Sign in to follow this  
GoranM

X-Plane just keeps getting better and better!

A very cloudy day at Heathrow.

For the hawk-eyed among you, the clouds still have some banding.  Cloud improvements and fixes should be coming in 12.1

407339623_903734447813424_27305606099185

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Waiting for XP Update:

46 minutes ago, Greazer said:

DLSS Implementation

I'll mention it for, I think, the 3rd or 4th time for you.  X-Plane can't have DLSS.  It's cross platform, and DLSS is exclusive to nvidia.

46 minutes ago, Greazer said:

FSR 3 Implementation

You want both DLSS and FSR?  I don't think you realize, FSR is the AMD equivalent of DLSS.  The difference is, FSR is cross platform.  So it works on NVIDIA AND AMD. X-Plane 12 has had it from day 1.

48 minutes ago, Greazer said:

Vegetation, grass and dust effects

Why?  It's not "Farm Simulator"

48 minutes ago, Greazer said:

FPS performance leaps

Way too vague.  Performance has vastly improved over the last year.  With more performance improvements on the way.

49 minutes ago, Greazer said:

Cloud rendering variety

What does this mean?

49 minutes ago, Greazer said:

Full multicore / GPU optimization

X-Plane 12 is multicore.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

I think XP12 has indeed improved a lot in the last releases, so much that I have been using it more and more. Looking forward to the 12.1. version.

Nevertheless, I would like to point out that, even though proprietary to nVidia, Frame Generation is a killer feature that should make its way into XP.

MSFS is also multi-plaform (Xbox runs AMD hardware) and that is no excuse to not have DLSS/FG available on PC.

Many other multi-plat titles also offer DLSS + FSR, with DLSS (esp. V3) being much better than FSR.

Edited by GCBraun
  • Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

From what I have seen, Laminar are keen on keeping X-Plane FSR only.

And from the literature I've read about FSR, I can see why.

X-Plane 12 is about the only game/sim I can natively run on my M2 Pro Mac and has amazing performance... I hope this never changes, since we have so few options for those that don't like Windows (And find Linux too unfriendly)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Being multi-platform does not mean that XP has to perform equally and/or have the same features on all supported platforms. You can get much better performance on PC for a fraction of the cost of a Mac. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

4 hours ago, GCBraun said:

multi-plaform (Xbox runs AMD hardware)

Xbox is hardly "multi-platform". Xbox is a mini PC, per your own observations about AMD hardware. It's a low(er) power PC.

Frame Generation

FSR3 does this too.

being much better than FSR.

This has been well debunked. The methods trade blows, depending on the application.

LR shared a roadmap in their recent discord Q&A. Motion vectors and TAA were shamelessly shown as in-process now. I'm sure that will eventually lead to fake frames (boooo!!) too.

• Upvote 1

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

43 minutes ago, blingthinger said:

LR shared a roadmap in their recent discord Q&A. Motion vectors and TAA were shamelessly shown as in-process now. I'm sure that will eventually lead to fake frames (boooo!!) too.

Shamelessly? Maybe I've missed some tonal context here?

26 minutes ago, DeltaWho said:

Shamelessly? Maybe I've missed some tonal context here?

Indeed. I personally want neither fake frames nor TAA. But on top of that, it was both tongue-in-cheek surprise that you folks shared such detailed roadmap-ish content and also that on this website, the underdogs (XP in this case) are generally not allowed to shine without some form of retribution. How dare you code up motion vectors and therefore a potentially superior implementation of FSR/DLSS!! :)

• Like 1

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

15 minutes ago, blingthinger said:

Indeed. I personally want neither fake frames nor TAA. But on top of that, it was both tongue-in-cheek surprise that you folks shared such detailed roadmap-ish content and also that on this website, the underdogs (XP in this case) are generally not allowed to shine without some form of retribution. How dare you code up motion vectors and therefore a potentially superior implementation of FSR/DLSS!! 🙂

I see (I think :P)

8 hours ago, GCBraun said:

Being multi-platform does not mean that XP has to perform equally and/or have the same features on all supported platforms. You can get much better performance on PC for a fraction of the cost of a Mac. 

But it all depends on the users needs where cost of a machine is not always a factor when determining what is more efficient or more reliable and not what more popular. Time is one of those thing that never get mention and is usually to most that is wasted and sometimes, time is money.

Here is the thing, while looking from a dollar prospective, that maybe true to a point. But when you look at it technically, performance do not equal absolute efficiency. Performance can be relative to efficiency (get the job done with less resources) or speed (with gives the appearance to efficiency because things are done faster even though its not doing it efficiently)

Where as efficiency in a system that does not have the high speed, doesn't mean it can't perform well. 

MAC's have been traditionally been more efficient due to its OS (a Unix variant) and its architecture over the years even though it has never built itself to be a power house game machine until recent years  where it has been mostly use for artist and in video production. When it comes to video production, efficiency, reliability and performance is key.

MAC like its Apple predecessor where often preferable to PC's back in the day when it comes to learning tools and games. PC suffer from is historical roots from being made for business and never was design out of the box to be a game machine.  Yet over those years, the development industry chose that system because of the mass market appeal to run business apps for work at home and games for fun after hours, not because it was the best built system for games.

Commodore Amiga was the true game machine and was ahead of its time due the architecture with its animation and graphics co processing, its built in sound system, its preemptive multitasking OS, made it much more efficient in producing 3D animated games although it never reach mass market appeal due to cost and other marketing factors.  

Since PC's where its hardware that was in so much demand due to software industry, it had to find the means to give priority to be more efficient in order to stay competitive and therefore the need for speed was one the solution, followed by diversify processes across multi threads, multicores as well as load sharing between CPU and GPU's, where much of the AAA games have reach that plato and where the Flight sim's is now catching up.

But as PC's adds more hardware to its assinal, user have to battle the appetite for those resource that the OS likes to eat up which has always been the case going back to the DOS days. Anyone remembering knows what I am talking about when it comes to, memory limitation using methods to move code like TSR into upper memory location, processes reallocation that's even done today (process lasso) as well and the need for overclocking. That is not the case with MAC's or those who turn to Linux. One of the reason you find that many developers choose MAC's to develop many games or some of most popular software including MS offices suit with new feature, were release on MAC first before they reach Windows, believe it or not.

So it all to depend on what the users or software is needed to the do the job and in this case, this software runs on three OS's and multiple hardware. So it has to be cognizant of the need to use the technology that going to benefit all three to support the needs to its users and not because it just wants to show off.

Edited by BobFS88
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, GoranM said:

Why?  It's not "Farm Simulator"

Beg to differ

yEoMpgO.png

Also

I did a flight sim debrief with my 12 year old niece and a couple of her friends a week or two ago.

"save the animals" was their #1 request. 

I'm taking that request seriously...

AutoATC Developer