Sign in to follow this  
andyjohnston.net

Changes In...

Since the program first came out, there have been a ton of changes to the aircraft, to the point where I can no longer figure out how to do everything in (for example) some of the jets and so I am stuck flying VFR in the little guys.  I'm trying to learn to use the various planes but it isn't easy.  Tutorials, such as on YouTube, are created for different versions and are seldom for the most recent ones.  I myself created a tutorial for using the Longitude as it first came with the program but by now it's obsolete.

I guess what I'm getting at is:  is there a way I can find this information?  I can try asking here where people are knowledgeable but I don't want to become a bother.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

Is there a specific aircraft you're trying to learn? You're pretty vague about what exactly you are trying to better understand and since MSFS has so many aircraft available at this point, it's hard to send you in a certain direction. If you're looking for something high fidelity like PMDG, Fenix, etc., there are plenty of up-to-date videos on YouTube that'll provide you tutorials.

With that said, lets start here: What are you trying to fly exactly?

Gaming rig
Intel i9 13900k - NZXT Kraken Z73 cooler - ASUS Maximus Hero Z790 
32GB Trident Z 6000MHz DDR5 - Gigabyte 4090 GAMING OC 24G
10 x 120mm Lian Li UNI fans - Lian Li OD11XL Case - Corsair HX1500i PSU

3 hours ago, andyjohnston.net said:

I guess what I'm getting at is:  is there a way I can find this information? 

Have you looked here:

https://www.flightsimulator.com/aircraft-manuals/

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

when you open youtube there's a icon that says "filters". You can set that to only show videos the last year, month, week, day, an hour. Video is likely to up to date if you select month for instance.

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Do you have the Hjet or Vision Jet? If so, there's lots of current documentation/tutorials on how to operate them and in general, once you know how to run one small jet, you can figure out how to run them all.

The main operational difference between the Longitude and the Hjet at this point (other than the Longitude being much faster and longer-range) is that the Longitude has thrust reversers. There are some nitpicky differences between the different implementation of the avionics, but nothing that should be overly confusing once you know one of them.

13 hours ago, Keirtt said:

Is there a specific aircraft you're trying to learn? You're pretty vague about what exactly you are trying to better understand and since MSFS has so many aircraft available at this point, it's hard to send you in a certain direction. If you're looking for something high fidelity like PMDG, Fenix, etc., there are plenty of up-to-date videos on YouTube that'll provide you tutorials.

With that said, lets start here: What are you trying to fly exactly?

I'm just using the default aircraft.  At the beginning, I could fly all except the NEO (which was always beyond me.)  Now I find with a lot of them I have various issues.  Like for example if I use the flight planner to set up a plan to take me from a destination and come in using a given landing (say ILS to runway X) I will following the flight plan and it will get me in the area and then just stop.  Leaving me to navigate manually to find the airport and get down.  Recently, I did a flight in the 747 which was to take me from Asia back home to my area in North America.  The plan said it would land at runway 32 CYOW using the ILS.  But instead the plan just disappeared without any reason somewhere over northern Quebec.  I've had similar issues using the Longitude, and can no longer figure out at all how to us the other Citation. 

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

6 hours ago, andyjohnston.net said:

I'm just using the default aircraft.  At the beginning, I could fly all except the NEO (which was always beyond me.)  Now I find with a lot of them I have various issues.  Like for example if I use the flight planner to set up a plan to take me from a destination and come in using a given landing (say ILS to runway X) I will following the flight plan and it will get me in the area and then just stop.  Leaving me to navigate manually to find the airport and get down.  Recently, I did a flight in the 747 which was to take me from Asia back home to my area in North America.  The plan said it would land at runway 32 CYOW using the ILS.  But instead the plan just disappeared without any reason somewhere over northern Quebec.  I've had similar issues using the Longitude, and can no longer figure out at all how to us the other Citation. 

The default aircraft have been massively upgraded over the past year or so, and many of them are now quite complex to fly as they actually implemented the proper avionics. 

My advice to you would be to pick one plane and really learn it well. Once you have understood the fundamentals, it's quite easy to pick up a new plane. 

If you're flying airliners, pick the 787. If you don't have access to the 787, download the free FlyByWire Airbus A320 and learn that - they have great documentation that really explains each aspect of the plane. 

For the 787, try this playlist of tutorials

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-4y7fmOeA-UfTKmIaZecc1yhy8BPQhBZ

For FBW, see

https://flybywiresim.com/

https://docs.flybywiresim.com/

If you prefer flying smaller planes, the default Cessna 172 is a good place to start. Once you learn how the avionics work, you'll be able to transfer that knowledge to many different planes. Try this tutorial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMJJQ0Hb1A4

Focusing on one plane and getting really good at it is key - once you have that done, every new plane will become easier and easier to figure out.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions if you get stuck

• Like 3

In many ways, it's an almost entirely new sim since it was first released and the mods to support various aircraft take it many levels higher..  As Jonathan has said, look at those mods and there are many very good Youtube tutorials on each of them to help you along.

I think one of the problems, and I used to fit into this category, is that with so many aircraft to fly, you end up flying lots of different planes but never really mastering any of them! My advice is to choose one GA and one airliner and then learn to fly them properly. You really will go down a rabbit hole if you try and learn more than one study level airliner at a time. At least this is how I have done things. :wink:

• Upvote 3

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

My advice is to choose one GA and one airliner and then learn to fly them properly. Y 

I agree ! And add that, in spite my admiration for the teams doing a great job improving the default aircraft,  following a 3-year work in progress with changes every so often is not for me. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

I think one of the problems, and I used to fit into this category, is that with so many aircraft to fly, you end up flying lots of different planes but never really mastering any of them! My advice is to choose one GA and one airliner and then learn to fly them properly. You really will go down a rabbit hole if you try and learn more than one study level airliner at a time. At least this is how I have done things. :wink:

Ha! True. But after a while you end up like some of us with a ton of plane you enjoy for different roles.

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

7 hours ago, Sonosusto said:

Ha! True. But after a while you end up like some of us with a ton of plane you enjoy for different roles.

Indeed

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776