Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

So... which GTN ?

4 hours ago, St Mawgan said:

TDS. Best piece of flight sim related software I think I ever bought. Had the PMS freeware for 6 months or so before going for TDS. 

Not really close. Freeware vs payware?

The TDS version is excellent but you can't compare its only version (payware) vs the two different versions for the PMS version....

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Dukes, Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

4 hours ago, Sonosusto said:

Not really close. Freeware vs payware?

The TDS version is excellent but you can't compare its only version (payware) vs the two different versions for the PMS version....

I'm not comparing the two. My only experience of the PMS version is the free one. When it came to deciding which one to spend money on, I chose TDS. 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

Thank you for your precious comments.

I am seriously considering the TDS version. My only problem / fear is having to install a different version of the Garmin Simulator which can be incompatible with my ELITE v9 install that requires a very specific version of the simulator to be installed in order to go with it's Flight1 GNS / GTN instruments...  Will investigate...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Uninstaller since July 2012 when MS canceled MS FLIGHT... (will never thrust them for flightims again...)

If you are a common flightsimmer go for PMS, if you are a reality purist and only fly in US go for TDS, simple as that.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

Thank you for your precious comments.

I am seriously considering the TDS version. My only problem / fear is having to install a different version of the Garmin Simulator which can be incompatible with my ELITE v9 install that requires a very specific version of the simulator to be installed in order to go with it's Flight1 GNS / GTN instruments...  Will investigate...

Hello,

To assist you in this decision, we recommend that you contact us via Discord/Support email/Other media channels prior to purchase, so we can walk you through installing the prerequisite and confirming correct functionality.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2023 at 10:17 AM, jcomm said:

I would get your opinions on which is the best Garmin GTN option

There is no such thing as the "best Garmin GTN option." There is only the best option relative to your needs and expectations

I've owned every single piece of avionics that RealityXP ever made, I also owned the Flight1 version of the GTN.

Still, I went for the one-year subscription for the PMS.

Why? One simple answer: smooth integration of Navigraph charts. 

Boohoo, there I said it. 

Oh, no, who's that at my door? It's the Avsim-realpilots-realism-SWAT team coming to get me!!!!!!!!😬

Edited by Ricardo41
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, Ixoye said:

If you are a common flightsimmer go for PMS, if you are a reality purist and only fly in US go for TDS, simple as that.

The TDS has worldwide procedures but only US charts. You can use it anywhere you fly. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

There is no such thing as the "best Garmin GTN option." There is only the best option relative to your needs and expectations

I've owned every single piece of avionics that RealityXP ever made, I also owned the Flight1 version of the GTN.

Still, I went for the one-year subscription for the PMS.

Why? One simple answer: smooth integration of Navigraph charts. 

Boohoo, there I said it. 

Oh, no, who's that at my door? It's the Avsim-realpilots-realism-SWAT team coming to get me!!!!!!!!😬

Why do people insist on these strawman arguments? The original poster said he values the most realistic unit. There is one option as far as that goes, the TDS. End of story. I just don’t understand why people have such an issue with that that they spend 4 pages trying to twist the argument around to make themselves superior. It’s bizarre frankly. 

27 minutes ago, mryan75 said:

I just don’t understand why people have such an issue with that that they spend 4 pages trying to twist the argument around to make themselves superior. It’s bizarre frankly. 

I don't think anyone has tried to twist anything and I don't think anyone has a problem with it or has argued with it. I was the first person to reply in this thread and made clear which is the most accurate. Given that the thread is titled 'Which GTN' it would be handy, not just for the OP but for any future viewers of it, to have all pros and cons of both which brings me to my next point.

What I find bizarre is making statements such as:

"it’s a unit that looks like a GTN and is a catchall for every feature people suggested to the developer."

And then when asked to list these features for people like me that do not know what they are you instead proceded to behave evasively and refused to share. I'm still none the wiser as to what these features are and so will any future reader be. If anyone else would care to clue me in on what they are I would be grateful.

Or is that just someone twisting and argument to make themselves look superior? I'll be honest, I didn't even know there was an argument going on in this thread until now. But there we are.

Edited by Jazz

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Right now, in MSFS I'm still using the TDS implementation of the GTN750Xi, with the WT GNS530 as a backup if I need a GPS with current navdata.  And of course any acft with the WT G1000/3000/5000 is already using the current data built into the sim database and updated via Navigraph.

I download the full FAA D-TPP approach plate database every cycle, and I save them, so when the Garmin trainer updates to an AIRAC that's already a few cycles back, I always have a full set of the (US) approach plates on-hand that match that older AIRAC cycle.  It's a 90% solution, but the fact that my flight planning software and the MSFS navaid/fix database are based on current data (via Navigraph) which seems to be evolving faster and faster is a growing potential limitation when using a trainer database that's over a year out-of-date.

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

2 hours ago, Jazz said:

I don't think anyone has tried to twist anything and I don't think anyone has a problem with it or has argued with it. I was the first person to reply in this thread and made clear which is the most accurate. Given that the thread is titled 'Which GTN' it would be handy, not just for the OP but for any future viewers of it, to have all pros and cons of both which brings me to my next point.

What I find bizarre is making statements such as:

"it’s a unit that looks like a GTN and is a catchall for every feature people suggested to the developer."

And then when asked to list these features for people like me that do not know what they are you instead proceded to behave evasively and refused to share. I'm still none the wiser as to what these features are and so will any future reader be. If anyone else would care to clue me in on what they are I would be grateful.

Or is that just someone twisting and argument to make themselves look superior? I'll be honest, I didn't even know there was an argument going on in this thread until now. But there we are.

Boy you just won't let this go, will you. He asked a specific question, he got a specific answer. Beyond that is this just bizarre obsession of a few people to just argue things not relevant to the original question. It's bizarre.

4 minutes ago, mryan75 said:

Boy you just won't let this go, will you. He asked a specific question, he got a specific answer. Beyond that is this just bizarre obsession of a few people to just argue things not relevant to the original question. It's bizarre.

🤨

Still won't tell me. Is there a secret handshake or something? Or is it just some sort of axe grinding? I've asked you a specifc question and had everything but an answer.

Honestly not sure what to think anymore.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

3 minutes ago, Jazz said:

🤨

Still won't tell me. Is there a secret handshake or something? Or is it just some sort of axe grinding? I've asked you a specifc question and had everything but an answer.

Honestly not sure what to think anymore.

Blocked.

Just now, mryan75 said:

Blocked.

Well there's a surprise. F1 driver levels of chicanery.

Just now, mryan75 said:

Blocked.

Since I’m also considering one of these units, apart from the 3 axis autopilot, what other imaginary features does the PMS have?