Sign in to follow this  
UAL4life

No more live weather thunderstorms?

3 minutes ago, gore54 said:

How are they gonna simulate tornados in 2024 version if they cant get proper clouds and thunderstorms depicted correctly in the sim?

Just asking

Don

Just a guess here at this point as we do not know any details but I am willing to guess that the tornado thing is a canned effect or "preset" if you will. 

I did not see anything in the trailer that shows any improvement to the weather but again way too short to really tell for sure - and one thing to add is the visibility in that "tornado scene" was insanely unrealistic IMO. Normally there is debris, low visibility and rain/wind making things a lot less "clean" than what that screenshot shows.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KERNEL32 said:

Just a guess here at this point as we do not know any details but I am willing to guess that the tornado thing is a canned effect or "preset" if you will. 

Looks like you missed the Flightsim Expo presentation, they already said it's not.

• Like 2

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

I've very interested and immensely intrigued how they're going to bring Tornadoes into Live Weather, considering they are still incredibly hard to predict at the best of times. Whether they go for a random algorithm, or have "zones" of areas where they'll appear, who knows.

One thing I don't want to see is a category F5 tornado in the UK (!), even though we have more tornados per land mass than the USA ours are barely F1s at the best of times. Our supercells rarely get to the size of Tornado Alley ones either, it will be interesting to see but if it's comically unreal it will be a disappointment.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Excuse my scales getting mixed up with hurricanes 🤦‍♂️

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

19 minutes ago, Alvega said:

Looks like you missed the Flightsim Expo presentation, they already said it's not.

I watched that but can you point me to where they said that the tornado for example is *not* a canned or scripted preset? Like I said, it's still too early to tell for sure; missions or events like the tornado or a rescue that are all "live" and unscripted would be really neat!

https://youtu.be/C0KkqNSw54U?t=16030

19 minutes ago, KERNEL32 said:

I watched that but can you point me to where they said that the tornado for example is *not* a canned or scripted preset? Like I said, it's still too early to tell for sure; missions or events like the tornado or a rescue that are all "live" and unscripted would be really neat!

https://youtu.be/C0KkqNSw54U?t=16030

Sorry, it was not in the Flightsim Expo video, it's in this one:

https://www.youtube.com/live/ZszOBVoREVg?feature=share&t=8562

• Like 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

@KERNEL32 The time stamped video from the linked post shows where he says it’s not canned.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

39 minutes ago, MarcG said:

I've very interested and immensely intrigued how they're going to bring Tornadoes into Live Weather, considering they are still incredibly hard to predict at the best of times. Whether they go for a random algorithm, or have "zones" of areas where they'll appear, who knows.

I don't know how they are going to do it, but it's possible they will use the Meteoblue warnings, which also show active tornados if I'm not mistaken:

https://www.meteoblue.com/weather/maps#map=warningsAndRisk~officialWarnings~auto~sfc~none&coords=2.98/46/-78.14

• Like 1

Alvega

Had luck... Was seeing it in Missouri a few hours ago and connected to the East server. Glad it's back.

Happy Landings

8 minutes ago, jwhak said:

Had luck... Was seeing it in Missouri a few hours ago and connected to the East server. Glad it's back.

Happy Landings

The server doesn't matter. The servers you see you are connected to are the multiplayer servers, the weather servers are different. It can say you are offline (if you have multiplayer disabled) and you still get live weather.

Alvega

Rgr on the last. Thanks for the intel.

Happy Landings

On 5/24/2023 at 3:43 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

Is there any way to search for them in MSFS

Not that I know of, at least not in the same way you could with Active Sky (boy do I miss that software). Not sure if the world map filters would be accurate. I've had some success using the Meteo Blue site as a reference. Makes sense I guess if they're pulling data from there for Live sim weather.

ASUS MAXIMUS IX CODE Z270, i7-7700K OC@4.8, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, VKBSim Gladiator joystick, CH Pro pedals, Razer Orbweaver Chroma Gaming Keypad, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB (main drive/sim drive), WD Black 1TB HDD