Sign in to follow this  
Bozdog

Quest 3 ? Any owners of Quest 2 upgraded ? Impressions ?

You need to set at least >150% render scale (i.e. oversampling) in OpenXR to see the true sharpness of G2. I use 225% and that makes a huge difference. It's taxing my 4090 very heavily, but the sharpness I got from G2 makes this card worth every penny. 

I used Oculus Debug Tool to set Q3 to even higher oversampling levels (1.8x = 324%) and its sharpness is still no match to G2. Frankly I don't know exactly why G2 benefits so dramatically from oversampling, maybe due to its lense distortion profile.

Edited by FlyIce

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

1 hour ago, FlyIce said:

You need to set at least >150% render scale (i.e. oversampling) in OpenXR to see the true sharpness of G2. I use 225% and that makes a huge difference. It's taxing my 4090 very heavily, but the sharpness I got from G2 makes this card worth every penny. 

I used Oculus Debug Tool to set Q3 to even higher oversampling levels (1.8x = 324%) and its sharpness is still no match to G2. Frankly I don't know exactly why G2 benefits so dramatically from oversampling, maybe due to its lense distortion profile.

Interesting figures, thanks for posting, will keep in mind when I do eventually update to the 4090 for my Q3.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

First major update!

One wonders about how this might translate into interactions in virtual cockpits........

Besides the obvious gaming applications and etc.....

Which points out another thing... Meta is always innovating in this VR space. What might not seem quite so exciting now, might go in unexpected directions that change the entire equation.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 hour ago, dogmanbird said:

what's Mark watching you do with those downward looking cameras eh?? 😲

Well if he's that curious....... 🤷‍♂️

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Quest/Pico/Vive BETA version 1.29.3 - Release Notes

@everyone To install this beta version, navigate to the store page of Virtual Desktop on the Meta website (https://www.meta.com/experiences/2017050365004772/) or phone app. Scroll down to the version number, click it and select the BETA channel.
You will also need to manually install the Beta Streamer from here: https://download.vrdesktop.net/files/beta/VirtualDesktop.Streamer.Setup.exe

• Improved AV1 performance with AMD
• Improved SSW quality on Quest
• Added custom OpenXR runtime called VDXR on the PC side providing up to 10% improved performance
• Added OpenXR runtime selection box in the Streamer window (Automatic, SteamVR or VDXR)
• Added Exit Game button in the Virtual Desktop menu for non-SteamVR games
• Removed regular AV1 codec option (only AV1 10-bit now available)
• Fixed compatibility with many games on the Rift store: Pistol Whip, Onward, Population: One, Zenith, etc.
• Fixed issues with audio device restoration and monitor resolution change when shutting down/restarting computer in VR
• Fixed incorrect 5 GHz / 7 GHz appearing in computers tab / performance overlay when using 6 GHz band
• Fixed Head Lock feature to work when moving around your play space
• Fixed field of view edges on Quest 3

For Pico/Vive users, you can install this Beta by installing the APK from the GitHub page here: https://github.com/guygodin/VirtualDesktop/releases/tag/v1.29.3

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Well if he's that curious....... 🤷‍♂️

i throw a towel over the q3 if i'm in the same room 

but i'll let him listen, just for a bit of kink

Devons rig

A nice through the lens vid of the Quest 3 in action, albeit in DCS.

Still a great example of what to expect in a sim.

• Like 1

Devons rig

just a heads up to g2 owners thinking of switching - regardless of settings, I don't think anyone using Q3 has surpassed the very centre sharpness of their G2 (including me) via cable, air link  or VD, should that be a deciding factor for you. 

In the video, the headset is close to the MFD's when we see the text. Form a seated position in the cockpit without leaning forward, the text is a little fizzy on Q3, where it is almost perfectly clear on G2 sweet spot.

Yeah, Q3 is just not quite good enough. Seems the Pimax Crystal is the only one that is sharp in center and near very sharp at the outer edges.

12 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

A nice through the lens vid of the Quest 3 in action, albeit in DCS

Is it just me, or do you find DCS provides a little sharper VR image than MSFS? I find instruments easier to read in DCS.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

45 minutes ago, odourboy said:

Is it just me, or do you find DCS provides a little sharper VR image than MSFS? I find instruments easier to read in DCS.

Which is what I meant earlier about MSFS not being all that well optimized visually for vr.

DCS is noticeably more legible in the cockpit, especially after he recent vr updates, and Aerofly is so sharp that the instruments are easily as legible as real life. You feel almost as if your eyeballs are going to be cut, it's so absolutely clear.

Then you go to MSFS, and its relatively muddy without all kinds of settings tweaks. 

My experience is that many games show the headset is more than capable of ultra-crisp and colorful graphics.

So why does msfs remain so comparatively difficult to dial in, then?

The tendency is to immediately blame the headset, but I suspect strongly there is something else going on as well.

Devons rig

I think there's still room to improve via PC link, to get a little closer to G2 sharpness. Might not get all the way there because the pixels are spread over a larger area. I realise there's a lot of wasted panel on the Q3 with the face padding attached.  When I remove it and get it right up to the eyeballs, I still don't see the panel edge till my eyelashes touch the lenses. It increases fov quite a bit, maybe more so than doing it on the g2. I'm using it on a butchered bobovr m2 halo headband without the padding/shroud to get it as close as possible.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if down the road a q3 software update is released that unlocks something like direct video over usb-c  or at least a much higher bit rate option (maybe lossless compression?) when used over usb-c and the capabilities have been there all along. They'll probably leave it as it is until there's another product that is competitive enough to affect their sales, then "Tada!!"

Edited by dogmanbird

6 hours ago, VeryBumpy said:

Yeah, Q3 is just not quite good enough. Seems the Pimax Crystal is the only one that is sharp in center and near very sharp at the outer edges.

The outer edges were blurry when I had mine, something to do with it not being pancake lenses. It’s an overhyped device imo. 

• Like 1