Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Adapting to Technology - Part 2

Yet another way in which mankind will need to find a way to adapt to new technology.

Quantum computers will be capable of breaking the codes that secure everything from national secrets to credit cards.

Quantum is the language of the universe. We are computing with the language of the universe.

Edited by martin-w

I'm not too concerned about this, at least in the near-term.  Quantum computing has a long way to go before it can be used to perform practical or useful tasks.

If the technology ever becomes practical and useful, then I'm sure new encryption methods will be developed, probably using the same technology.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv6.1

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

My website for P3D stuff: https://sites.google.com/view/thep3dfiles/home

3 hours ago, dave2013 said:

I'm not too concerned about this, at least in the near-term.  Quantum computing has a long way to go before it can be used to perform practical or useful tasks.

If the technology ever becomes practical and useful, then I'm sure new encryption methods will be developed, probably using the same technology.

Dave

The issue that some are raising is that anything encrypted right now would be vulnerable if/when quantum computing truly becomes widespread. There are already concerns that some groups, like less than friendly foreign governments, might be stockpiling encrypted data they've stolen today in anticipation of being able to easily crack it later. Sure, some of it will become outdated and stale in the mean time, but not everything (eg. names of long term spies, weapons systems still in use etc.). Re-encrypting that data with some new quantum encryption wouldn't protect the previous content using current encryption.

• Like 1

Thats works both ways, though.....

Draw.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

14 hours ago, dave2013 said:

Dave

The current record breaking Quantum Computer has more than 1000 qubits, so they are advancing fast. I don't know if you watched the video but there's a quantum computer in use now, at Cleveland Clinic, in cooperation with IBM.

At 7:24 the guy that founded Google's lab claims that we don't need fundamental breakthroughs, we need little improvements here and there. They're estimating the end of this decade, so 5 or 6 years.

12 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Thats works both ways, though.....

Draw.

That doesn't really make it better. And it isn't just government level data either, but medical and corporate data that is currently protected may not be in the not too distant future.

41 minutes ago, goates said:

That doesn't really make it better. And it isn't just government level data either, but medical and corporate data that is currently protected may not be in the not too distant future.

There appears to be no way to make it better, so the best one might be able to hope for is they get hurt worse than us.....

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I think that a lot of this new tech stuff like quantum computing, AI, certain types of vehicles and energy, etc., have been hyped up by the media as well as individuals and businesses looking to cash in on promoting and sensationalizing it.

Adoption of certain vehicles has fallen off a cliff now that the truth has been revealed and people who bought them are realizing that they're not the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Same goes for certain types of energy.  There are a myriad of articles about this if one is interested.

The AI hype will wear off soon enough as well.

I'm not saying that these technologies are dead, just that they are not ready for practical application on a large scale yet.

Dave

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Adoption of certain vehicles has fallen off a cliff

Same goes for certain types of energy

BEV sales in all twenty analyzed markets increased by 26% in the third quarter of 2023 in comparison with the same period last year. But if it were not for waning growth in the Chinese market, that figure would be considerably higher.

Autofacts recent study of market trends suggests that this strong BEV sales performance will continue, with projected growth of 35% in all analyzed markets in 2024.

https://www.strategyand.pwc.com/de/en/industries/automotive/electric-vehicle-sales-review-2023-q3.html

Global additions of renewable power capacity will increase by a third this year, says the International Energy Agency (IEA).

In the IEA’s 2023 Renewable Energy Market Update report, the agency said new global renewable capacity will jump by 107 gigawatts (GW) to over 440 GW. This is the largest increase ever reported.

Any chance we can stick to quantum computers and not get the thread locked? Would be a shame to get this topic locked? 

Edited by martin-w
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dave2013 said:

have been hyped up by the media

2.2 billion was spent in 2022 on quantum computing. 

UK alone want to spend 2.5 billion.

US want to spend further billions too. 

Market is expected to expand by 500% by 2028. So no, I don't believe its media hype. 

New technologies being hyped up by inventors, companies and the media is nothing new as it has been happening for decades, if not centuries. Of the latest new technologies, I suspect that quantum computing and LLM/AI will be here to stay. Some of the more fanciful uses people imagine for them won't happen, but people are finding them useful for some tasks already (at least when it comes to AI/LLM).

5 minutes ago, goates said:

New technologies being hyped up by inventors, companies and the media is nothing new as it has been happening for decades, if not centuries. Of the latest new technologies, I suspect that quantum computing and LLM/AI will be here to stay. Some of the more fanciful uses people imagine for them won't happen, but people are finding them useful for some tasks already (at least when it comes to AI/LLM).

I note that in the Amazon bookstore, it's now a thing' to slap on a disclaimer that no part of a given novel has been written by AI.......

I noted the disclaimers recently with a bit of a quirked eyebrow, but it seems to be an actual growing issue.

Edited by HiFlyer

Devons rig

57 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Any chance we can stick to quantum computers and not get the thread locked?

This is a one-time, necessary response to Martin's propaganda:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelharley/2023/10/30/5-reasons-why-electric-vehicle-sales-have-slowed/

https://www.businessinsider.com/automakers-over-estimated-electric-vehicle-demand-early-adopters-2023-10?op=1

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/more-alarm-bells-sound-slowing-demand-electric-vehicles-2023-10-25/

https://fortune.com/2023/11/04/carmakers-rethink-electric-vehicle-investments-demand-inflation-interest-rates/

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/07/business/energy-environment/electric-vehicles-sales.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2023/11/14/ev-sales-2023-slow-inventory-pile-up/71572499007/

Done.

Dave

I thought I made my position clear in the previous post, but I'll repeat it one more time:

I said that I do not think that these technologies are dead.  They are, however, still immature and not quite ready for large-scale application.  That doesn't mean that they won't ever mature or become viable.  Yes, AI is becoming an issue, but it's not at the point where we have to worry about it "taking over".

Dave

37 minutes ago, dave2013 said:

Yes, AI is becoming an issue, but it's not at the point where we have to worry about it "taking over".

I think we are already at that point:

"AI systems are being used in the service of disinformation on the internet, giving them the potential to become a threat to democracy and a tool for fascism. From deepfake videos to online bots manipulating public discourse by feigning consensus and spreading fake news."

https://ai100.stanford.edu/gathering-strength-gathering-storms-one-hundred-year-study-artificial-intelligence-ai100-2021-1-0#_2021SQ10ref15

Dugald Walker