Sign in to follow this  
Tony P

Positive thread & TIPS for Dx10/SP2

Thanks for post and info PhilI kind of thought as much, hence my comment of some 3rd parties sticking their head in the sand hoping it will fix itself, well it will not as I suspected.I like many have paid good money for 3rd party stuff and also for a system to run FSX Vista and Direct X 10 and Direct X 10 capable video card and I do not want to run FSX with Direct X 10 preview turned off, as I get a 40 to 50% increase in frame rates and performance with it on. I gather it was called a preview for FSX as a full version support for FSX with be part of SP2?I trust you don't mind if I post a link to your post in a couple of forums of these 3rd parties.Let me know if that is okay.Cheers Phil Dell XPS-710320Sata HD120gb sata solely for FSX4 GB ramNvidia 8800 GTX 657mbIntel Quad core 6700

Hi Customer Phil,We all need to understand that all the DX10 stuff for FSX is done and you are looking at it! There is nothing more coming with the stand alone SP2. It will still be called a preview for FSX. The next point to see new DX10 stuff will be in FS11.Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Guest Lith1um

"I gather it was called a preview for FSX as a full version support for FSX with be part of SP2?"Negative, what you see now is what we get.It ended up being called a "DX10 Preview" for the following reason: The amount of time alloted for FSX development was a finite time period. After a pre-determined period of time the team was to move on to developing MS Train Simulator and FS11.Due to performance issues and issues such as "the blurries", much of that finite period of time was budgeted towards those problems and ended up being SP1, and SP2. By the time they were able to finaly free up enough manpower to develop the DX10 code, most of the alloted time was gone. Since they were unable to spend as much time as they would have liked on a full blown DX10 version, they weighed their options and added what they had time for, choosing instead to call it a "DX10 Preview".

While in general I have no problems with dissemination of information I disclose, in this case I am interested in where you would repost this info. So if you could add links, that would be great.

Lith1um, it would have been right to add that your statement is pure speculation, "your" vision of reality which is respectable as an opinion, but not affirmatively "the" reality.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

>Hi David, as you seem to be the FSX guru around here.>I thank you for you suggestions re FSX and Acceleration pack.>What you say is corrrect. Sorry Phil (customer) but I am not a guru and I would hate being a guru!What I try in this post is just to add my testimonial to others but I don't hold the universal truth, thanx God for that!! :-)(Pamper yourself and read (or reread) Hermann Hesse's fantastic book "Siddharta" that speaks so well about the dangers of gurus :--))

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Just call me Mr President!:-)Have a nice day Phil

Best regards,
David Roch

Hi,Only place I have posted link to the posts here at avsim about it, is here.http://ultimatetraffic.flight1.net/forums/...p?TID=4336&PN=2As I can get replacement add on afct to fly that will display textures correct with Direct X 10 preview, but doing something about a AI traffic program is all together different.the posts on this issue have been going on at that forum for well over a week now. It is a real pain not being able to use this program that was only quite recently upgraded for FSX, for which we all paid for update.And will most likely have to pay again, if and when they update for Direct X 10 preview. But as they say, such is life!I've done some scenery design and created own custom textures for FS9 and prior, I do kind of wonder if there is a image converter program that would fix the problem, but that may break copyright, so I say no more.

Guest j0nx

I would like to see this fixed as well along with my eaglesoft planes. What i would really like to see ultimately (no pun intended) is a real FSX version of this software with updated paints and models! I read a while back that he was going to do this but can't find any info on what the eta is.

Guest phpdk

David,Thank you very much for this thread, and for all your efforts.I have used your settings, the first as well as the second set, with all available drivers. Your latest set is certainly the best, and in combination with 163.75 it almost eliminates my building texture problems. I had only one CTD with 169.04 btw.My rig is newly built (Gigabyte GA-P35T-DQ6, Q6700@2.67GHz (no oc for now), 2Gb Corsair 133C9DHX DDR3, Asus EN8800Ultra 768Mb, Vista Home Premium 32-bit) and my FSX settings close to yours (no self-shadowing but ground shadows on).In all I am very happy with Acceleration and with (the little) experience we have with DX-10. I did expect problems with backward compatibility, and although I am a developer of freeware scenery (Faroe Islands for FSX among others), I support a move towards a cleaner code, and even a complete break with pre-FSX code. I only hope that ACES will continue along the line of openness (much appreciated) and give us a fair warning. (And give us a simple way to let objects show conditionally - at the moment I can only make a flag follow the direction of the wind through the use of the FS9 game pack).One thing about my AI a/c stock puzzles me, though. Most shows no textures. OK. A few show textures when at the gate and during pushback. But the textures disappear when the aircraft starts taxiing.Besides that, a couple of real problems remain for me with the DX-10 preview. And I am not certain that they relate solely to the immature drivers.(1) Effects. Lights - but also other effects - disappear at dusk, night and dawn or appear only when seen from certain angels. I tried default effects, my own ones, as attached effects or placed separately. With all available drivers. Same result. Try any tower or beacon tower, i.e. EKCH. The Obs-light is there at day, but shows not correctly at night (dusk or dawn).(2) Some library objects show transparent textures at night or they disappear altogether. Try the default "large_fuel_tank" or the tower at EKCH. I see no problems with the textures, so either if not a driver problem then the problem lies with the FSX DX-10 or the models themselves.(3) Default cars have transparency problems with (rear)lights.(4) Taxiway markings flicker and the dashed lines have a transparency problem.Peter

Hi Peter,Thanks for your kind words.I am glad if this topic can help.Regarding your remaining problems, I've checked at EKCH and I don't meet the same situation.1) no problem of lights at dusk or dawn2) no problem with transparent textures3) no rear lights issue4) yes, flickering and dashed lines.I use World Of AI and textures are ok with SP2.I hope this information can help you investigating elsewhere the reason of your problems.Best regards,DavidBTW I love your Faroe Islands mesh and scenery, many thanks! :--)

Best regards,
David Roch

Guest phpdk

Hi David,Glad you liked the Faroese scenery.I actually noticed the problems first at EKVG. If you have the scenery installed, could you please check if the obs light on top of the tower and the taxilights are visibile at night when seen from all angels. I also noted the transparent textures fist at the two fuel tanks there (at night), and the rear light problem on the parked cars when seen from certain angels (at night). The obs light is default, and so are the tanks and the cars.Peter

Peter,Sorry but I can't help you on this one.When I've installed Accel I have made a new FSX install so I don't have EKVG anymore.I wanted to reinstall it but because of the changes made by the SP2 to the Terrain file I didn't install it yet. I want to be sure I don't miss any entry in this cfg file.Maybe a part of your problems could come from this Terrain file?Just my two cents..

Best regards,
David Roch