Sign in to follow this  
speedyTC

Did I miss the memo?

Wx is showing on the ND in the "updated" B78X. Whut th...?!

I was doing a KSFO-KIAD hop. Stepped away from the flight deck for a while to attend to matters pertaining to the house (and to keep in the wife's good graces) and when I got back I was passing north of Denver. To my amazement weather was depicted on the ND in the correct location and was visually confirmed by looking out the window, the drone view and checking real Wx.

Have I been doing a Rip Van Winkle all these months??

Edited by speedyTC

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

WTs 78X (and therefore the mods based on it, too) has Asobo‘s default weather radar.

• Like 2

Thanks. They may have improved it, perhaps? It seemed pretty accurate.

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

It’s not accurate, but if you believed it to be so, mission accomplished I guess. 

The entire sim is "inaccurate". It's all make believe. If you believe it, then it is so. 

Edited by Ricardo41

To my understanding it is accurate as long as you fly on a flightlevel where it is actually indeed raining. But as it is a non-dynamic snapshot from above, it will be totally inaccurate e.g. when flying above the rain, because the radar will still show rain in front of you (as it is just a snapshot from above.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Weather radar is not available to avionics that were coded using WASM.  it’s always been available to avionics coded using xml/js/whatever it is that the default gauges are coded in.

Edit: was added.  I wuz wrong, see below

Edited by ShawnG

2 hours ago, ShawnG said:

Weather radar is not available to avionics that were coded using WASM.  it’s always been available to avionics coded using xml/js/whatever it is that the default gauges are coded in.

Its been available to WASM for a while now.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Upvote 1

This was Matt's recent post on the weather radar topic: 

• Like 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

20 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

It’s been available to WASM for a while now.

Yep, just looked into it.  Must’ve happened during one of my blackouts.  

Edited by ShawnG

Two screenies:

https://ibb.co/rF6wwRN
https://ibb.co/W0MzLdw

I had just returned from the house chores and almost missed the Wx. In the flightdeck screenie you can just make out the returns on the lower side of the ND and to the left. Second screenie shows the radar off Navigraph. Close match.

• Like 1

Tony K.

... been saying this for 6 months.  Simulated radar at some level is available for developers to utilize but most do not.  I consider this a shame.

• Like 4

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

19 minutes ago, Mike S KPDX said:

... been saying this for 6 months.  Simulated radar at some level is available for developers to utilize but most do not.  I consider this a shame.

As Matt Nichan said in @lwt1971's reference, it's 3D now, but it just doesn't support manual tilt. Maybe it's missing other stuff that PMDG and Fenix require, it would be nice if PMDG and Fenix could say exactly what is missing.

• Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

54 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

As Matt Nichan said in @lwt1971's reference, it's 3D now, but it just doesn't support manual tilt. Maybe it's missing other stuff that PMDG and Fenix require, it would be nice if PMDG and Fenix could say exactly what is missing.

better yet... just implement the best they can now, that would be fine.  I'll skip the tilt function for a few years until it become available.

• Like 2

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K