Sign in to follow this  
aatd

MSFS & Tobbi 5 -- Impact(s) on Performance?

I am contemplating adding in a Tobbi Eye Tracker 5, this for use solely with MSFS 2020.  A couple of questions re; any potential downsides...

(1). (Performance Impacts):  Does using Tobbi 5 negatively impact on performance, such as:  fps;  resolution;  and/or cpu and gpu loads?  Anything thing else?  And;

(2). (49" Curved monitor compatibility):  I am using a 49" Samsung Odyssey g9, which has a R1000 curve.  Is Tobbi fully compatible with:  this size of monitor; curved monitors, specifically those with such a significant degree of curvature?

Are there any other negative impacts I should be considering?

Thank you all,

Brian

Edited by aatd
clarity

1. I have not noticed any

2. No sure it makes any difference other than mounting sensor 

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

30" is technically the size limit for accurate eye tracking. The mounting solution that comes with the device should mount on a curved monitor just fine. I currently run a 42" monitor and I have it too far away for the Tobii to work properly so I came up with a solution of having it mounted on a magnet attachment on a little tripod which I set at a specific location on my desk. It works flawlessly. Head tracking should work regardless of monitor size. There is also zero impact on in-game performance. 

My solution.

Edited by vrdubin6
Added comment on performance.

13600K @ 5.6 | Gigabyte Windforce 4090 | LG C2 42"

Thanks everyone,

I will pull up the youtube videos, ...and thank you for the photo showing an alternative mounting method in front of the monitor.  I can see that working for me should it be necessary.  

While I would probably like to have eye tracking, it's head tracking across the full width of my monitor that I am most likely to "need".  That said, re; eye tracking -- does it work up to/about 42" and then go null, or does it become erratic when beyond ~42",

Brian

7 minutes ago, aatd said:

That said, re; eye tracking -- does it work up to/about 42" and then go null, or does it become erratic when beyond ~42",

Basically. Mine is accurate for about the inner 3/4 of the screen but just gets inaccurate if you are looking to the extreme edges of the monitor. Not too erratic or anything.  

13600K @ 5.6 | Gigabyte Windforce 4090 | LG C2 42"

Thanks,

It sounds like I should assume most of the peripheral "eye" tracking vision is within the centre ~30" of the screen, so head motion tracking beyond that.  If correct, it does help knowing that your experience is that there is minimal loss of overall immersion -- yes?

Brian

I have mine mounted below the G9 - works well - as the previous poster said it gets a little iffy towards the extreme edges of the display - but I find it doesn't impact that much - I can happily look out either side of the cockpit to watch the scenery go by. Now my next big problem (?) is that I have bought a Samsung Ark - I am currently moving house so haven't set it up yet - hopefully the move will be completed in the next week or two - Then I'll let everybody know if it works on such a monster of a screen - I do like the simple method of mounting on that magnetic thingo - so if it doesn't work hanging under the big screen I'll certainly try to set a similar system up - if that fails I'll just have to go back to my old track IR

ah just remembered something that may cause you a problem with mounting it under the G9 - the G9 gets very hot & I found that the glue thats on the little velcro strips doesn't handle the heat & it eventually couldn't hold the weight of the tobii - so I have my own little fix tto prop it up - this was even after I followed the instructions not to mount it until the glue cured - so be prepared to be a little inventive to get it safely secured where it's supposed to be mounted

Edited by Rattso
remembered something
  • Like 1

Rattso

Cooler Master Cosmos 700M - Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme D5 - intel i9-12900K(water cooled) - 128gb Corsair Vengeance 5200 D5 - Gigabyte Asorus 4090 waterforce - EVGA 2000W P/S - Creative AE-7 - intel Optane 500gb - 3x 2tb M2 SSDs - 2x 2tb Samsung EVO SSDs - 1x Hybrid 2tb HDD - Thrustmaster Warthog - Honeycombe Bravo quadrant - Thrustmaster TPR pedals - MFG Crosswind - Samsung Oddesy Ark - G9 49" monitor

You will be fine. Go for it you wont be disappointed. I have turned of the eye tracking and only using the head tracking. I'm on a 48" monitor .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

43 minutes ago, FreeBird(Josh) said:

You will be fine. Go for it you wont be disappointed. I have turned of the eye tracking and only using the head tracking. I'm on a 48" monitor .

Same, except, 41” Monitor.

• Upvote 1

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I Gigabyte Z790 UD AX| MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker | 850W Thermaltake 80+ GOLD |

Thanks, ...I appreciate the practicable findings/reccommendations,

Brian

I have ordered a Tobii after becoming frustrated with TrackIR.  The TrackIR active headset thing is wired which is a pain, and the sensor is prone to being disrupted by the sun or any other lights in the background (my setup is in a room with several windows).

I game on a 77" OLED TV that is about 5' from me. The Tobii will definitely not work mounted to the TV frame, but I'm hoping it will work mounted to the top of my Streamdeck which sits on top of my Yoke.  That will put it about arm's reach away, and the 77" TV at 5" is about the same field of view as a 30" display at arm's reach so I'm hoping it works just fine.

The only issue with performance and head tracking, is that FPS becomes more important when you're panning your view around. But everyone's sensitivities to this are going to be different.  If you're running at 30FPS, you may find panning to be a jerky mess, or you may not even notice.

Edited by Virtual-Chris

Holy cow! A 77 inch screen! That must be super awesome and lifleike!

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

32 minutes ago, vonduck said:

Holy cow! A 77 inch screen! That must be super awesome and lifleike!

It’s great, especially with head tracking. 

Thank you Chris,

30 fps and panning...   That's good to know, since I am floating around 27-30 fps under a full gpu load (1080ti).   

Question -- would the loss of useful panning be the same as when using a Track IR5?  If yes, I do have one and can give it a try before making a mistake and buying a tobii that will just end up sitting in a box,

Brian