Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

Interview with Laminar Research @flightsimexpo2023

I'm excited by the planned volumetric fog and rain (Thomson said it is a requirement for the Level-D sims running X-Plane as a visual engine).

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I want to buy a xplane polo shirt!!!

Edited by blingthinger
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

5 hours ago, Murmur said:

I'm excited by the planned volumetric fog and rain (Thomson said it is a requirement for the Level-D sims running X-Plane as a visual engine).

If it is a requirement for level D, does xplane not currently run on level D simulators yet? Before volumetric fog, what were level D systems doing?

Edited by brinx
  • Like 1

Flight Sim PC - OS: Windows 11 Pro. CPU: i9-13900K.  RAM: 64GB. GPU: NVidia RTX 4090 OC
Flight Sim Xbox - Seriex X, 3TB

Nice views of things to come!

IMO the news regarding weather visuals are the most tempting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 hour ago, gauchofree said:

Volumetric fog is available in XP 12 time ago. You should activate the related dataref.

How to get volumetric lighting into Xplane 12 for free tutorial - YouTube

It's buggy and not ready for release though, at the moment.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I agree with @Murmur Volumetric lights kill my FPS big time, but there are times when it's very cool. At night it certainly is impressive. I have never tried it while in flight because it brings my system to its knees.

Like the water turbidity data ref - there are times to enable it and times not. I turn it to default when near water as it takes away from ortho water fronts when enabled.

46 minutes ago, fluffyflops said:

6 months down the road and still no large update.  

What constitutes a "large" update to you?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We already got a very large update, remember the scenery recut? 😁

still cant use it at night 6 months, scenery recut is of no use to the many that cant use it at night 

14ppkc-6.png

10 minutes ago, fluffyflops said:

still cant use it at night 6 months, scenery recut is of no use to the many that cant use it at night 

I guess you've forgotten about, and/or can't see the pinned topic right above this very post.

Gives you a very comprehensive description of the "large" update that's coming.  

Just now, GoranM said:

I guess you've forgotten about, and/or can't see the pinned topic right above this very post.

Gives you a very comprehensive description of the "large" update that's coming.  

no ive not forgotten, im just bored of waiting for a sim to work, 6 months after ive paid for it 

14ppkc-6.png

16 minutes ago, fluffyflops said:

no ive not forgotten, im just bored of waiting for a sim to work, 6 months after ive paid for it 

What, exactly, doesn't work, Peter?  

Are you getting CTD's?  Is it failing to load?  Is it freezing?

Can you please provide as many details as possible on what is not working?

I'm happy to offer you "first in line" support to help you get X-Plane "working" as it is for the majority of us.

Edited by GoranM
  • Upvote 1