Sign in to follow this  
Boeing_Driver

Upgrade to 4K?

What video card do you have?

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Posted (edited)

IMHO, not likely to deliver the goods. It's not powerful enough nor does it have enough vram for 4K. 

You can get a sense of the performance you might see if you set the graphics render scaling to 200.

Edited by odourboy

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Boeing_Driver said:

Can you be more specific?

I think what Sky_Pilot071 means is with the card you currently own, 1440p (2K) is the maximum you should use for the GPU you have.  your card is not powerful enough to run 4K.  You need at least 6800 or 6900 or the 7 series radeon or Nvidia 3070 or up or 4070 or up cards

Edited by avistudent
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, avistudent said:

I think what Sky_Pilot071 means is with the card you currently own, 1440p (2K) is the maximum you should use for the GPU you have.  your card is not powerful enough to run 4K.  You need at least 6800 or 6900 or the 7 series radeon or Nvidia 3070 or up or 4070 or up cards

Gotcha--thanks

There's hope that in about 6 months FS2024 will make 4K within the grasp of modest hardware.

• Like 3

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

When moving from 2K to 4K, I noticed a 25% drop in FPS with the same hardware. This may not apply to top-end graphics cards.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Fielder said:

There's hope that in about 6 months FS2024 will make 4K within the grasp of modest hardware.

I always wonder why people continue to ask for this. It is a top modern flight simulator and we all also want eye candy. As such, I do absolutely NOT hope that MSFS2024 will run easily in 4K on modest hardware, because this would potentially mean a significant graphics downgrade. 

There is nothing like free apples. Either we want eye candy with a state of the art graphics engine for 2024 or we do want something running on modest hardware in 4K. Both is not possible... oh, wait. It actually IS, there is something called sliders and settings inside MSFS, almost forgot. With those, you might be able to run it on 4K already now on modest hardware. Of course not, if all you know is turning everything on ultra...

• Like 3

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

We all agree that Jorg Neumann has not been lying. Therefore it remains that either he is badly mistaken, or ms2024 will improve performance without any graphics downgrading on every current person's hardware, modest or exalted, which that person is now using for ms2020.

He says that this is because the hardware in the cloud will do a very significant portion of all the necessary processing. And these computers in the cloud presumably will be capable far beyond just about everyone's personal PC desktop.

• Like 4

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

8 minutes ago, Fielder said:

We all agree that Jorg Neumann has not been lying. Therefore it remains that either he is badly mistaken, or ms2024 will improve performance without any graphics downgrading on every current person's hardware, modest or exalted, which that person is now using for ms2020.

He says that this is because the hardware in the cloud will do a very significant portion of all the necessary processing. And these computers in the cloud presumably will be capable far beyond just about everyone's personal PC desktop.

Thats very Interesting, I've not been following the 2024 story, is there a link I can read

about this?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, AnkH said:

I always wonder why people continue to ask for this. It is a top modern flight simulator and we all also want eye candy. As such,
oh, wait. It actually IS, there is something called sliders and settings inside MSFS, almost forgot. With those, you might be able to run it on 4K already now on modest hardware. Of course not, if all you know is turning everything on ultra...

All I can do is completely disagree with your statement >

"I do absolutely NOT hope that MSFS2024 will run easily in 4K on modest hardware, because this would potentially mean a significant graphics downgrade. 
Either we want eye candy with a state of the art graphics engine for 2024 or we do want something running on modest hardware in 4K. Both is not possible
..."

I really don't understand where you are coming from with that statement; it's not true with the way Asobo intend to go about it.  
As we know, MSFS tends to be main thread limited (mine is, even on a 13900k), and even at 4k my graphics card is only at 50%.  So it is CPU utilisation they are looking at.

In MSFS2024, Asobo have said they have implemented better multi-treading, and in some cases have seen up to a 400% improvement in performance in some areas, even with their new fancy graphics.
They also have other optimisations and have re-written or changed some of the graphics engine. 

A lot of other titles allow for 4k at high graphics settings with modest hardware, while holding a good fps.  MSFS just needs to catch up. 
Other than the multi-threading improvements, finishing and optimising DX12 would help, rather than the half-baked un-optimised simple conversion we have at the moment. 
Apparently, all we have at the moment is DX11 in a DX12 wrapper with no real or noticeable graphics or performance improvements, as we can see.  There has been no real DX12 optimisation.
Similar simulation titles like Train Sim benefitted from a 40% performance increase when converting over properly to DX12.

So we need to wait and see what they have come up with, but their posturing at the moment is that MSFS2024 will have much better graphics (as seen in the teaser video), AND better performance than MSFS2020.

So, if they do it right, you can have your cake and eat it!  :smile:

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 5

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.