb of VRAM the system you have today with 32gb of DRAM and 24gb of VRAM will be completely obsolete and so will your pepe!🤣😭

Edited by FBW737

3 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Just keep an eye on prices and any signs they may skyrocket again. Seems unlikely but you never know.

I am afraid of the opposite happening.. With rumors of the 4070 not selling and the price being cut I have a feeling the prices my come down across the board soon. Pretty sad that my 1070Ti and 2080S both had 8GB.. the same as my 3070ti. If I didn't have the 3070Ti already, I would buy the Intel Arc 770.  Time for Nvidia to drop those prices I say.

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

1 hour ago, reignman40 said:

Time for Nvidia to drop those prices I say.

Yes either that or stop the planned-obsolescence/product-segmentation that is driving them putting stupidly low amounts of VRAM in their mid/high range GPUs . 

Putting 16GB in the 4070 would likely to only have added a tiny bit to the price over 12GB and would meant the product is much more likely to last the 3 to 4 years people hope to get out of a top end GPU .

Ironically the fact that RTX3070ti owners are already thinking of upgrading a high end card that may only be 12 months old, probably has the marketing types at Nvidia congratulating themselves on how clever the decision to limit the 3070 to 8Gb was as a marketing strategy.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2