Sign in to follow this  
Tony P

Positive thread & TIPS for Dx10/SP2

Guest j0nx

I decided to rebuild my pc and after much trouble i can say that the dx10 speeds are where they should be now! I installed fsx and then the acceleration addon right after and it worked fine. It must have been something in my fsx causing the dx10 not to work. I opted not to reinstall utx because its too much of a frame rate killer. I will miss the extra ground traffic though...The kicker here is that i only get to fly in one area at a time. If i load a saved flight or start a new one and then load a different flight later on my frame rate takes a dive by 50% until i restart the sim. Sometimes i can load a new flight and it wont kill my frame rate but most of the time it does and i have to restart. Things look pretty good in dx10 although theres really not that much difference from dx9 other than being able to run 2.0 medium water and bloom with not much frame rate hit. Now if i could only figure out why loading a new flight kills my frame rate...

Guest Surfstud31

A very simple trick to increase frame rates without a re-install is to just backup your fsx.cfg file, then delete the original. When you restart FSX, it will create a new 'clean' fsx.cfg file. You'll have to reset your settings but it's worth it. This 'trick' has doubled my frame rates.

Guest bigean

Hi J0nx,may I ask you for more details with the water settings? You said you can now use 2.x medium water in DX10 without fps loss. Question 1: When you go 1 step higher, how much fps do you roughly loose in DX10 then?Question 2: What was your "highest" DX9 setting you could use with small or no fps loss? And then I'll be more than happy if you could do a screenshot with DX10 2.medium and next to it a DX9 screenshot with the old water setting as requested with my 2nd question. I think close to a coastline would be the best place for the screenshots, along with Autogen, Traffic and Clouds, because the different water 2.x settings would add these objects one by another into the water reflections. Also interesting is the effect of water on runways. Does it benefit from 2.medium enabled DX10?My thread here would be a good place to answer, cause I wanted to have an overview about the real benefits.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...d=421713&page=3Hope you have time to give us an insight ;-)Bigean

Hi, am I going crazy.I have open to edit with notepad the fsx.cfg found under vista 32 bit in following directoryuser/me/appData/roaming/microsoft/fsxI cannot find any Job Scheduler or the words AffinityMask=x in this cfg file?Should it be there already or do I have to type it in, if the later, where in file do I put it?Thanks inadvancePhilI am running a Intel Quad Core CPU6700, just wanted to test it out to see if there was any inprovments to performance.Dell XPS-710VBista Ultimate 32bitNvidia Ge Force 8800 GTX card4GB memoryAlso query to all Vista users, do you all have this issue that you lose so much ram because of video card?As avaliable memory to system is only 2.75gb of 4gb ddr 633 ram installed.

Guest DiNozzo

Hi,I have just installed FSX Acceleration this afternoon. I have a Dell XPS 410 with 3GB RAM, 8800 GTX. I have my settings set mostly to high, sme are set to medium-high. I usually start my flights at KSFO, and prior to Acceleration, I was getting about 18 FPS average on the airport surface. The FPS improved substantially during the climb-out.After installating Acceleration, and checking the DX10 Preview option, my FPS drops to about 13!!I have defragmented my HD, and I am not running anything else that wasn't running prior to Acceleration.I am curious to see what sort of FPS you guys are getting taxiing around KSFO.Also, take a look at the attachment...There seems to be some missing texture between the taxiway and the beginning of the runway (01R).Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Hi, I'm getting 20 to 30's around dence scenery. other settings medium to high, And that is with AI traffic at 90%, driver is verson 163.69That is without Direct X Preview turned on.PhilDell XPS-710Quad core cpu 67004gb ram

Guest DiNozzo

Wow, I wish I could have that!I have an 8800 GTX, 2.66 dual-core, 4GB RAM (only 3GB recognizedby Vista 32-bit), the latest public nVidia driver, and all I am getting is an average of 15-20 fps at the very most. Many times it hovers around 12-13!!

I've found it you play around in the Nvidia control panel ( right click on desktop) and test different things to do with anti aliasing and asign them to FSX game controlled, it may help with frame rates.One thing I do keep set to low is road traffic, ships etc and airport ground traffic to mid low.Also cloud draw to only mid to low end.CiaoPhil

Great instructions David but you forgot to mention that it is a good practice to delete the NVIDIA folder which may still contain remnants of the old driver install. The folder is found just above the Program Files folder in windows explorer.

\Robert Hamlich/

Driver Cleaner PE 1.5 does it for you :--)

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Hi,After hours and hours of attempts I get nice results with the following tweaks.My problems were stutters, CTDs, blurries and erratic FPS when in DX10 mode.For the moment, they are fixed.Here is what I've done.It works on my config, you can try at your own risk! :-)A- FSX.CFGNo change AT ALL (no bufferpool, no texture bandwidth, no fiber frame, NOTHING!). Just let FSX + Accel build a new one and don't apply the "old" tweaksB- NVIDIA DRIVERForget the Betas... They are not stable.WHQL 163.75 is OKC- nHANCERnew settings that really make the difference:-Supersampling: 8xs-Super-transparency AA: On-Anisotropic filtering: 16x-Vertical Sync: On-Triple Buffer: On-Texture Filtering: High Quality-Trilinear Optimization: On-Anisotropic Sample Optimization: On-Negative LOD Bias: Allow-Force Mip Maps: Trilinear-HDR: Enabled-Conformant Texture Clamp: OnD- FSX DISPLAY OPTIONSAA: checkedAniso: checkedFPS: Limit them at 24.It really seems that SP2 doesn't like unlimited fps, contrary to SP1.E- FULL SCREENand only full screen!

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Hello David!I followed your original instructions and was waiting to test them for several days before making a post. I just read your last post and I WHOLE heartedly agree with you... especially your point about NOT tweaking fsx.cfg. I came to the same conclusion after getting a few "weird" grahic anomolies. I renamed fsx.cfg, and let the program rebuild it. To my surprise, it set all my sliders to the right... it ran very well like that as well (away from busy aiports that is).Thank you David. I may just start using FSX a little more now. I still prefer my FS9 setup... for now! I have spent "much quid" and time, to get it where it is today.

Hi David, as you seem to be the FSX guru around here.I thank you for you suggestions re FSX and Acceleration pack.What you say is corrrect. But I was wondering if you had heard anything from Phil Taylor etc, if the full SP2 to come out before Christmas which will have Direct X 10 support as per his blog pots, http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...on-and-sp2.aspxIf this is going to help solve a major issue of add on afct textures displaying all white.I currently have 6 payware aircraft and Flight one Ultimate Traffic and none as usable with Direct X 10 Preview.Will this change after SP2?I get an impression from some of the designers that they have stuck their head in the sand until Christmas hopeing it will.ThanksPhil

We are not changing the plan. To do so would mean not getting SP2 out before Christmas.3rd parties should inform users what their plans are for updates as a courtesy to customers.