Sign in to follow this  
omarsmak30

Is RTX40xx Frame Generation and DLSS 3.0 worth it for MSFS?

I have found upgrading from a 3080ti to a 4090 worth every penny despite still using my 9900KF CPU.  With vsync and FPS set to my TV refresh rate (60hz) in the NCP and FG enabled I get very smooth 60 FPS performance at 4K even with the most demanding scenery areas (eg inibuilds KJFK Orbx YMML).  Means I can put off a decision on a CPU/MB upgrade until we see what the demands of MSFS2024 are and what the next iteration of CPUs from AMD and Intel have to offer.  Now if, for whatever reason, you don't want to use FG then you there is probably little benefit on a 4000 series GPU upgrade without also getting a current generation CPU/MB although I do think the 24 GB of VRAM that you get with the 4090 helps a lot with smoothness at demanding airports even if FPS are held back by a bottlenecking CPU if FG isn't used.  Now the texture bug you get with FG and DX12 is there but I have got used to it and have had similar artifacts going back over some years in 3rd party scenery with MSFS2020 and P3D/FSX - but yes I would rather it wasnt there.

Bruce

Edited by brucewtb
New info
  • Like 1

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Thanks guys for advices, certainly will get RTX40xx

So now the vram question, I am still puzzled about NVIDIA having only 12gb vram for rtx4070 and the next card with more capacity is RTX4080 with 16gb vram which costs double of rtx4070 (kinda insane from NVIDIA honestly). Any will the 12gb vram be an issue? My settings are mostly between ultra and high 

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

9 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

So now the vram question, I am still puzzled about NVIDIA having only 12gb vram for rtx4070 and the next card with more capacity is RTX4080 with 16gb vram which costs double of rtx4070 (kinda insane from NVIDIA honestly). Any will the 12gb vram be an issue? My settings are mostly between ultra and high 

In a word yes.  For a current GPU purchase 16gb VRAM is the minimum - a waste of money to go with anything less.  Ideally the 24 gb you get with the 4090 but this comes with a very steep asking price.

Bruce

• Upvote 1

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

1 hour ago, brucewtb said:

a waste of money to go with anything less.

Unless you are still at 1080p with your monitor. Then 8-12Gig is more than sufficient.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, omarsmak30 said:

Thanks guys for advices, certainly will get RTX40xx

What do you use for display? If you use a Samsung 4K TV and use the frame interpolation that will double your frame rate too no need for a 4000 series card for that. Also since the extra frame are generated by TV hardware now need to use DX12. You can tune your sim for 30fps and get 60 on screen even tunning for 24fps for 48 on screen works very well.

11 hours ago, regis9 said:

Frame generation doubles my frame rate absolutely worth it.

Hello, with my RTX3080Ti, i cant see FRAME GENERATION on the options. Where can i activate that? thank you!

Edited by abranpuko

11 hours ago, Bob Scott said:

The improved smoothness is nice to have with FG...things like AI jets flying past while you're holding for takeoff look better.

There is a downside, though--you have to use DX12 for FG to work, and there's a nasty bug in MSFS' DX12 implementation that's been around (and apparently unacknowledged by Asobo) for going on a year and a half where the ground textures on add-on scenery are randomly replaced by blurry Bing photo tiles--it's really exacerbated if you change cameras to an outside view.  I've foregone FG because of this...I find DX11 at ~40 fps is a better experience than dealing with the DX12 bug just to gain the relatively small improvement in smoothness from FG.  Now if you're a VR user, that frame rate boost probably makes enough of a difference to make dealing with the tile problem worth the distraction.

For this DX12 bug reason, I don't find FG worth it. 

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

1 minute ago, abranpuko said:

Hello, with my RTX408Ti, i cant see FRAME GENERATION on the options. Where can i activate that? thank you!

You have to enable DX12 then restart MSFS

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

1 minute ago, abranpuko said:

Hello, with my RTX408Ti, i cant see FRAME GENERATION on the options. Where can i activate that? thank you!

Make sure you are on DX12 and have HAGS enabled in Windows Graphics Settings.

1 minute ago, abennett said:

Make sure you are on DX12 and have HAGS enabled in Windows Graphics Settings.

Oh, sorry i wrote 4080Ti, 

i HAVE A 3080Ti!!

13 minutes ago, abranpuko said:

Oh, sorry i wrote 4080Ti, 

i HAVE A 3080Ti!!

Well then you are out of luck. No FG for you.

• Upvote 1

I run at 1440p and have observed max Vram in the range of 12-13Gb

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

If you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks more, you might want to wait and see what Nvidia announces on Jan 8 (see here at 10:54 : https://youtu.be/W5K8GM2fNDM?t=654 ). It seems like they're preparing to launch a Super version of the 4070 and 4080 - unfortunately with the same 12GB / 16GB configuration as their 4070/4080 siblings, but at a lower price point around $999 for the 4080 Super. Price should then drop accordingly for the 4080.

As always with leaks and rumours, take them with a spoonful of salt. I wouldn't give them too much credibility, but unless price is of no concern to you, it can't hurt to wait a few weeks more. 

See full video here:

Edited by pstrub
  • Like 2

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

It's crazy now, the rig I bought in 2021 cost $3.5k with a 3070, and now a similar level purchase with a 4090 would cost 8k. 

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU