Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

My latest disaster...

On 8/6/2023 at 9:38 PM, n4gix said:

Well, a rollback picked up my car and took it to the repair shop Friday morning.

It appears that every garage in Hot Springs is suffering from an over-abundance of vehicles needing to be fixed. I visited the garage this morning and the owner told me that he was waiting for his parts suppliers to call back and let him know if they can get the parts needed. He said he would bump my car to the front of the line and try to get it repaired ASAP - for certain values of "soon" I suspect...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Sign of the times when the cost of living goes up people will keep cars on the road for longer, new car sales goes down and the service department revenue goes up. Also a skill shortage in pretty much all trades at the moment. 

• Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

Matthew, that is precisely what I've noticed and posted on my Faceplant (er, I mean Facebook... 😄

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the owner/chief mechanic was a Formula One owner/driver and is presently building and driving a "Funny Car!" That gives me some confidence that he is an experience and competent mechanic.

Edited by n4gix
correct my horrible speeling...
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

22 hours ago, n4gix said:

the owner/chief mechanic was a Formula One owner/driver

Now you got my interest hahaha. Which one?

Anyway, sounds like good news, and a sign that your car will be in good hands.

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Bill,  looks like the mechanic didn't quite center your car on the lift!  😳

TGIF!

download.jpeg

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Sounds like things are moving along Bill. Maybe not as fast as you might like but considering your situation a week or so ago - it's working out.

Vic

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

5 hours ago, Luis Hernandez said:

Now you got my interest hahaha. Which one?

His name is Alan Parks. All I know about him I discovered from a giant photo of him sitting in his car. His Funny Car however was in one of the service bays. I didn't take too close a look at it though.

Fr. Bill    

On 8/12/2023 at 2:40 PM, Penzoil3 said:

But if was an airplane, you'd be all over it. Right Fr. Bill?

You bettcha, like white on rice or stink on a skunk!

Fr. Bill    

On 8/11/2023 at 10:51 AM, vgbaron said:

Sounds like things are moving along Bill. Maybe not as fast as you might like but considering your situation a week or so ago - it's working out.

Cue my "Happy Dance!"  I just spoke to the garage's owner, and he told me my car is fixed finally. Yahoo!

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

The repair replaced both rear McPherson struts since the shock absorbers are an integral part of the struts and having them replace only one would result in an uneven ride, as well as being rather unsafe. Tomorrow I am going to have both rear tires replaced so I can put the spare back in the trunk, along with the rather plain steel wheel...

Again I wish to express my deep gratitude for all of the support from my friends here and elsewhere. Without this priceless assistance I would still remain trapped in the deep, dark woods unable to get places I need to be easily!

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

14 hours ago, Delta111 said:

Now bring the paid bill to your City/Town for re-payment...

Now that I have my car back, I can go that a photo of the offending pot hole along with a copy of the receipt for the repairs and make a claim for reimbursement.

FWIW, the car runs like a new one again!  The only thing forgotten was for Alan to clear and reset the brake and ABS warning lights on the instrument cluster! 🤔

Fr. Bill    

I donated but did not win the drawing for this prize...

spacer.png

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.