Sign in to follow this  
peroni

Austin Meyer interview

I am a bit puzzled with how the interviewer led this chat.

He ran a long topic collecting user questions for weeks on the other forum and in the end very very few of them were asked to Austin.
Instead the subject was mostly a comparison with the Microsoft offering.
A big missed opportunity.

My wish would be to have a tech writer interviewing Ben or Sid.
We know everything about Austin and his way of thinking by now.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, peroni said:

and in the end very very few of them were asked to Austin.

Very likely they filtered out the ones he didn't want to answer, this wasn't a BBC vs ANC Sec general type interview.

21 minutes ago, peroni said:

My wish would be to have a tech writer interviewing Ben or Sid.

FSExpo is in a few days despite Microsoft being to poor to sponsor it. I'm sure there is plenty of technical stuff coming very soon

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

12 minutes ago, mSparks said:

FSExpo is in a few days despite Microsoft being to poor to sponsor it

you are never content are you? You gave them flack last year for not even participating. And when they finally do, you call them out for not "sponsoring".  When will MS/MSFS stop living rent-free in your mind? Obviously you have some sort of need of snide remarks towards that company and franchise.

Funny thing you will probably do everything to deny it. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 7

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , Turbocharged, EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40NG+tdi / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

5 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

you are never content are you? You gave them flack last year for not even participating. And when they finally do, you call them out for not "sponsoring".  When will MS/MSFS stop living rent-free in your mind? Obviously you have some sort of need of snide remarks towards that company and franchise.

Sparky747 will soon be competing with default 747 in other sim with AAU2 😁

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

I sponsor and partner with quite a few conferences, e.g. most recent one was

https://www.hit-konferencija.hr/

Economist magazine just asked me to sponsor theirs in October, but we didn't because we were "to poor".

Its not about living "rent free", they do not have the budget, as highlighted by them pulling out of E3, not being able to sponsor FSExpo and hastily throwing together 2024.

Its not "snide", its just the truth. Admittedly something many people are struggling with these days.

Its good to see Laminar and Austin are not having those problems (or rather, that hastily throwing together XP12 solved them).

Edited by mSparks
  • Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

The thread is derailing as expected...

I made my derailing contribution 🙂 too, but honestly I think that Austin should better focus in XP's core features instead of showing concerns with secondary features like the blend between roads, taxiways and runways with the terrain... Maybe having the possibility to locally modifying mesh in order to better adapt it to an airport and not getting weird slope effects could be a much more interesting and worth investing in feature...

Then the systems and the flight dynamics. Yes they are nice already, but it puzzles me how after all this time and dealing with real PT-6 turbines Austin wasn't still able to properly model it in the sim. even "tiny" details as there still being a variation in Furl Flow with RPM adjustments, but certainly not only... Or fine tuning their default GPS units that, yes as a comparison, are a lot more powerful and detailed even in MFS....

Weather is another area where XP needs attention. I still can't accept that clouds become totally invisible at night 😕

I still can't accept that there is no proper representation of stratified clouds, cirrus, Altostratus, ... Thermal got a slight update with XP12, but they're totally detached from even RW weather when this is downloaded. No proper correlation to time of day / Sun position above the horizon, no blue thermals, etc...

ATC was one of the features that called my attention in XP12 when I first watched a video about what it would bring, but honestly I ended up not using it at all because it's pretty much useless with it's present bugs and limitations...

AI Traffic is still tied to that idea of Austin that all AI-controlled aircraft have to use the same core FM that other aircraft use. Yes it's great to watch them landing and fighting adverse weather, but the heavy burden is there and makes it prohibitive to populate the skies with a considerable / realistic amount of such aircraft and their associated ATC agents... 

• Like 5

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulators: MSFS 2020... (😍 IT !!!), AND AeroflyFS4 - Great  FLIGHT SIMULATION !!!

11 minutes ago, jcomm said:

should better focus in XP's core features instead of showing concerns with secondary features like the blend between roads, taxiways and runways with the terrain.

I agree with Austin, aside from the glitching (which might be my GPU drivers) and the puffy black smoke from the engines (which they fixed), my only notable complaint - and that of many who  have commented on

Is that the road <-> scenery blending something of a hot mess.

very, very happy they are deep enough through the todo list to get onto that "soon".

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1

AutoATC Developer

Uh wait did he just say that the guys at Asobo are copying Xplane's flight model ? Very bold claims right there. Cringe interview and uncalled bashing of MSFS.

Edited by Baber20
  • Like 7

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

12 hours ago, mSparks said:

He repeated:

https://austinmeyer.com/ok-this-is-just-plain-funny/

I think that is the first time he as actually spoken rather than just blogged about it.

18 minutes ago, Baber20 said:

Very bold claims right there

See above link 

why wouldnt they? Xplane is just as good as flying the real thing, and a hulluva lot cheaper.

Only valid complaint is the typical MS corporate piracy, in that they should have paid for the commercial use versions.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

2 hours ago, SAS443 said:

When will MS/MSFS stop living rent-free in your mind?

Never. He will misrepresent, mislead and straight up lie in his constant need put down Microsoft and MSFS. It would be funny if it wasn't bordering on worryingly neurotic.

But hey, competition must be doing something right when they get so much attention and sparks the ire of certain individuals 🙂

Edited by Sethos
  • Like 4

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

11 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Never. He will misrepresent, mislead and straight up lie in his constant need put down Microsoft and MSFS. It would be funny if it wasn't bordering on worryingly neurotic.

But hey, competition must be doing something right when they get so much attention and sparks the ire of certain individuals 🙂

lol, panicking much?

You can pretend we were not flooded with xplane die, and ms unlimited budget will take over flight sim.

end result was flight sim 2023 consists of

ug1E6vi.png

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer