Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

eBikes and eScooters spontaneous combustion.

It looks like I must stand corrected.  E-Bikes do have a place.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

2 hours ago, birdguy said:

It looks like I must stand corrected.  E-Bikes do have a place.

I have a very nice eBike. For the few minutes I pedaled it (about .4 mile) it was a wonderful experience. Unfortunately, my plans to build up my leg strength has been foiled. I had no idea that my sense of balance had deteriorated so much that I dare not try to ride it again... 😫

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I see there are e-trikes but a bit expensive.

Dugald Walker

12 hours ago, n4gix said:

I had no idea that my sense of balance had deteriorated so much that I dare not try to ride it again... 😫

There are probably balance exercises you could do to help.

My balance went a bit dodgy after had had three bouts of labyrinthitis. 

Edited by martin-w

I bought this RadRover 6 Step-Thru back when I still had a decent income. I'm going to try selling it to someone local(ish), but despite it still being new will very likely never get nearly what I paid for it!

It is an off-road Class 2 ebike with 4.5" wide self-sealing tires and weighs about 85 lbs.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yup we just had an apartment fire across the street from my workplace recently from someone charging an E-Scooter in their apartment. I was considering an E-Scooter but I live in a log home, even leaving it outside to charge could spell disaster if the yard caught on fire everything could go up in flames and spread onto neighbouring properties. Seeing the recent damage in Hawaii I have a lot more awareness of fires living on a Pacific Island as things are getting dryer lately. I used to be just worried about the earthquakes  

Matthew Kane

Experts say cheap e-bikes and low-quality batteries — often imported from China — are more likely to catch fire due to a lower-quality manufacturing process.

I guess the morel of the story is buy a quality eBike, not a low quality dodgy one.

I'm thinking that this is a failure of legislation. They shouldn't be allowing the cheap dodgy ones into the country. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

lower-quality manufacturing process.

I recently saw a video that explained this.  China does indeed have standards for production quality, and as far as I can determine they are quite good.

But there's a section of the Chinese economy that they call the Third Market, what we would probably call the black market.  They are much cheaper, but do not adhere to the high standards set by the government.  

The video was called "Death By Chair" if you want to check it out, and can be found with a YouTube search.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

20 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

Seeing the recent damage in Hawaii I have a lot more awareness of fires living on a Pacific Island as things are getting dryer lately. I used to be just worried about the earthquakes  

One burned up a condo in Waikiki yesterday.

scott s.

• Upvote 1

In San Diego, California, a hobby shop selling radio control airplanes and cars burnt down. They were fast charging a set of RC model car batteries.

I always thought some of these so called mysterious passenger plane disappearances is because someone's luggage had iPhones or whatnot with lithium batteries. Catch fire, burn the clothes stored in the same suitcase, fire spreads to things that emit fumes if on fire.

There were no messages coming from the pilot's radio because nobody in the plane heard explosions. They just all just suddenly passed out from the fumes and the plane went on in a straight line until running out of fuel.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.