Sign in to follow this  
Brocky120

MSFS Adaptive LOD

1 hour ago, Reset XPDR said:

I have now matured the LOD Step Max functionality to a point where I am happy to put it out as a release version 0.3.5, which you can download here.

Changes in my version 0.3.5 made since Fragtality's 0.3.2 release are summarised as follows:

• LOD Step Max, when checked, will allow you to set a maximum change per second for LOD increases and decreases that can be set individually. Low values will minimise LOD changes that the MSFS rendering engine processes, and hence should improve smoothness transitioning between LOD levels. There is also an automated lead predictor for LOD changes based on your average climb/descent rate and LOD Step Max values whereby it will commence changing LOD as early as required to achieve the desired LOD very close to the next AGL threshold. This effectively removes the time delay in achieving new LOD values when low LOD Step Max values are used. When unchecked, LOD changes will change as abruptly as the LOD steps you make between LOD table settings, per original 0.3.2 functionality.
  • Cruise LOD Updates, when checked, will continue to update LODs in cruise but only if your AGL changes enough to put you at a new LOD table value and even then only if you cross it by a +- 5% null zone. This generally only activates when cruising at MSA over varying terrain and mostly lays dormant otherwise. Again, unchecked you will get original 0.3.2 functionality.
  • PC and VR LODs are changed at the same time, meaning it is not necessary to select whether a profile is PC or VR as LODs will change whether you are in PC or VR mode. As a result, the VR checkbox has been removed and an additional 3 profiles have been added, totaling 6, to give you more choice for the type of flying you do.
  • There are also a few fixes to fix minor issues I came across while digging through the code and testing and some small UI changes to accommodate the changed and removed features. 

Screenshots of 0.3.5's UI, firstly with LOD Step Max disabled (default):

spacer.png

And with it enabled:

spacer.png

I hope you find the enhancements I have made useful. If not, with the exception of the setting of both PC and VR LODs together, they can all be turned off and are off by default anyway, so at the very least you'll get the bug fixes.

Just tried using much older/slower machine, your presets as shown, lots of weather, and it was a stutterfest. Lot of long pauses.

Edited by Flyfaster_MTN002

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

Reset XPDR,

Also wanted to say thank you for all your dedication to making this the best mod possible.

Amazing progress!  Will give it a try tomorrow.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

Just tried using much older/slower machine, your presets as shown, lots of weather, and it was a stutterfest. Lot of long pauses.

If you mean that you were using my LOD table settings, then of course high LODs will choke an old system. I suggest you use more moderate settings, commensurate with what you would use, on the ground in particular, without this mod.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

I take it this is a fork of Fragtality 's DynamicLOD repo?  Is the source available somewhere for this 3.5 ver?  If it is including Fragality's software I think you are supposed to provide his/her copyright and MIT License with your mod, even if you are claiming some other copyright for your derivative work.

scott s.

2 hours ago, scott967 said:

I take it this is a fork of Fragtality 's DynamicLOD repo? 

Yes.

Is the source available somewhere for this 3.5 ver?

Not yet. I was hoping I could feed my changes back into Fragtality's development line but he has not been keen. I may one day create a fork and put my changes up on github if this continues to be the case. I just have to work out how.

If it is including Fragality's software I think you are supposed to provide his/her copyright and MIT License with your mod, even if you are claiming some other copyright for your derivative work.

The MIT license on Fragtality's github is a template only (year and fullname is blank). In any case, the license and copyright info for Fragtality's version does not get installed either I'm pretty sure as I used the same installer code and mine doesn't put it there either. If/when I I put my code up on github, I will of course acknowledge Fragtality and muumimorko for their previous efforts and include an updated MIT license and copyright notice.

Edited by Reset XPDR
  • Like 2

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Great work Reset XPDR, it is much appreciated 👍

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

9 minutes ago, iliasr said:

can update running the .exe 0.35 over the 0.32 v or ?..

Sure can.

• Like 1

Reset XPDR

Version 0.35 works very well, everything switches smoothly. Can you add to your mod, changing the cloud quality by 1 level lower when fps drops?

Try Reset XPDR’s settings above, but max out your TLOD in the 100-150 range.

That should help both your FPS and over all smoothness, as you’re never exceeding 100/100 on LOD.

If your system can handle 100/100 without the mod, this will make it an even better experience.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Reset XPDR said:

If you mean that you were using my LOD table settings, then of course high LODs will choke an old system. I suggest you use more moderate settings, commensurate with what you would use, on the ground in particular, without this mod.

I just tried your latest release with the default settings..  There is no checkbox next to StepMax which is set to 5/5, but I do not get gradual changes, but rather step changes 100/150/200 when in climb..

Edit... somehow I got the 0.3.5. test version... Have now updated one more time, and the UI has indeed changed..

yWT3MG1.jpg

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

9 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I just tried your latest release with the default settings..  There is no checkbox next to StepMax which is set to 5/5, but I do not get gradual changes, but rather step changes 100/150/200 when in climb..

yWT3MG1.jpg

Hey Bert,

Looks like you have the earlier test version. There is a release version in the post a little further down from where you got that one.

Edited by Barnes
  • Like 1

David Webster

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz | EVGA RTX 3080 Ti @ 3440X1440 | Crucial 2TB M.2 | Win11

3 hours ago, caneman said:

Try Reset XPDR’s settings above, but max out your TLOD in the 100-150 range.

That should help both your FPS and over all smoothness, as you’re never exceeding 100/100 on LOD.

If your system can handle 100/100 without the mod, this will make it an even better experience.

Thanks for the baseline.... "handle" is a subjective thing here 🙂

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

3 hours ago, caneman said:

If your system can handle 100/100 without the mod, this will make it an even better experience

My system was set to 150/100 before... The "default settings" for the mod seem to work just fine... However, I am not seeing any real difference with TLOD 200 vs 100.. maybe in the far distance... So I wonder why bother?

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert