Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

[Resolved] P3D v5.4 random lockups driving me mad

Just a note.

Commercal, education and goverment data leaks are a major problem these days, basically it is not a guarantee any online acessable system is safe from being hacked, and should be considered as "when" it is hacked, not "if".

And given just about every app and business, gov, etc. requires an account and details with a variable level of personal data collection, any leakage is a major problem, where the data leak would be used for espionage or identity fraud.

The address link below is useful tool to see if your email address has turned up in any of the reported data leaks.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

@Rogen, 6 instances. I’m not concerned. Some go back over 10 years.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Rogen said:

That's fine but it will be connected to the internet.

Exactly right, Rogen.  My firewall blocks multiple infection attempts like trojans and suspicious connections every week, and I don't visit questionable websites.

If one doesn't have a robust firewall and effective antivirus and anti-malware protecting their machine, then sooner or later the machine will get infected.  It's just a matter of time.

Dave

• Upvote 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

How high is your special effects slider in P3D? After I turned that to low I have not had any lockups nor crashes due to that. That is the only thing I can think of that might fix this.

i7 13700K @ 5.3 ghz / DeepCool AK620 Cooler / MSI Z790 Tomahawk WiFi / 32GB Trident DDR5 RAM @ 7200 mhz / 24GB Gainward 3090 Geforce RTX  / 2 TB SSD WD Black SN850X NVMe / 1 TB SSD Samsung 990 Pro series / 2 TB SSD Samsung 980 Pro Series / 500 gb and 250 gb SSD Samsung Evo 850 / RM1000W Corsair PSU

3 hours ago, Blasb said:

How high is your special effects slider in P3D? After I turned that to low I have not had any lockups nor crashes due to that. That is the only thing I can think of that might fix this.

It's set to the highest setting. They aren't CTDs as such. The sim just freezes. Sometimes it unfreezes, sometimes it doesn't. I'm running full simconnect and FSUIPC logging to try and establish where the problem lies.

But I appreciate the tip. 👍

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just completed EGLL-EGCC with RC4 running. No issues. I'm wary of saying it's fixed but this is three successful flights now. What's changed since my last freeze?

Yesterday I added AS Cloud Art.exe to the exclusion list. Why should that make a difference? Well I never had a lockup when on the ground at either end of a flight. They only occurred when airborne.

I don't know if weather changes when on the ground. If it changes as soon as the aircraft is airborne that would explain one freeze as soon as the wheels left the ground at Schiphol and also when 3 miles out at Heathrow. Plus random freezes during a flight which weren't replicated with a load of a saved flight.

Why should this be a factor when it never was on my old computer? Well I have cloud textures at maximum now with the 4090 whereas with the 1080Ti I had them at more moderate levels. Maybe it's the change of that which has made the difference. I can't think of any other reason for these random freezes. Weather loads are random, freezes were random.

Of course this theory could be blown out of the water on my next flight. But the logic makes sense. What do you think?

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Another successful flight completed. Does anyone have all cloud sliders set to max in ASCA with EA enabled?

I didn’t with my previous computer as the 1080Ti couldn’t cope. Plus I had EA turned off. I’m reluctant to say it’s fixed because it seems such a strange thing that Active Sky could cause such an issue.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Another successful flight completed. Does anyone have all cloud sliders set to max in ASCA with EA enabled?

I didn’t with my previous computer as the 1080Ti couldn’t cope. Plus I had EA turned off. I’m reluctant to say it’s fixed because it seems such a strange thing that Active Sky could cause such an issue.

It's really weird how different systems behave differently, isn't it?  Actually, no it's not.  As I've said before in this thread...no 2 systems LOGICALLY can ever work the same way.  There are hundreds if not thousands of variables in each one of our systems.  

I have the 1080TI in my Jetline computer and I have all display sliders to the right, and Cloud Art sliders to max.  My 1080TI is a phenomenal card for my system, and I love how it functions for my simulations.   EA is always enabled and, now with Defender off for the duration of my flights, I have really NO issues with pauses or crashes in P3d or in MSFS.

Each computer is a distinct (individual) system, and each computer has the fingerprint of its user all over it.

FYI.  Before I retired, I owned a business equipment company for 34 years. I had a staff of many talented I.T. people working for me, and I learned a lot about how small changes in software or in the setup of a computer can affect everything else.  We will all be searching for what makes our simulators work perfectly for us, and this search will be continuous. As we add or delete addons, and make config changes, we will have to solve the issues these changes create. But we will never solve these issues necessarily by doing what someone else does on their individual systems.  It's virtually impossible.

Hi Stan. I’m surprised you can extend the sliders fully right with the 1080Ti. It was a great card in its day but the 4000 series are so much more powerful, but if it works for you that’s all that matters.

On my fifth flight I was 13nm out of KDFW landing on 13R and the sim paused for 2-3 seconds. My heart was in my mouth! 😳 But it was soon over and I landed okay.

It does appear to be resolved but the one thing I can’t resolve is why I had a freeze last week when I’d turned Live Protection off.

Fingers crossed things remain stable.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

9 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

It's set to the highest setting. They aren't CTDs as such. The sim just freezes. Sometimes it unfreezes, sometimes it doesn't. I'm running full simconnect and FSUIPC logging to try and establish where the problem lies.

But I appreciate the tip. 👍

Yeah but I had exactly the same issue and it was driving me mad and then I turned down my special effects to low and the problem went away immediately (the guys at Orbx recommended it as the freezes apparently has something to do with certain coastlines in the game) 🙂! One test flight you can do is ESSA - EFHK. First try with special effects on highest and then try with the special effects on the lowest and see if you notice any difference!

i7 13700K @ 5.3 ghz / DeepCool AK620 Cooler / MSI Z790 Tomahawk WiFi / 32GB Trident DDR5 RAM @ 7200 mhz / 24GB Gainward 3090 Geforce RTX  / 2 TB SSD WD Black SN850X NVMe / 1 TB SSD Samsung 990 Pro series / 2 TB SSD Samsung 980 Pro Series / 500 gb and 250 gb SSD Samsung Evo 850 / RM1000W Corsair PSU

@Blasb, interesting. Just goes to show how complex modern software is and when you combine that with Windows Virus Protection who knows what might happen.

There’s so little daylight around that area I may need to time shift my flight. I’ll try it tomorrow with special effects unchanged on max.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

22 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hi Stan. I’m surprised you can extend the sliders fully right with the 1080Ti. It was a great card in its day but the 4000 series are so much more powerful, but if it works for you that’s all that matters.

On my fifth flight I was 13nm out of KDFW landing on 13R and the sim paused for 2-3 seconds. My heart was in my mouth! 😳 But it was soon over and I landed okay.

It does appear to be resolved but the one thing I can’t resolve is why I had a freeze last week when I’d turned Live Protection off.

Fingers crossed things remain stable.

Ray,

It's true.  I also remember reading a thread on this forum perhaps years ago that the higher settings ACTUALLY worked better for the original poster of the thread than having the sim at lower settings.  I couldn't understand why that would be the case, but I tried it, and it really seemed to work for me, so I've since then always kept my settings quite high.  Here are my settings in P3dv 5.4:

DISPLAY SCREEN

·       FXAA                                 OFF

·       AA                                      2XMSAA

·       TEXTURE FILTERING       ANISTROPIC 16X

·       TEXTURE RESOLUTION  ULTRA 4096X4096

·       RESOLUTION                    3840x2160x32  (my LG 4k IPS monitor's native resolution)

·       TARGET FRAME RATE    UNLIMITED

·       WIDE VIEW ASPECT       checked

·       MIPMAP VC                      checked

WORLD SCREEN

·       LEVEL OF DETAIL             MAX

·       TESSELLATION                 HIGH

·       MESH RESOLUTION        1m

·       TEXTURE RESOLTUION   7cm

·       USE HIGH RESOLUTION TERRAIN TEXTURES        checked

·       SCENERY COMPLEXITY               EXTREMELY DENSE

·       AUTOGEN SCENERY DRAW DISTANCE    HIGH

·       AUTOGEN VEGETATION DENSITY            NORMAL

·       AUTOGEN BLDG. DENSITY           EXTREMELY DENSE

·       WATER DETAIL                               HIGH

·       SPECIAL EFFECTS                         MEDIUM

·       ENHANCED ATMOSPHERICS       checked

·       VOLUMETRIC CLOUDS   OFF

·       GODRAYS                         checked

·       CLOUD DRAW DISTANCE             60 MILES

·       CLOUD COVERAGE DISTANCE    MAXIMUM

·       CLOUD COVERAGE DENSITY       MAXIMUM

Stan

Stan, thanks for that but it’s bad news I’m afraid. 5 miles out from EHAM and it locked for 2-3 minutes before resuming.

Then this afternoon I was 6ft off the landing runway at KPSP when it did it again. I’ve been told where to look for Defender antivirus logs and there’s nothing there for the times of these events. So it’s not related to that.

It might be a hardware issue so a phone call to Chillblast is needed on Monday.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

7 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Stan, thanks for that but it’s bad news I’m afraid. 5 miles out from EHAM and it locked for 2-3 minutes before resuming.

Then this afternoon I was 6ft off the landing runway at KPSP when it did it again. I’ve been told where to look for Defender antivirus logs and there’s nothing there for the times of these events. So it’s not related to that.

It might be a hardware issue so a phone call to Chillblast is needed on Monday.

Ray,

I assume that happens only with the FSLabs Concorde, right?

Have you been able to reproduce it with other sophisticated aircraft, even one of their Airbuses, or a PMDG ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

25 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Ray,

I assume that happens only with the FSLabs Concorde, right?

Have you been able to reproduce it with other sophisticated aircraft, even one of their Airbuses, or a PMDG ?

No, all with PMDG 737 NGXu. I’m going to switch to the XP Lear 25 from now on. If the problems are replicated then it looks like a hardware issue.

I’m not flying Concorde until the problem is resolved.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather