Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

So... which GTN ?

Just like with my other post regarding the best option for a Boeing 787, I would get your opinions on which is the best Garmin GTN option, and also aircraft where you can readily install it, like the A2A Comanche.

I values the closest to the real model.

I used the ELITE IFT v9 version during beta testing for ELITE v9, and it uses the real Garmin sim, and a modified version of FSUIPC for the link between ELITE v9 and the Garmin sim, and it's database updates cost a little fortune 😕 so all I have is the original database, rather outdated :-/, but I guess the available MFS GTNs can get their navdata from the same sources that are updatable for instance through the Navigraph service (?)

THANK YOU!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

52 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Just like with my other post regarding the best option for a Boeing 787, I would get your opinions on which is the best Garmin GTN option, and also aircraft where you can readily install it, like the A2A Comanche.

I used the ELITE IFT v9 version during beta testing for ELITE v9, and it uses the real Garmin sim, and a modified version of FSUIPC for the link between ELITE v9 and the Garmin sim, and it's database updates cost a little fortune 😕 so all I have is the original database, rather outdated :-/, but I guess the available MFS GTNs can get their navdata from the same sources that are updatable for instance through the Navigraph service (?)

THANK YOU!

The most accurate is the TDS GTN 750 but the database is always out of date and can't be updated with Navigraph. I use the PMS GTN 750. It fits in any aircraft I have including the Comanche and I always have an updated database thanks to Navigraph.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

9 minutes ago, Jazz said:

The most accurate is the TDS GTN 750 but the database is always out of date and can't be updated with Navigraph. I use the PMS GTN 750. It fits in any aircraft I have including the Comanche and I always have an updated database thanks to Navigraph.

Thak you for your answer and, so, the TDS version uses the Garmin sim database, I guess?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Also take note that the PMS50 models a GTN 750, while the TDS models the newer GTN 750Xi.

• Like 2

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

38 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Gracias por tu respuesta y, entonces, la versión TDS usa la base de datos SIM de Garmin, ¿supongo?

Yes ,Garmin traiiner database 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Thak you for your answer and, so, the TDS version uses the Garmin sim database, I guess?

Yes TDS using latest garmin trainer. In addition TDS is the newer GTNxi where PMS is somewhat close to the older GTN. It's quite a religious question which one to choose. Want it as close to real as possible then its the TDS and you have to live with the more limited and older garmin database. Are you ok with a close to real rendition and prefer a better sim integration using the sim database (or navigraph updated) then you go PMS.

PMS you have to stay always updated on latest version as its known to have impact on other addons even not using PMS and notoriously breaking things. TDS is more relaxed in this terms. Ah and the pricing model on the PMS is quite weird for what you get in comparison to TDS.

In the end both are valid solutions...

Cheers T.

• Like 1

I believe TDS is probably a good choice for me... I just hope the database we get is at least more recent than the one in the ELITE version ...

Do you know from which year it is?

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

3 minutes ago, jcomm said:

I believe TDS is probably a good choice for me... I just hope the database we get is at least more recent than the one in the ELITE version ...

Do you know from which year it is?

The dataset is whatever comes with the Garmin trainer unless you have a real world unit and can install the databases for that

I think the current dataset is from Dec 2022 but there may well be an update due shortly

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jcomm said:

The PMS isn’t a GTN, it’s a unit that looks like a GTN and is a catchall for every feature people suggested to the developer. It’s also ridiculously expensive for what it is. At $75 I am not aware of an MSFS addon that costs more. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, IslandSimPilot said:

The PMS isn’t a GTN, it’s a unit that looks like a GTN and is a catchall for every feature people suggested to the developer. It’s also ridiculously expensive for what it is. At $75 I am not aware of an MSFS addon that costs more. 

Or it's free if you don't want to pay for it.

And this catchall feature suggestion I see some present it as is a nonsense. Care to list every feature in there that shouldn't be? I'd like to know what they all are to be honest.

• Like 1

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

If you want something that is always up to date, get the PMS GTN

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

55 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Or it's free if you don't want to pay for it.

And this catchall feature suggestion I see some present it as is a nonsense. Care to list every feature in there that shouldn't be? I'd like to know what they all are to be honest.

I have a GTN650 in my real-life Piper Cherokee and have several hundred IFR hour using it. The number of imaginary features in the PMS unit are many, starting with the 3-axis autopilot. I mean give me a break. I gave up on paying any attention to it when he just started adding random things to it two years ago.

• Like 2

Here's the thing: the SIM'S navdata is updated fairly regularly.  This means that on every update, a slew of additional radio navaids gets decommissioned / deleted from the sim.  Many small airports that used instrument approaches relying on those navaids therefore end up getting new RNAV procedures, to replace the lost procedures based on VOR or NDB (pretty rare these days).  

But, if you're flying the sim with a GPS database that's a year out of date, you don't have those new RNAV procedures.  You HAVE, however, lost the radio navaids from your sim.  So, you're kind of out of luck if you're trying to get into one of these airports IFR.

The PMS is the easy choice, because of this.  The few extra features that have been added by the dev are certainly not a negative; they're there to fill in the capability of a few basic tools that a real-world pilot would have available in Foreflight or other tools.  It's silly to act as though these things are bothersome; they're certainly easy enough to not use if you don't want to.  🤷‍♂️

Edited by Stearmandriver
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Andrew Crowley

2 minutes ago, IslandSimPilot said:

I have a GTN650 in my real-life Piper Cherokee and have several hundred IFR hour using it. The number of imaginary features in the PMS unit are many, starting with the 3-axis autopilot. I mean give me a break. I gave up on paying any attention to it when he just started adding random things to it two years ago.

I actually think that is a good non-feature to add for some users and aircraft. Best thing about it is that you can easily pretend it isn't there. I had forgotten about it until you brought it up.

What others? I'm genuinely word not allowed and wish to know.

I use the PMS GTN as an updated nav database is a must for me. It integrates with the sim nicely and can display the most up-to-date Navigraph charts and weather. I have run into a few problems during GPS approaches where It didn't intercept the glide path, but that could be an issue with the aircraft itself.   

• Like 1