Sign in to follow this  
JonathanC

Help me find great addon GA for XP 12

I'd like to try some nice addon planes for XP 12. I'm looking for GA, preferably a fast twin with steam gauges, but a single engine/glass cockpit would be ok as well. What are some good addons? Free, preferably, but I don't mind paying for really good quality (like A2A/Milviz/Blacksquare etc).

I'd like planes that are comparable/better than some MSFS's addons like

A2A comanche 
Flysimware Cessna 414w
Milviz 310R
Any of the Blacksquare planes (King Air, Baron)

Not really looking for airliners/bizjets right now, I'm aware of the Zibo and others, but I'd rather fly GA in XP as that gives me a better "feel" .. the bigger planes basically fly the same way in all sims - I'm not a real world pilot, so I don't understand/appreciate the finer nuances of airliner handling. When I fly airliners, I enjoy the setup process and managing the systems, and this works the same way, more or less, in all sims that I have.

I'd appreciate any pointers. I have tried googling but there are too many options and I don't want to get a plane that looks great but doesn't fly well/isn't high fidelity. Some of you have a lot of knowledge about the XP ecosystem and I'm sure I'll get some great options.

Also,  I don't care about the plane being "study level" - by which I mean I'm not bothered about the lack of functional circuit breakers or things that only impact non-normal ops. As long as 90% of the switches/equipment in the cockpit work, I'm happy enough. I enjoy the default planes in XP 12 and would like to try some new things. 

Thanks all 🙂

Thranda has an excellent reputation for product and support with a long history of x-plane experience.  I'd look at their BN-2A Islander.

Simcoders has a solid reputation for systems and flight model accuracy.  They modify existing aircraft packages.  For a performance aircraft, they partnered with JRollon (an excellent aircraft modeler) to produce the SIAI-Marchetti SF.260

The guy at TOGA Simulations is a responsive developer in for the long haul with X-plane that has a MU-2 Marquise you should check out.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

X-Aviation / Take Command! Hotstart TBM 900.

Better only the CL 650 if you ever decide to go bizzjets... or Tollis for Airbus or Zibo for a modern 737...

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020... (😍 IT !!!)

+1 MU2 TOGA - Brilliant plane, one of the best if not the best in its class.

• Like 4

I enjoy the Thranda (and their JustFlight pipers) and experimental vSkyLabs aircraft. Most are being updated to XP12, with the vSkyLabs aircraft being particularly enjoyable and performant

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Seeing your comparisons def +1 for the JRollon SF260. Don't expect the graphics be as fancy as in msfs (subjective for sure) but it's very very close to the same level systems wise as the a2a Comanche. And a hell lotta fun to fly.

Cheers T.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, MSFS Ralf said:

Everything published by X-Aviation.

Agreed.

I personally think the best GA aircraft in any sim are TorqueSim Cirrus Aircraft and HotStart TBM , They are just as good if not better than the MSFS A2A comanche

Edited by jason74
  • Like 2

Jason Richards

Thank you to everyone that responded! I have a good list of things to check out, much appreciated. 

Edited by JonathanC

From my experience, not only the best, it's most immersive - Airfoillabs C172NG and Hotstart Challenger. The Challenger is by far the best addon for any flightsim to date.

• Like 1

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

SF260 with REP (I think it's included now) supports a few different avionics

VFlyte just came out with an XP12 PA30 Twin Comanche with a lovely suite of Garmin avionics...including an incredible engine monitor.  They also have a analog panel to

Torquesim Cirrus is really nice as well...reminds me I may need to pick up their Avidyne SR22.  I'm not too fond of the X plane 1000 (G1000) - it's quite behind the times.

Aerobask DA42 is pretty new and really nice - beautiful in VR!  Otherwise their Legacy and DA52RG also are available for XP12.

Honestly I've kinda been away from the XP12 addon scene - due to numerous purchases from another sim hehe.... but there are some nice XP11 addons that work in 12.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have the X-Hangar Piper Aerostar 700P. Very nicely done and fits the bill of a speedy twin with analoque instruments. Textures could do with a little lift but a pleasure to fly in the sim. 

Then off course there is the Laminar Beech BE58 - its quite ok!

I also have a Carenado XP11 Piper PA23 Aztec. It had turbocharged engines and went pretty good. Needed some mods done which make it eminently flyable in XP12 now - the mods are over at XPlane,org.

Can't suggest anything else not for XP12 anyways. 

How about a big older twin - say the AWX C-47 - freeware and tops for fidelity and systems! Mid range speed wise I guess!