Sign in to follow this  
aatd

Autoland -- Video Recommendation Request

TO MODERATOR(S) --

I APOLOGIZE in advance...   I have struggled with where best to post this request. Please reroute/delete at your discretion.

I am trying to source a good video demonstrating "Autoland" functionality and process.  Something that would be meaningful and complete (ie., throughout the process) to a non-pilot. ...for someone who is anxious about the situation wherein the pilot(s) is disabled.   I have made a similar request(s) at a number of GA pilot and aircraft sites, but thus far no joy.

I am hoping that the AVSIM community might be interested in understanding Autoland, and then might have come across a good, single video, explaining and demonstrating the capability.

Again, my apologies to the Moderator if this is out of bounds,

Many thanks,

Brian

• Like 1

Autoland is only available in more advanced airliners, Brian. Which one(s) are you interested in?

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

I haven't used it in a while but there was an autoland video on YouTube with the FBW32NX landing at Dubai. Used AP2 and landed perfectly.

Auto land depend on airframe and airport . Only some airliners capable of doing it. Search for cat 3 approaches on YouTube 

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 hour ago, aatd said:

TO MODERATOR(S) --

I APOLOGIZE in advance...   I have struggled with where best to post this request. Please reroute/delete at your discretion.

I am trying to source a good video demonstrating "Autoland" functionality and process.  Something that would be meaningful and complete (ie., throughout the process) to a non-pilot. ...for someone who is anxious about the situation wherein the pilot(s) is disabled.   I have made a similar request(s) at a number of GA pilot and aircraft sites, but thus far no joy.

I am hoping that the AVSIM community might be interested in understanding Autoland, and then might have come across a good, single video, explaining and demonstrating the capability.

Many thanks,

Brian

For smaller general aviation planes, search “Garmin Autoland” on YouTube. I believe it is only currently available on a very few planes at the moment, Cirrus Vision Jet and the Piper M600 for sure. I think it may have been recently added to a couple  Daher TBM models. 

For airliners, look for Cat III autoland videos. 

Chris

Interesting question / suggestion 🙂

Autolands AFAIK aren't common in GA, but I found a few videos about it, mostly under emergency scenarios:

Garmin Emergency Autoland Flight Trial - YouTube

Garmin Autonomí: Autoland Activation - YouTube

We Fly: Garmin Autoland King Air - YouTube

Introducing Safe Return Emergency Autoland - YouTube

Garmin’s Autoland Can Land an Airplane with an Incapacitated Pilot – AIN - YouTube

The above are all RL. Bellow a link to one of many autoland tutorials recorded b RL pilots who also dedicate some of their spare time to flight simulation and helping simmers find there way across the Real Ops 🙂

How to Autoland the Airbus! With a Real Airbus Pilot - YouTube

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Preferred addons: TOLISS A32N, TOGA MU-2, VSkylabs DC-3 and R66, LES DC-3, AWX DC-3

10 hours ago, aatd said:

TO MODERATOR(S) --

Many thanks,

Brian

The TBM 930 lands beautifully with the AP:-

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

4 hours ago, SierraHotel said:

The TBM 930 lands beautifully with the AP:-

While it's a nice video made by a knowledgeable contributor, that doesn't look like an autoland procedure. If you look closely at the flight mode at the top of the PFD, the AP annunciator turns off at the decision height and the plane lands with only the LOC, GS, and YD active. Even with the very helpful links provided above, it's not clear to me that there are GA aircraft that do autoland procedures in other than emergency circumstances. 

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

42 minutes ago, jrw4 said:

While it's a nice video made by a knowledgeable contributor, that doesn't look like an autoland procedure. If you look closely at the flight mode at the top of the PFD, the AP annunciator turns off at the decision height and the plane lands with only the LOC, GS, and YD active. Even with the very helpful links provided above, it's not clear to me that there are GA aircraft that do autoland procedures in other than emergency circumstances. 

Well it must be blind luck then, because I've landed lots of times in thick fog or torrential rain completely hands off in the TBM

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

15 hours ago, aatd said:

TO MODERATOR(S) --

Many thanks,

Brian

And in case it's airliners, you want:-

13 minutes ago, SierraHotel said:

Well it must be blind luck then, because I've landed lots of times in thick fog or torrential rain completely hands off in the TBM

Luck indeed. The very few aircraft that do have an autoland option ONLY have it for emergencies, like when the pilot is incapacitated. There isn't a single GA out there that can and may do regular autolands. Only the big jets can and may do that.

I also 'autolanded' a GA in MSFS once or twice just to see if the plane would survice it (which it did btw) but in real llfe this an absolute no go (and so it should be in sims 😉 ).

1 hour ago, jrw4 said:

it's not clear to me that there are GA aircraft that do autoland procedures in other than emergency circumstances. 

There aren't.

Edited by tup61

Here's a link to the real life Daher HomeSafe system

https://www.tbm.aero/news/card/daher-introduces-the-homesafe-emergency-autoland-system-for-its-tbm-940-very-fast-turboprop-aircraft/28

Very interesting, but not a certified autoland as is the case for airliners. 

That this works in MSFS is fun, but it's one of those "sim-isms" that don't correlate to the real world. BTW, with regard to airliners, it's not just the aircraft that needs to be certified for operations beyond Cat I, but also the crew.

There is a difference between an automatic approach and automatic landing. In an automatic approach the aircraft will follow a form of guidance and then the pilot must decide to manually land the aircraft at the decision height or go-around. Beyond this point the autopilot system isn't certified nor is capable of landing the plane safely.

GA aircraft generally aren't equipped for autoland because they just don't need it and it would be extremely expensive to implement for little if any mission gain. You would never takeoff let alone try to land a Cessna 172 in 100m of visibility. A Cessna 172 will also generally not fly into a major airport, it'll fly into small airports where instrument landing systems are not available or not certified to a high standard.

Larger turboprops could have them but turboprobs also generally don't operate into major internationals with a certified ILS. So even with an autoland system equipped, it still may may not be possible to land at some destination airports which defeats the point of the high cost of having the system. It perhaps remains an emergency system except for the large airliners who often fly into the large and well equipped airports.

Edited by G MIDY

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg

Boeing 747-8 Flight Management System Setup - AAU2 - LNAV/VNAV Autoland - CYYZ-KBOS FMS Tutorial -4K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_f4gmdjuq8

FENIX Airbus A320 Autoland CAT III - Vancouver to Seattle - First Flight- ATC- Tutorial - 4K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C82TU2RIVLo

MSFS TBM930 AAU1 - Garmin G3000 RNAV (LPV) Approach Tutorial - Flight Plan and Approach Plate Basics (almost like an autoland … requires throttle management!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq9Tz-WjGpg

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level   Oppenheimer's Trinity - A Flight to Ground Zero in the T-6A Texan | Cold Start | Remastered Photos

Thank you all for your suggestions.  

I probably should have made clear at the outset that I am wanting recommendations for videos describing the emergency GA autoland systems being launched for Piper (Halo Safety System) and Cirrus (Cirrus Safe Return).  Ideally, I'd like to locate a video describing the full capabilities and operation of the system, for understanding by a non-pilot passenger.  I will certainly go through the numerous suggestions already made here,

Thanks again!

Brian