Sign in to follow this  
Guest grapesh

Bombs on aircraft

I have downloaded bombs to replace the flour bombs, is there a way I can get them onto a specific aircraft, like a B-17?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Microsoft Flight Simulator is a civilian aircraft simulator not a military shoot 'em up. I respectfully suggest that if you want to drop bombs this is not the product for you.Have a search on Google for military flight simulators. They'll be far more to your liking. :-)

Or stick around here until someone gives an answer to your question, one way or another.What Ray says is true, if you fancy bombs AND explosions, MSFS isn

Personally, I am holding out for the Chicken Cannon. Can't wait to strap that bad boy onto my Piper Cub, and then maybe the Loopy Larry truck will learn to Respect My Authoritay in that mission.Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, Avsim

>Microsoft Flight Simulator is a civilian aircraft simulator>not a military shoot 'em up. I respectfully suggest that if>you want to drop bombs this is not the product for you.>>Have a search on Google for military flight simulators.>They'll be far more to your liking. :-)I respectfully suggest that not everyone wants the same things out of MSFS. Relax. There's enough virtual world for everybody.

>I have downloaded bombs to replace the flour bombs, is there>a way I can get them onto a specific aircraft, like a B-17?You can if you create a mission. Any aircraft can have dropable objects in a mission. It may be best to post in a FSX Mission forum. Seems like the B word is taboo around here :)Gunner

>Microsoft Flight Simulator is a civilian aircraft simulator>not a military shoot 'em up. Not for long, I do believe FSX dogfights are just around the corner, along with some ground attack missions too.

<>Please point us to the source of this information. Or is it just a wild guess?I would consider it serious dumbing-down if FS went in this direction.

<>I am relaxed. I just don't want to see a civilian flight simulator turn into another "let's kill as many as we can" game. There's plenty of those around already. Microsoft's premier 'game' product does not need to cater to the shoot 'em up fraternity.

>Seems like the B word is taboo around hereI don't understand why. Bombs never hurt anybody.

Hey, If we go along the lines of what people are thinking here, then why are there so many military aircraft for a civilian flight simulator? We each customise our flight simulator to our particular needs, this person obviously wants to drop a bomb (and I guess other people too), whilst I do not have an answer for this person, I don't see why most are jumping on their back!Kind Regards,

>Microsoft Flight Simulator is a civilian aircraft simulator>not a military shoot 'em up. I respectfully suggest that if>you want to drop bombs this is not the product for you.>>Have a search on Google for military flight simulators.>They'll be far more to your liking. :-)With you RoyThere is enough killing and bombing already both in the real and computer world.I like to go peacefully about my VA business coupled with trying to better my flying and navigational skills as well.cheers Andy

Agreed! There is an established level of interest in adding on to the existing sim certain capabilities to enhance it's flexibility. This isn't "dumbing down" at all since no other features become lost and I'll wager there's a fair number of military pilots out there who'd challenge the statement above to that effect. Perhaps it's not highbrow enough to fit one person's apparently restricted perception of what everyone else should be or do but it's quite silly to start mandating what interests should or should not be pursued, as long as they're legal and ethical. Or do we need permission to discuss (or even perform) formation flying or aerobatics too?? Sheesh.all4golf: This can be done, what you're looking for is most commonly accomplished by adding a certain effect to the aircraft.cfg file. There are some downloads out there you can find that will provide the effect files and some basic instructions on how to add the effect to the aircraft. It's not quite as "real as it gets" but generally pulls the effect off quite well. Usually you map the effect to a function or key that's shared with another function (like airshow smoke, or whatever).I don't have any filenames or examples handy (can dig for 'em if you'd like) but a little searching in the software libraries (or even Google the subject) you'll find what you're after. Because it's possible AND is an existing, shared interest by others in the community.

Not to sound contentious in the least but I'm honestly very curious becuase I must be missing a basic understanding here.....what, in the above question and topic, would possibly prevent you from simply continuing to do so regardless of what interests in the sim the OP decides to engage in??

>I would consider it serious dumbing-down if FS went in this>direction.I suppose I disagree! :-hah When I paid big bucks for to fly "Air Combat's - fighter pilot for a day" in Marchetti SF260's with laser gun sights; it certainly did not dumb down my pilot skills, and with out doubt enhanced them. There is a whole lot of rudder work, and strict attention to maintaining air speeds to avoid stalls. Ranks right up there with aerobatic instruction in the Pitts! :7 It's not your day to day navigation in a Cessna 172 or 767, but military aircraft and operations certainly fit within the realm of flight, and I have no problem with it. As a general rule, military sims come up short when it comes to world wide areas to sim fly.I have no problem with mixing it up.L.Adamson - North American P-51D's look great in flight simulater!

>I would consider it serious dumbing-down if FS went in this>direction.I disagree with that. You can dumb-down FS even now by setting everything to "Easy" and flying under the bridges and do other FAA-prohibited activities. The combat simulation can be a serious business of a meticulous recreation of the war birds flight dynamics and weaponry. I see nothing wrong in allowing people combine civilian and combat simulators. There is nothing wrong in "combining" things because everyone can get what they want. As for the media-friendly stance on weapons simulation ban - I'm absolutely certain that FS community should condemn this B.S., not support the "taboos". This is virtual world, not real, -- otherwise public should as well object to training 15-yr olds to fly jumbo-jets because such a picture can be scary. Cheers,=S.V.=

<>:-lol That's a first for you and me.I appreciate that flying a military jet requires a lot of skill but FS has always been a civilian flight simulator - not a military one. I'm guessing that MS dumped Combat Flight Sim because it didn't sell enough copies so it would be strange if they were to incorporate a military element into FS.But I'm guessing that those who hanker after these jets don't want them for their aerobatic capabilities but simply for the number of bombs they can carry and how realistic the explosions are :(Anyway, all this is speculation until an announcement from Aces and I'm guessing that SP2 won't feature any military stuff so we're looking at FS11 at the earliest.Concorde and dogflights just don't mix ;)

<>Fair comment. I must admit to flying a 737 under the Golden Gate bridge myself and if I'm honest I don't have a problem if people want to do that. But dropping bombs on well known buildings and watching them fall is a step too far.<>If the result allow people to drop bombs on built-up areas I don't think that's somewhere where Aces would want to go. I could be wrong but I doubt there is a passion for that in the team irrespoective of what users want.<>I don't consider it BS. I believe Microsoft has taken a responsible stance on realism in FS. They have deliberately toned down the aircraft crash effects fo just those reasons.FS has always been a civilian flight sim and I hope it remains so. I might be in a minority of one but that doesn't bother me.

Stoopy,I don't have a problem with military aircraft being added to FS. What I don't want to see happen is FS turn into a combat simulator with explosions, crashes and general destructions of ground-based objects.I hope that clears up any confusion.

<<.what, in the above question and topic, would possibly prevent you from simply continuing to do so regardless of what interests in the sim the OP decides to engage in??>>I agree it might not affect how I use FS but I don't believe Microsoft should go down that route and wanted to say so publicly.

><<.what, in the above question and topic, would possibly>prevent you from simply continuing to do so regardless of what>interests in the sim the OP decides to engage in??>>>>I agree it might not affect how I use FS but I don't believe>Microsoft should go down that route and wanted to say so>publicly.More accurately, and getting to the HEART of it, I think your concern is that you don't want ACES spending valuable development time on bombs, but rather you'd like to see them spend valuable dev time on things like wx and atc.Is this a fair characterization of the way you feel?If so, then that's a valid concern.You see, I am not philosophically opposed to combat features in FS. Some people are. But in my mind I don't want to take away any development time from the civilian aspects of the sim.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Hi Rhett,<>No, it's not because of the potential loss of development time but a real opposition to Microsoft going down that route.For over 15 years FS has consistently been amongst Microsoft's top sellers with needing to pander to the shoot 'em up fraternity. They developed Combat FS for those that wanted to go down that route. I really don't see why they need to change a winning formula.Many current and retired pilots use FS because of its realism. If you visit the Project Magenta site www.projectmagenta.com you'll see that FS is used by professional training establishments. I honestly believe the reputation of FS would be damaged if it were to become a combat simulator.There are enough violent video and computer games. I don't want FS to go down that route. I's be very surprised if Aces decided it should.Cheers.