Sign in to follow this  
St Mawgan

Flying Iron BF109G

11 minutes ago, Tim-HH said:

Really a great airplane!

fi109-6hxdg8.jpg

fi109-5dhc3o.jpg

fi109-4mci4x.jpg

Wonderful shots!  Really like how the liveries are done on this release.

• Like 1

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

I saw them deployed during taxi, and while the aircraft was parked - that's not supposed to be the case.

This clip is fascinating - a take-off and landing of a newly restored ME109.  And yes, throughout, you can see the slat behaviour.

Basically, it is open pretty much from standstill until it's in the air with the gear is up and the aircraft gaining speed.  And it opens again on landing and taxi and stays open after shutdown. 

Edited by AJZip
  • Like 3

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, AJZip said:

This clip is fascinating - a take-off and landing of a newly restored ME109.  And yes, throughout, you can see the slat behaviour.

Basically, it is open pretty much from standstill until it's in the air with the gear is up and the aircraft gaining speed.  And it opens again on landing and taxi and stays open after shutdown. 

Yep, well known youtube that one 🙂

And you're right - my bad, because the modelled 109 is not the K series and I overlooked that 😕

Thx for the vid!  Spent ages watching that and many others while using the DCS 109K and the the various IL2 variants ...

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Preferred Simulator: X-Plane (and seriously considering AEROFLY FS 4 too)

Preferred Airbus simulation platform: P3dv5 + FSLabs Airbus family

I also use MSFS 2020... Cute, and superb overall functionality, although "flying" feels rather "plastic" ...

Early/mid war 109 slats were spring operated and closed once there was enough air pressure on them but otherwise stayed open.

Anecdotally, one common dog fight technique used historically was to fly what was basically an "egg shaped" turn pulling back hard forcing the slats open to turn tighter and potentially getting a snap shot and then easing off to close the slats and allow airspeed to recover once it dropped too much - rinse and repeat. The thing to be careful of was accidental asymmetric slat deployment.

The other common comment was when the slats unexpectedly slammed open or shut during extreme manoeuvres, the resultant bang was very loud and would cause the entire airframe to shudder.

A good article (on the earlier Emil) that covers these issues among other things.

https://vintageaviationecho.com/bf109e/

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Stoopy said:

The ground handling can't be much worse than in IL-2 with the exaggerated ground looping characteristics.  Can it?

Il2 really isn't bad at all.

Trying to tame the DCS & A2A Sims beasts is another discussion entirely 😉

Again from continued observation of various videos, and as an FI Spitfire user, I think they overdo torque-on-roll, and aren't able to properly model torque-on-yaw + slipstream effect, due to MFS's own FM limitations.

The latest updates to the Spitfire made it ridiculously prone to go inverted if you do not use full right control column on takeoff 😕

From the takeoff videos of the 109 I see the same pretty much being the case with it too...

OTOH I still miss proper ball displacement due to power changes and sideslip in all of the videos. Even while taxiing...

MFS prop physics are still basic... Let's hope they bring them up with FS 2024, because I really don't believe much will happen to FS 2020 in this area now...

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

I also use MSFS 2020... Cute, and superb overall functionality, although "flying" feels rather "plastic" ...

32 minutes ago, jcomm said:

The latest updates to the Spitfire made it ridiculously prone to go inverted if you do not use full right control column on takeoff 😕

hmm...no. You need right aileron as you should but not full.  Your sensitivity curves ?

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

12 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

hmm...no. You need right aileron as you should but not full.  Your sensitivity curves ?

Well, must be the techniques used by other youtubers, because this one shows a much more plausible use of the stick during takeoff... and it feels pretty realistic to me, based on the rather subjective experience on the type 🙂 in DCS World and IL2 😉

MSFS FlyingIron Simulations Bf 109G-6: Flight Around Duxford - YouTube

Main Simulation Rig:

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

Well, must be the techniques used by other youtubers, because this one shows a much more plausible use of the stick during takeoff... and it feels pretty realistic to me, based on the rather subjective experience on the type 🙂 in DCS World and IL2 😉

MSFS FlyingIron Simulations Bf 109G-6: Flight Around Duxford - YouTube

I wouldn't know i dont have the B109G , I was strictly commenting on the Spit'. for which I need only a moderate aileron work, assuming the wind is coming more or less straight at the nose. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

My two favourite war planes are the Spitfire ofc and the 109 there is just something about them both. This looks great.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip