Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Upgrading to Deluxe or Premium Deluxe...

I'm getting a bit fed up uninstalling the Standard version of MFS, which I purchased at release time.

After the latest AA2 progresses I felt really tempted to try the aircraft in the Deluxe or Premium Deluxe, but there's no acceptable upgrade policy 😕

Maybe I'll start a thread at the FlightSimulator Official Support forum asking for such an offer, at a differential price.

• Like 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

I wish we could simply buy the additional planes one by one. I also have the standard version of MSFS but am tempted by the Baron and the 787...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

I'm getting a bit fed up uninstalling the Standard version of MFS, which I purchased at release time.

After the latest AA2 progresses I felt really tempted to try the aircraft in the Deluxe or Premium Deluxe, but there's no acceptable upgrade policy 😕

Maybe I'll start a thread at the FlightSimulator Official Support forum asking for such an offer, at a differential price.

If you purchased the Standard edition of MSFS, and you purchased it through the Microsoft Store, I think you can upgrade to the Premium Deluxe version inside the MSFS marketplace. Check inside the MSFS marketplace for an upgrade option: 0e6ee6925cd75a7bb7e7d676a0b3b4be552765c3

If you bought MSFS through Steam, then I am not so sure how the upgrade works.

From what I read before though, you don't exactly pay the difference in price between the Premium Deluxe version and the Standard version. I recall that you have to pay a little more than the difference in the price. Paying a little more than the difference in the price is the minor "penalty" for not buying the Premium Deluxe version outright.

(I purchased the Premium Deluxe version of MSFS on its release so I don't think I can see the upgrade options in the MSFS marketplace).

• Like 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Yes @abrams_tank, but that upgrade price is almost the same as buying the version without upgrade 😕

Very expensive for someone who purchased the Standard version 😞

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Weird that the upgrade for existing standard owners is such a bad deal.

'Punish' them by all means for not buying it upfront, but there's a huge pool of potential buyers who would be far more tempted to give it a whirl if it were less. 

With the now seemingly permanent discount on Microsoft's other marketplace products it's a better deal than it was, but it could be better. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Yes @abrams_tank, but that upgrade price is almost the same as buying the version without upgrade 😕

That is logical, isn't it? The Premium Deluxe version was IIRC twice the price of the Standard version.  I figured then that some addons might depend on it and I wanted an analog Cessna172 so it was a good deal. That's only a few bucks per addon.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

27 minutes ago, jcomm said:

That screenshot was in Canadian dollars I think and I also think the price is bugged.  Check the MSFS marketplace to see the price you have to pay in your local currency.

I don't think you quite pay the entire price of the Premium Deluxe if you have the Standard version. But I think you don't get the difference either. It's somewhere in between.

I think one of the reasons Microsoft wouldn't give the difference between the Standard version and Premium Deluxe version for owners of the Standard version, was to incentivize people to buy the Premium Deluxe version.  If buyers of the Standard version know that they can always upgrade to the Premium Deluxe version for the same difference in price later, a lot of people will just buy the Standard version, and wait until they need the Premium Deluxe version before they upgrade. But by making buyers of the Standard version pay a little more for upgrading to the Premium Deluxe version, Microsoft is probably trying to "strong arm" some buyers into buying the Premium Deluxe version. Anyways, this is my theory on why Microsoft priced it like they did.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

That is logical, isn't it? The Premium Deluxe version was IIRC twice the price of the Standard version.  I figured then that some addons might depend on it and I wanted an analog Cessna172 so it was a good deal. That's only a few bucks per addon.

In hindsight, knowing that Working Title was going to fix the 787, the Premium Deluxe version is looking like a good deal. However, nobody knew it at the time MSFS was released though (Working Title wasn't even hired by Microsoft at the time of MSFS's release - I don't even know if there was a Working Title group in the first few days of MSFS's release). And when MSFS was released, a lot of people were panning the 787, because the fidelity of it was just pretty bad. Because the 787 was so bad on release, I think a lot of people decided not to buy the Premium Deluxe version of MSFS. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Microsoft did say at the time of launch that the best value would be to buy the premium deluxe pack from the start.  It was virtually a warning to people that it would be more expensive on the upgrade path.

Many users also tried to encourage people after seeing the superb added value.  Worth it for just the classic C172 in my opinion, especially with the WB upgrade since.

The extras were working out at just a few dollars each whether you wanted them or not, but it was superb value, and I have flown all of them at some stage.

After paying $199 for P3D once and not liking it that much, I really can't complain about what I have for the money.

All that being said, I do wish Microsoft would lower the price of the upgrades myself, so that more can jump on board.  They may even benefit from extra sales through the marketplace with these new premium users, as I have been tempted to snap up just about everything they have done with the discounted price that the upgrade offers.  I still can't believe I got the ATR for about £12.  Maybe they will have a sale where more people can jump on board.  Wasn't it discounted around Christmas once?

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

44 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Sorry, but on 27 April you replied this to me:

Sooo, did you already but that 2nd license? Given that you erased the MS account with which you bought it the first time it would seem that money is not an issue 🙂

• Like 2

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

14 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Microsoft did say at the time of launch that the best value would be to buy the premium deluxe pack from the start.  It was virtually a warning to people that it would be more expensive on the upgrade path.

The MSFS launch was so long ago, that I can't remember exactly what I knew at the time of the launch. However, it's possible that I also read something about it costing more later on, if I wanted to upgrade from Standard to Premium Deluxe. That may have also influenced me to buy the Premium Deluxe version. I do remember at the launch though that I did want to fly the 787 so that incentivized me to buy the Premium Deluxe version. I also figured that if MSFS was really going to be a 10 year project, that the extra airports and extra planes that you get in the Premium Deluxe version of MSFS, would pay itself off over the 10 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SierraDelta said:

Sorry, but on 27 April you replied this to me:

Sooo, did you already but that 2nd license? Given that you erased the MS account with which you bought it the first time it would seem that money is not an issue 🙂

Nope 🙂

Good catch !!! You're a Radar !!!

At the veray last minute I reverted the account delete, right on time - usual procedure ....

I haven't installed it again though... I think I will wait for the Fenix v2 Releease.

Main Simulation Rig:

Do the upgrades ever go on sale? Maybe that's the ticket.

• Like 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Folks who immediately went for the Premium Deluxe Version upon launch of MSFS 2020 were mocked and derided and made fun of. 

Guess who's having all the fun now?😉

As I've said before, MSFS is the only sim that actually puts money in your pocket. 

Edited by Ricardo41
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, jcomm said:

Very expensive for someone who purchased the Standard version

I just bought the Premium Deluxe upgrade for CAN$ 109.99.  Not what I would call "very expensive" for 10 additional aircraft, but YMMV.. 😉

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert