Sign in to follow this  
andy1252

Captain Sim sale

I know they're not everyone's favourite vendor, but CS are having a 24 hr sale today (22nd). Everything 9.99 til midnight zulu time

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

Yay!  A 24 hour sale?  Maybe they can do us all a favour buy selling the company back to someone who can do a virtual cockpit rather than just a rehashed shell from FSX.

Captain Sim used to be great.  I absolutely loved their B707 and B737-200.  How on earth did they end up in this state?  I would really love a good B707 / 727 / 737 for the sim.

(Note: This is not aimed at you Andy - some people actually buy this xxxx)

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I am one of those who bought this "xxxx" and for £8.25 this was xxxx good value for my tiny amount of money.

4.jpg

Now you can tell me that this is just a copy of a default VC, if you can :dry:

Edited by Reader

21 minutes ago, Reader said:

I am one of those who bought this "xxxx" and for £8.75 this was xxxx good value for my tiny amount of money.

4.jpg

Admittedly, that is their latest release, and one of the better ones (they seem to have responded to some criticism), but you have to admit, the earlier MSFS releases were pants.
And then there was the liveries takedown fiasco from flightsim.to claiming copyright as they want to exclusively sell repaints.  Not the best way to endear yourself to the community when freeware repaints are fine for all other developers.

Where is that VC from by the way?  At least the cabin looks like it is modelled reasonably well with the windows etc., but is the panel a mix and match from somewhere else?

Edited by bobcat999

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Boeing 717. Apparently, as ever, "Some systems linked to default systems".
If you look at a picture of a real cockpit, then there are no differences in the artwork,
it could not be anything else.
The gauges are not identical but they look near enough the same to me and after all, it's a simulator.

A real one:

z0sdq8jo2t241.jpg?width=1080&crop=smart&

For me, as no rivet counter, it looks more than good enough and the exterior, which even
the harshest critics will admit are very good, is up to their usual standard.
All for $9.99.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Reader said:

I am one of those who bought this "xxxx" and for £8.75 this was xxxx good value for my tiny amount of money.

4.jpg

If that's the 717, it's not a default VC, and in fact it's a rather nice VC.

However it's the entirely default A320 systems in it where the problems begin.

• Like 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A

7 minutes ago, JYW said:

However it's the entirely default A320 systems in it where the problems begin.

Indeed, but for those of us who are not experts in the field, the instruments appear to look near enough the same
and do near enough the same.
I was pointing out that there is value in these for those who are not as deeply knowledgeable in the field of aircraft
electronics as others clearly are and that they are not all "xxxx" for everyone.
There are two sides to every coin and neither side is better, or worse, than the other, just different.

On the other hand, I never did understand why CS would release an empty shell of a Hercules.

Edited by Reader

2 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

(Note: This is not aimed at you Andy - some people actually buy this xxxx)

No worries Rob, I wouldn't take it personally even if it was.

I do grab their stuff myself when it's on offer. I'm only interested in the visuals and couldn't care less about the accuracy or otherwise of the cockpits and flight models. For a ten dollar sale price they're an ok deal, and there are plenty of free liveries on .to so no need to waste money on those at all.

A completely cockpit-free C130 is a step too far even for me though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

34 minutes ago, Reader said:

I was pointing out that there is value in these for those who are not as deeply knowledgeable in the field of aircraft electronics as others clearly are and that they are not all "xxxx" for everyone.

Sure.  To be fair I forgot about their latest B717.  I was talking about their previous efforts - the empty shells they sell with a default cockpit added on, so you don't have to keep adding the "xxxx" thing on for the sake of the B717.  :laugh:

Confused by their site though.  It says Livery pack 1 is less than a dollar a paint scheme, then has just six up for $9.99.  Maybe just an oversight,

I actually like my 717 purchase from CS. The cockpit visuals are good and the plane flies decent. 

It scratches the itch while we wait forever for the TFDi version...

DnAmqzQ.png

pSHPRtk.png

cJOOFZp.png

NIgk0xY.png

giLPdep.png

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

3 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Confused by their site though.  It says Livery pack 1 is less than a dollar a paint scheme, then has just six up for $9.99.  Maybe just an oversight,

I think it's their sense of humour.
"Just for 24 hours everything is 9.99".
It doesn't ever say that some stuff is less than that for the other 8736 hours. :smile:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Reader said:

I think it's their sense of humour.
"Just for 24 hours everything is 9.99".
It doesn't ever say that some stuff is less than that for the other 8736 hours. :smile:

Ah!  Yes.  I just saw an old screenshot and the livery pack was on sale for about half of that - cheeky gits!  :laugh:

• Upvote 1

@blueshark747  Where did you get that Hawaiian livery from?  That has always been one of my favourites.

4 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

@blueshark747  Where did you get that Hawaiian livery from?  That has always been one of my favourites.

You get both 2001 and 2017 versions for free🍺

https://flightsim.to/file/61722/hawaiian-2001-colors-cs-717

https://flightsim.to/file/62394/hawaiian-2017-colors-cs-717

• Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

Admittedly, that is their latest release, and one of the better ones (they seem to have responded to some criticism), but you have to admit, the earlier MSFS releases were pants.
And then there was the liveries takedown fiasco from flightsim.to claiming copyright as they want to exclusively sell repaints.  Not the best way to endear yourself to the community when freeware repaints are fine for all other developers.

Where is that VC from by the way?  At least the cabin looks like it is modelled reasonably well with the windows etc., but is the panel a mix and match from somewhere else?

Also remember when they tried to sell a Star Wars TIE Fighter?

1 hour ago, JYW said:

If that's the 717, it's not a default VC, and in fact it's a rather nice VC.

AFAIK none of the Captain Sim aircraft have reused any of the default cockpits, just the avionics.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1