Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

AI Traffic Addons

I'm looking for some advice on AI Traffic addons for X-Plane 12 from people who have used or own them.

I had a look on X-Plane.org and there seem to be 3 options, X-Life, Traffic-Global and WorldTraffic 3. TrafficGlobal is incredibly expensive, and WorldTraffic3 looks like development has stopped on it.

I'm looking for something that will run on Mac OS M2 and Windows (they all seem to have Mac versions), but TrafficGlobal makes you buy it twice if you want it on Windows as well. In addition, I have some questions:

1) Do these programs expect you to manually create routes/AI, or can it just work by itself in the background without needing to set anything up before each flight? I used to have a product like this for FSX years ago that just worked magically in the background and spawned in the correct planes, etc.

2) Do they work with the default ATC? (i.e. Does the default ATC talk to the generated traffic). I know the default ATC is pretty bad, but hopefully I can actually hear the AI traffic being directed.

3) Do they add general aviation traffic to non-towered airports? This one is important to me, I'd love to see GA and VFR traffic being spawned as well.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

Tony,

I am using some AI addon which is free, I forgot what it's called.  though not sure if you can make it work in a Mac, give it a try

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I have live traffic (freeware not in your list) and WT3. 

1) No need to setup routes manually, WT3 expects you to state departure and arrival airports and that's all. 

2) No interaction with default ATC

3) WT3 has an option to add GA traffic

All in all a subpar experience. Plenty of glitches with planes stuck in the air or doing crazy things and since they don't interact with default ATC it quickly becomes very frustrating

By the way, WT3 development is still ongoing, just very slowly like most things in the xplane world 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Humpty said:

I am using some AI addon which is free, I forgot what it's called.  though not sure if you can make it work in a Mac, give it a try

I presume you mean this one: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/49749-livetraffic/ as Peroni posted. It has a Mac version, and it's free so worth a shot just to test the waters.

Yes that's the one, do try it.  

Tried wt3, Traffic injection looks ok, ATC is very limited...

Would love to have FSHUD in XP... I use it and really like it, in both p3d and MFS 2020.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

... I've tried them all and for offline flying I've stuck with LiveTraffic (for performance and variability reasons - and monthly single licence RealTraffic as source) in combination with good old RC4 and RC2Xplane.
Of course with several restrictions (aircraft movements are sometimes strange - but of course that's the understandable limitation)
ATC interaction is not (yet?) specified by X-Plane for / at least with external tools (unfortunately, of course, this refers to tools like RC4)

With WT3 there is an option to "hand over" the "TCAS" so at least the tools like Pilot2ATC see it and you are also warned about it - but there is no control (not tried with default atc, but it will be the same), except of course default AI Traffic - at least for airliners there are already new paint schemes for download, at least they can vary a little

The flight plans are already pre-generated, but you should specify the departure location and destination to ensure traffic (WT3), I no longer use GlobalTraffic, I think it was just the destination airport.

LiveTraffic runs without flight plans, when I start RealTraffic (also works before starting X-Plane) it depends on what data RealTraffic is currently receiving (but it works quite well)!

There are also LiveTraffic various options such as "remove aircraft from the vicinity etc." so that they don't drive through your "coffee" 🙂 !

With WT3 and WorldTraffic you have to work a bit with the installation. GlobalTraffic is a package, but the flight plans and liveries are a bit outdated - but as I always do, thanks to very nice people, there is an update there too, just of course search for GlobalTraffic liveries.

BUT if everything works properly, with autoortho, LiveTraffic (if they are not doing crazy things) and various tools and often very good looking and sophisticated X-Plane weather it is immersive, especially if you know that in real life this aircraft is also taking off and especially the variation of the aircraft is often immense. GA is also included but of course limited, occasionally you also see helicopters (depending on TCAS) - but for small airports a combination with WT3 might be necessary ! 

cheers !

Edited by AUA425
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

8 hours ago, Humpty said:

Tony,

If your talking of Dazzy traffic pack, its simply some old ai planes updated to 12, nothing special.

30 minutes ago, mjrhealth said:

Your good at advertising, sure your business isnt marketing.

vast majority of this stuff is still free atm, Ill invest in some marketing when there is some chance of a return.

Until then I'm just taking feedback on what works and what doesn't. 

that video worked better than most

DNAUYyG.jpg

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

9 hours ago, mjrhealth said:

If your talking of Dazzy traffic pack, its simply some old ai planes updated to 12, nothing special.

Nop, used that traffic pack, but I meant livetraffic.

Well it seems the LiveTraffic is a bust for forseeable future. Not an issue with the plugin (used to work like a charm and very impressive) it is the providers of the data that have gone and broken, Open Sky and Rapid API both. OpenSky just does not work anymore and same for RAPIDAPI (even with a deluxe subscription - just will not recognise the API key anymore so cancelled my subscription). 

So removed them and it looks like for a while no AI Traffic for me. Wait and see if other packages become available or something happens with OpenSky and Rapid API. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

My RapidAPI key still seems to work just fine for LiveTraffic.

Edited by Bjoern

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days