Sign in to follow this  
RobertRent

Any FS2020 nvidia RTX 40xx benchmarks?

11 minutes ago, Baber20 said:

Getting a gpu with a 12gb vram in 2023 is like throwing your money in the garbage can. Please don't do that. You WILL hit the vram bottleneck.

I'm sorry but this comment lacks the most important context, resolution. 1080P is perfectly fine at 8GB, and unoptimised games like Hogwarts and TLoU isn't a declaration that 8GB isn't feasible. For context, MSFS uses 4GB-6GB with a 4k plane (Think A310, PMDG, JF), running FSLTL at a major airport on a 1080p machine.

We also need not be alarmed that just because MSFS is using 18GB out of the 24GB you have on a 4090, doesn't mean it's actually using that, it could simply be allocated VRAM. It's important to note this distinction.

Buy the GPU that suits your resolution best. Buying egregious amounts of VRAM than you need for the sake of future proofing also, doesn't make sense unless suddenly every game developer decides to ship uncompressed textures.

9 hours ago, RobertRent said:

The reason that I am interested in these benchmarks is that I planned to upgrade an older GPU to an RTX 4080 FE but, with the RTX 4080 FE costing $1200 and the RTX 5000 being a year from shipping, I am considering upgrading to a $600 RTX 4070 FE now and then using the saved $600 to help upgrade to an RTX 5000 in 18 months.

What card are you running now?  What resolution do you plan to run? 

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

3 hours ago, Mace said:

What card are you running now?  What resolution do you plan to run? 

GTX 1660 Super 6gb, 1440 and 4k

Edited by RobertRent

To put a bit of fuel on the "so-called-stupidity-not-wasting-money-on-VRAM", I just swapped my 3080 ti for a 4090 RTX. That is right..

Fun fact!!!. Did it for P3D V5 as well as for MSFS. Am hitting the 12-13GB easily with my setup. Hence the reason. Have to add I love fly multiply legs as a NG or Bus Driver. Those VRAM stack after 3 airports visiting. Tell you that.

Edited by Piotr007

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

Both the RTX 4070 (short card) and the 4070 Ti (full length card) have 12GB VRAM.
I have the the short card and it is fine in MSFS 2020 at 1440p resolution with DX 12.
Max VRAM usage so far is 8.5GB sans any addons.

Computer: Dell XPS 8950, i7-12700, 12GB ASUS RTX 4070 dual BIOS, 32GB DDR5 at 4400MHz, 7130MBps SSD, PCIe v4, 1000w PS.

Edited by CWM99

16 hours ago, Ixoye said:

I have a 470 ti and 12 gb is not enough vram with dx12 at high detail addon AirPorts with my 3440x1440 monitor.

I’m the exact same boat here and while I think it’s a great card which delivered amazing performance, I do agree that the VRAM limit is a problem in detailed airports with AI.  I’m actually contemplating selling the card and going with the 4080 or perhaps even the 4090 (painful price point though!). 

For now I’m just waiting to see if there is anything to the rumours that higher VRAM cards (4080Ti or Super) are inbound. 

That said, if you are happy avoiding complex 3rd party airports then I think the 4070ti is probably a good choice when considering value for money. 

Edited by alepro21

Formally screen name was Alex_YSSY until the forum software ate my account  ^_^

28 minutes ago, RobertRent said:

Thanks for all the advice but, benchmarks, anyone?

I really don't know that benchmarks of the gpu's would be that helpful, if any exist specific to MSFS. That may be why no one has posted any. Even at 4K in the sim you'll be largely cpu bound.

That's especially true at 1440p which you said you might run along with 4K.  It comes down to vram and whether or not you run VR.  If you don't run VR then your plan of 4070 and saving for a 5-series may be a good one, although the wait for 5-series will be a while.  If you run VR then, maybe a 4070 would be ok?  I don't know as I don't run VR, but I know VR people and they want as much card as possible.  You can go to the VR subforum here and I'm sure they could help you out.

As for vram, MSFS seems to adapt the scene to how much you have, I saw this firsthand with a 11GB card, a 12GB card, and 24GB card.  That said I'd want 12 as a bare minimum if I ran DX12 which you will want to do with a 4070/4080/4090 for Frame Generation.

But again, as to MSFS in most setups the cpu is what you'll want to bench, not the gpu,  I've never seen any GPU benches of MSFS but then I'm not saying they don't exist.  I'd like to think I stay abreast of these kinds of things but it's always possible someone did some benching of gpu's and posted it somewhere and I missed it.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Usually look at FPS low benchmark numbers instead of VRAM usage or AVG fps. If Vram is too full and the caching engine is having to swap memory too much between the PC and the GPU, then it will usually result in much worse FPS low performance, or at least cause some stuttering if not. Only if the degradation is significant or if there are stutters is more VRAM likely to help. It will help in some airports and bigger cities, it's not going to matter as much in an average place. 12 GB would be my minimum though, and 16-24 is much better. Used 3090 from Ebay with 24 GB might be an option if the 4080 and 4090 are too expensive.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

7 hours ago, RobertRent said:

Geez, you know how to use google, right? It provides you within seconds several MSFS benchmarks with the GPUs you are interested in, for example 

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Spiel-15259/Specials/Benchmark-2023-CPU-GPU-1411823/2/

As a matter of fact, the newer the GPU, the more often you might find only a benchmark with this GPU alone and you then have to compare yourself, e.g. the 4070 non-Ti: 

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Deep-Learning-Super-Sampling-Software-277618/Specials/RTX-4070-DLSS-30-Frame-Generation-Raytracing-High-Fps-1417254/5/

And furthermore, on YT, you will tons of videos showing the performance of each and every 40xx card in MSFS in various scenarios, e.g. the 4060: 

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

10 hours ago, RobertRent said:

It depends on which cpu you have, I have an I9 10900k and my RTX 4070Ti does not perform a single fps better than my previous 2080 Ti because my cpu is the bottleneck in my system, I'm about to update to Ryzen 7800XT3D.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

20 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

It depends on which cpu you have, I have an I9 10900k and my RTX 4070Ti does not perform a single fps better than my previous 2080 Ti because my cpu is the bottleneck in my system, I'm about to update to Ryzen 7800XT3D.

I have a similar system upgrading from a RTX 3070.  I'm getting much higher FPS (measured with external counter) since it can utilize NV Frame Generation.  That was my main intent for upgrading and I'm pleased with the results. 

21 minutes ago, Sparkvark said:

I have a similar system upgrading from a RTX 3070.  I'm getting much higher FPS (measured with external counter) since it can utilize NV Frame Generation.  That was my main intent for upgrading and I'm pleased with the results. 

Yes, frame generation are another story, but you are still limited by main tread with a week cpu, and you will notis that at high detail add-on airports.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

A 4090 doesn't break a sweat with MSFS 2020. The bottlenecks appear elsewhere before the 4090 even gets down to work.

vram is what you want for the future. If 5000 series cards have more vram than their 4000 series counterparts than you might want to wait for them.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com