Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMan

Problem re-installing airports from Flightsim.to

I recently re-purchased and installed the deluxe digital version to replace a CD version that I was having problems with. I have been running with the new version for a couple of weeks now, but am having trouble re-installing all or my airports from Flightsim.to. I have re-downloaded new versions from the Flilghtsim.to site and used the usual version of extracting to a neutral folder and then moving the  file to the Community folder. The airport appears in the Content Manager, indicated as "uninstalled". But when I select the file, the usual INSTALL button does not appear. An suggestions?

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

3 minutes ago, AviatorMan said:

then moving the  file to the Community folder.

I take it you mean moving the map (with all the files)

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

A fresh install gives you a great opportunity to re-organise the way you use all your add-ons (sceneries included). Save yourself a whole heap of grief by using [the amazing] Addons Linker from day one.

You'll soon get the hang of it - and it'll give you complete control of everything as you gradually build up all your myriad add-ons. I've been using it since day one and can't imagine running MSFS without it - especially as I'm rather cash-strapped so have to rely on hundreds of freeware scenery, aircaft and liveries.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Others have recommended Addons LInker. I looked into it and saw a number of Youtube videos, some of 20+ minutes describing the process for installing it. Seems like a very complicated procedure with perhaps limited advantages. In any case not sure it would answer the problem that I have. But thanks anyway.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

12 minutes ago, AviatorMan said:

Others have recommended Addons LInker. I looked into it and saw a number of Youtube videos, some of 20+ minutes describing the process for installing it. Seems like a very complicated procedure with perhaps limited advantages. In any case not sure it would answer the problem that I have. But thanks anyway.

It's not complicated at all, I resisted using AL for a couple of years, but once it was installed and working I wouldn't ever give it up. Just create a folder for the add-ons and point AL at your CF, you can have as many nested folders as you like on whichever drive you like, mine are on an external SSD, give it a go I promise you will not be disappointed.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Like many computer-related procedures, I think the benefit grows with time. If you ever feel you you to give it another go, you might like to browse the procedure/documentation I cobbled together a fair while back:
https://flightsim.to/file/14298/msfs-addons-linker-general-procedure

The document may be slightly outdated now, but the methodology is pretty well the same. Apart from the obvious advantage of not over-bloating your Community folder, it's a great tool for debugging clashes between addons - and for keeping the physical locations of your addon files in sensible, ordered places. I could go on, but I think you get the picture, LOL!

• Like 1

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

3 hours ago, AviatorMan said:

I recently re-purchased and installed the deluxe digital version to replace a CD version that I was having problems with. I have been running with the new version for a couple of weeks now, but am having trouble re-installing all or my airports from Flightsim.to. I have re-downloaded new versions from the Flilghtsim.to site and used the usual version of extracting to a neutral folder and then moving the  file to the Community folder. The airport appears in the Content Manager, indicated as "uninstalled". But when I select the file, the usual INSTALL button does not appear. An suggestions?

The install button in the content manager is for the Marketplace addons, not the ones you install in the community folder, those should show up as installed if they are in the community folder. So my guess is you are placing them in the wrong folder. Open your usercfg.opt file with a text editor like Notepad++ and check the last line, is that the folder where you are placing your flightsim.to addons?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

I installed addon linker when I decided to install Misty Fjords scenery, which has hundreds and hundreds of files. I flew MF a few times, and decided it wasn't my cup of tea any more. Since then, I have not used Add on linker at all. If you have a ton of scenery files, I guess it is worth it, but I don't. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

6 hours ago, AviatorMan said:

It is not a comlicated procedure and has literally unlimited advantages. Some youtube personalities embellish their own skills, which ends up making it appear complicated.  Here is a real world example. 

Say you use Microsoft Office Word as your word processer. You want to organize your work.  So under your Windows Documents you create a new folder and name it Word Files.  Then in that new Word Files folder you create a series of subfolders.  A folder each for Letters, Envelopes, Mailing Labels, and Other Documents.   Then as you use Word and create documents, you save each in those respective folders based on what they are. 

That is basically what you are first accomplishing with Addons Linker.  In fact, you can create a folder structure for your MSFS addons wherever you wish, using Windows File Explorer, and later point Addons Linker to the location for that file structure, and separately point Addons Linker to the location of your Community folder.

Unhide the Spoiler window below to see illustrations.

Spoiler

This first screenshot shows my MSFS Addons folder selected in the left pane.  In the right pane you see a list of it's subfolders.

image.thumb.png.927438df7246ef4fa6fa2b3d01937f8d.png

===================================================

Below you can see that I opened up the MSFS Addons/Scenery folder where you can see I created another set of subfolders, one folder for each USA region.

image.thumb.png.6310fa56dbf3e89080cea2ca943152e7.png

=====================================================

There I created a folder for each state.  Those state folders hold the individual addon airports, and any other related addons, such as local tree and water fixes

image.png

=========================

Below, if the left pane of Addons Linker, you can see that folder structure.  You can also see the radio spots you click to activate or deactivate the addons.  You tell Addons Linker the location of your Community folder and it moves simple shortcuts into and out of Community based on your selections..  Pretty simple.

Addons Linker has a good deal of more sophisticated features, but the key is just to get started. 

image.thumb.png.ceb509228c7b15ee9329ba0884c2c00e.png

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Frank, this post should be the gold standard of organization. Kudos!

• Like 2

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

6 hours ago, AviatorMan said:

Seems like a very complicated procedure with perhaps limited advantages. In any case not sure it would answer the problem that I have.

As stated above, it is not that complicated, and it actually does check the individual items and flags them if they cannot be read..

My guess it that you may have dropped some airports into the Community folder in an incorrect format..

7 hours ago, AviatorMan said:

I have re-downloaded new versions from the Flilghtsim.to site and used the usual version of extracting to a neutral folder and then moving the  file to the Community folder. The airport appears in the Content Manager, indicated as "uninstalled".

I assume you mean that you moved the "folder".  As the Content Manager recognizes the airport, it would appear that it is located in the right place. Does it say "Community" in the Content Manager listing?

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

4 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I assume you mean that you moved the "folder".  As the Content Manager recognizes the airport, it would appear that it is located in the right place. Does it say "Community" in the Content Manager listing?

Yes I moved the folder  - it was for EGSU Duxford -and yes it does say Community in the Content Manager listing. I have tried it a number of times. It should work. It worked before I re-installed MSFS 2020. I have installed other "non MSFS Store" addons - Pilots Plus Biggin Hill and Bristol, for example. It just seems to be addons from Flightsim.to. Too bad for me - EGSU is my "local" airport, and the default is horrible, and AFAIK no one else has an EGSU.

3 minutes ago, AviatorMan said:

Yes I moved the folder  - it was for EGSU Duxford -and yes it does say Community in the Content Manager listing. I have tried it a number of times. It should work. It worked before I re-installed MSFS 2020. I have installed other "non MSFS Store" addons - Pilots Plus Biggin Hill and Bristol, for example. It just seems to be addons from Flightsim.to. Too bad for me - EGSU is my "local" airport, and the default is horrible, and AFAIK no one else has an EGSU.

Ok, this must be something simple... Have a look at the folder, does it have a layout and manifest file in it, or is it possibly a folder within a folder?

Bert

17 minutes ago, AviatorMan said:

Too bad for me - EGSU is my "local" airport

Just tried and this is what I got:

VLEuCsX.jpg

Bert