Sign in to follow this  
Boeing_Driver

Upgrade to 4K?

1 hour ago, Fielder said:

He says that this is because the hardware in the cloud will do a very significant portion of all the necessary processing. And these computers in the cloud presumably will be capable far beyond just about everyone's personal PC desktop.

I don't remember Jorg or Seb saying anything about this for MSFS 2024. If you have a direct link, I would like to read it.

What I do recall Jorg and Seb saying is that they would make the MSFS client thinner. Right now, MSFS occupies at least over 100 GB on your hard drive, and it keeps growing because of the scenery. What I recall Jorg and Seb saying is that more of the scenery would be stored on the cloud and streamed to your computer, to make the MSFS client thinner.

However, there will still be a lot of processing and graphics rendering on your computer, even with a thinner client. My guess is, the hardware requirements for MSFS 2024 will increase over MSFS 2020. Probably a minimum of 16 GB of RAM, and probably an increase in the CPU and GPU required for MSFS 2024. But the storage space of MSFS 2024 may not rise as much if they are trying the thin client model.

• Upvote 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

2 hours ago, Fielder said:

We all agree that Jorg Neumann has not been lying. Therefore it remains that either he is badly mistaken, or ms2024 will improve performance without any graphics downgrading on every current person's hardware, modest or exalted, which that person is now using for ms2020.

He says that this is because the hardware in the cloud will do a very significant portion of all the necessary processing. And these computers in the cloud presumably will be capable far beyond just about everyone's personal PC desktop.

That's why I intend sticking with my 5800X3D and RTX3080 at 1440 rez for the time being.  Not to mention the ridiculous cost of a new CPU, GPU, MOBO and system RAM if I want to make any worthwhile upgrade 

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

This is alarming considering how many connection errors i get now. 

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Yep, less GB of stuff on your hardrive with FS2024 compared to FS2020. And less things for your cpu to be doing while the sim is running. As time went by FS was approaching the point that it can only grow the user base by a significant amount if they can reduce the required hardware. If they can, then the sky is the limit for MSFS sales.  If they can't then MSFS growth is basically stuck to a snails pace.

Not like the decades past when hardware requirements were growing with every game or sim title over time. But salvation for the disadvantage masses is coming in the clouds. Look up and rejoice. It draweth nigh!

I'm exaggerating above, but what is true is that MS is out in front of the pack in this cloud computing and AI stuff. I kind of feel sorry for meta, google, Amazon. Amazon announced that their Prime videos starting sometime this month will all have adds. Google is being forced to circumvent add blockers and they keep raising subscription fees.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

their posturing at the moment is that MSFS2024 will have much better graphics (as seen in the teaser video), AND better performance than MSFS2020.

With the same hardware?, that's what you are implying but is it what was actually said?

Genuine question as I dont follow twitch streaming or whatever it is where these comments gets released

On 1/4/2024 at 4:46 AM, abrams_tank said:

What I do recall Jorg and Seb saying is that they would make the MSFS client thinner

They also said performance would be markedly improved and at least some of that from better multithreading, which seems like a more CPU-related area to address.  And that's great because everyone has the potential to have the CPU be the primary limiter.  And 4K only makes that harder on the CPU as well as GPU, and don't forget the VRAM needs for 4K over 1440p.  I'm still not convinced 4K is really worth the performance cost as a blanket statement because so much depends on pixel density, screen size, viewing distance, and personal visual acuity, etc.  And don't forget the native textures!  This is hardly ever discussed but I think it must be playing a huge role.   Some native textures might be at 4K or better, and some less.  You don't get any benefit from viewing this native photo at 4K or even 1080P:

spacer.png

Oh I'm sure given the right pixel density, screen size, yada yada it can be quite a bit better.  I do know my 1440p screen at 4x DSR factors seems as sharp as my vision can perceive.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

25 minutes ago, Noel said:

You don't get any benefit from viewing this native photo at 4K or even 1080P:

spacer.png

On the contrary, viewed in 4k, as I am doing now, the blurred element of the picture is extremely distinct.😁

2 hours ago, Reader said:

On the contrary, viewed in 4k, as I am doing now, the blurred element of the picture is extremely distinct.😁

Ahh, but that's even worse.  What we're after is ultra sharp edges, and no get that w/ 4K or 8K on a low res image 😉

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X