Sign in to follow this  
jjeffreys

Meteoblue and FS2024???

If MS/Asobo ditch Meteoblue for 2024, the primary reason will likely be to save money. Any additional API creates more work for Asobo after all...

Bring Active Sky, please!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulators: MSFS 2020... (😍 IT !!!), AND AeroflyFS4 - Great  FLIGHT SIMULATION !!!

13 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

The sim uses Meteoblue's snow coverage, just the lowest resolution so it spills into areas it shouldn't.

And three years later, they still haven't fixed that bug, which really shows they just don't care about this problem at all.

We're in June. Is Switzerland Meiringen area still fully coverd in deep snow in the sim ? I bet it is...

• Like 1

I too would like to see what HiFi and Active Sky could do in MSFS. The default live weather in MSFS is serviceable, but it just has too many little deficiencies that have already been brought up hundreds of times in other threads by other users, so I won't repeat them here. It works for me, but I would welcome a more robust weather system. 

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

The present weather engine works  for me  except for the excessive snow cover which ruins some areas in Alaska (Juneau) and elsewhere in altitude. Actually, it is the best weather I have seen in a sim that I fly all over the world. I would say keep it for FS24 ! 

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

56 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

The present weather engine works  for me  except for the excessive snow cover which ruins some areas in Alaska (Juneau) and elsewhere in altitude. Actually, it is the best weather I have seen in a sim that I fly all over the world. I would say keep it for FS24 ! 

Even presets need improvement, imagine the ability to have different presets throughout your journey, instead of the "same weather everywhere" which we've got today.

I'm hoping this will be a feature of MS24 alongside vast live weather improvements and bug fixes.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

On 6/20/2023 at 8:03 AM, jcomm said:

Bring Active Sky, please!

Please stop this AS fetish. Have you seen how the AS "satellite map" looks like? Does it even remotely resemble real satellite weather image? Its blobs of circular cloud patterns concentrated over varous METAR stations with interpolating patterns to smooth out diiferences in between. Totally unrealistic! Weather is so much more than what you see through your window. The dynamic component of AS intepretaion of the weather is completely bogus. We shoudl never go back to it.

Edited by versus
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, MarcG said:

Even presets need improvement, imagine the ability to have different presets throughout your journey, instead of the "same weather everywhere" which we've got today.

I'm hoping this will be a feature of MS24 alongside vast live weather improvements and bug fixes.

The only use I have for presets is training for crosswinds, I don't care for them. If I had a wish, it would be, beside the historical weather, a proper and complete weather briefing as a module addendum to world map. 

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I'd like to see random weather/presets for flights (think one of the weather tools does this already? Could be wrong) when the Live Weather isn't working or boring full sun for the entire leg of the journey!

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

2 hours ago, versus said:

Please stop this AS fetish. Have you seen how the AS "satellite map" looks like? Does it even remotely resemble real satellite weather image? Its blobs of circular cloud patterns concentrated over varous METAR stations with interpolating patterns to smooth out diiferences in between. Totally unrealistic! Weather is so much more than what you see through your window. The dynamic component of AS intepretaion of the weather is completely bogus. We shoudl never go back to it.

Thank you for letting me know... well, weather is not my beach - I've been striving to understand it and how models and tools work in the last 27 years at the Portuguese MetOffice ... Still not there you see?, and being a pilot IRL for the last 42 years doesn't help either... You surely know better... and... MFS's weather is sooooooo perfect indeed...

Regarding the quality of weather radar images in AS, while not PERFECT, even in it's Prepar3d port they're very acceptable:

Landing in GUSTY THUNDERSTORM at Guernsey | P3D Orbx ASP3D FSLabs A320 - YouTube

Weather Radar Aviation - [How Can You Use The Weather Radar During The Cruise]. - YouTube

Should HiFi have access to an SDK in MFS and I'm sure they could offer a nice alternative to default weather.

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulators: MSFS 2020... (😍 IT !!!), AND AeroflyFS4 - Great  FLIGHT SIMULATION !!!

52 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Thank you for letting me know... well, weather is not my beach - I've been striving to understand it and how models and tools work in the last 27 years at the Portuguese MetOffice ... Still not there you see?, and being a pilot IRL for the last 42 years doesn't help either... You surely know better... and... MFS's weather is sooooooo perfect indeed...

Regarding the quality of weather radar images in AS, while not PERFECT, even in it's Prepar3d port they're very acceptable:

Landing in GUSTY THUNDERSTORM at Guernsey | P3D Orbx ASP3D FSLabs A320 - YouTube

Weather Radar Aviation - [How Can You Use The Weather Radar During The Cruise]. - YouTube

Should HiFi have access to an SDK in MFS and I'm sure they could offer a nice alternative to default weather.

You cannot depict global dynamic weather faithfully using METAR (non scientific description of weather by human).  AS uses METAR primarily. Its' not question of FS SDK, its a question of source data. Their method is wrong not the implementation.

If you have access to AS please post "satellite chart" with real satellite map next to it.

EDIT: managed to find my post to their forum from tthe time I tried to use their software. See for yourself how their data compares to the real world. No need for meteo credentials, just plain vision

https://forums.hifisimtech.com/threads/why-is-your-weather-so-much-off.12759/

Edited by versus

2 hours ago, MarcG said:

I'd like to see random weather/presets for flights (think one of the weather tools does this already? Could be wrong) when the Live Weather isn't working or boring full sun for the entire leg of the journey!

Haven’t seen this in MSFS, but Dovetail’s FSW had a dynamic weather preset which was quite fun.

• Like 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Sadly, from the trailer, it seems to be the same cloud depiction that often results in terribly low resolution clouds at times and also the disgusting cauliflower/volcanic ash clouds at other times.

Really would have hoped for the weather and cloud depiction to have improved by now, but it’s gone backwards since release of MSFS 2020, especially with SU5, so fully expecting it to be further downgraded in MSFS 2024.

Edited by abennett
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, versus said:

You cannot depict global dynamic weather faithfully using METAR (non scientific description of weather by human).  AS uses METAR primarily. Its' not question of FS SDK, its a question of source data. Their method is wrong not the implementation.

Do you **really** believe AS's Synthetic Satellite images are based in METAR data?

The reply you received from "Maxam" is not from an HifiTech programmer, and certainly NOT from Damian Clark who could probably gladly explain how it's done in ASP3D. Maxam was at the date of the reply AFAIK simply a member of the HiFi Beta Team.

Also in his answer he's simply saying that the synthetic satellite images are consistent with local observation at stations that cover the area. OFC I don't even guess what area that is, and as you know that can make a big difference because of the reference MSA, specially if in Europe and away from mountainous areas.

One advantage from using such a weather injector is consistency. What do I mean by that? Well, Navigraph has recently made available a very interesting layer of weather information, with various sub-layer, for the Charts applications. This is great because it integrates easily with your flightplan info in P3D, XP or MFS BUT ! just as if you use the Windy or Meteoblue sites (or other like SkyVector, etc...) for that same info what you get is based on their reference foreacast and nowcast tools, which may differ between them AND may differ from the Real World Weather in you simulator.

When instead you use Active Sky, the data is still based on the same kind of sources, but it is then injected into the sim, and you'll have a much better coordination between what is displayed in the weather visualization tools and what you see & "feel" in the flightsim.

I used Active Sky as well as cloud enhancement packages by HiFi since it was release for fs9, then fsx, p3d, xp... and miss it's functionality and enhancements in MFS.

It's probably not in ASOBO / MS plans to open support for such apps, at least not for fs 2020. Maybe fs 2024 ?

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

39 minutes ago, abennett said:

Sadly, from the trailer, it seems to be the same cloud depiction that often results in terribly low resolution clouds at times and also the disgusting cauliflower/volcanic ash clouds at other times.

Really would have hoped for the weather and cloud depiction to have improved by now, but it’s gone backwards since release of MSFS 2020, especially with SU5, so fully expecting it to be further downgraded in MSFS 2024.

There's still plenty of time for them to improve the graphical quality of the clouds, but like you my hopes are not high going on past issues/mistakes/lack of attention to detail in this area etc etc. Best not to get too get excited, then you won't get burnt if there isn't much improvement.

• Like 1