Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

"QUESTION: Did the FSX Team know that "blurries" were probably our #1 complaint with FS9 and before?"

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

so I'm going to assume that MS did not come across blurry textures when they beta tested FSX or FS9 flying a 737 for over 10 (10) minutes.Tim

Actually guys, this is my bad. I asked them to keep the blurries in. I have bad vision and I thought it would make it more realistic.Sorry, but hey, we'll all look back at this and laugh and laugh some day.

the memo went like this at Microsoft 3 years ago....Developers,When we decide to post screenshots of FSX, only post ground scenery when flying the Cessna or small aircrafts. For big jets, please post only the PLANE and the clouds not the GROUND (ouch). WARNING: Do not even think about posting any shots of military aircraft or "slew mode."Thanks for understanding,Fiber Frame .33PS1: Should we start blogging? If yes, lets throw out some stuff around configuring fsx.cfg like Fiber Frame or Mipbias 6 or lets even throw in some BufferPool stuff. without question, just respond with the following line: "When in doubt, please lower your sliders.'PS2: FSX will run on Directx9 first than we will patch it with Sp1 than Acceleration (Directx10).Good news, Nvidia called and said they like the idea of having video cards for DirectX 10 than having to do another line for 10.1.Also, Intel was delighted to know that Dual Cores will not help FSX and will try to push Quad Core processors to FSX users by 2007. They will not market Quad until early 07. Funny comment by intel at the end of the call, "We will actually have 8 cores by the Fall of 07 but FSX won't even budge."

On a recent (real) Delta MD-88 flight from ATL to DCA, I looked out the window and noticed that the blurries exist in the read world and thought that sometimes the FS world is a bit unrealistic (too well defined) in that way.RH

No-you are off the hook Brian-it is all my fault.I've had better than perfect vision my whole life-but unbeknown to me it started going about a year ago. Spending so much time with fsx I continued to think I had perfect vision-but insidiously the sim was blurring exactly as my eyes changed-and therefore I never realized the truth.Thank god I took a break and tried to read some posts here which suddenly looked blurry and realized the truth of the matter!Or could it be that Internet explorer 7 has the blurries-and fsx is perfect?! Does Microsoft own a eyewear company? I smell a conspiracy theory here somewhere! hmmmmmm :-)http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Perhaps its just the bad memory of old age, but when the sim was less developed the vocal people seemed happier. We all look for added reality, but no one is prepared for really getting there. The process was fun, but is anyone having fun now? Blurry textures were no problem in fs3.0...the ground was just a uniform green color. Imagine how happy we'd have been back then with a blurry version of today's sim. Yet, here's the interesting part; we were happy then....remember how cool it was to have the airports distance from each other be close to realistic? I remember how fun it was to take off from sea level and land at an altitude of 2000' (even thou we couldn't see the change).Funny isn't it, that the sim provide so many with pleasure when it was just a green field, and so many find unhappiness now that the sim is nearly photoreal. THe dog enjoys chasing the car, but catching it might not be much fun.Bob

Nice shot, where were you flying from (LOL)? On a serious note, when we release FSX, what is the default command for REFRESH SCENERY?We should probably send a memo to the team before the post screenies. BTW-Did you get my memo on not showing Big Jets as screenies?Tim

well, we all know it is the penny-pinchers at MS who decide what planes go in and how texture decompression works in the engine, so you must be correct!At least it's not my fault anymore.You can bet I won't be buying anymore bifocals without checking what ties the manufacturer has to ACES.

>Seriously, David, I've seen Phil's fashion sense and now we>know his real claim to fame. I'd buy his shades in a minute.Loooooooooooooooooool :--)))))))))))))))))))))now we understand that "Fiber Frame" means metal-framed glassesthanks Tim!

Ahhh, the 'sand' textures........Roll out the excuses for that one.Offer as many as you like, it stll looks awful.Glenn

The lack of proper prop sound changes when changing the pitch of a constant speed prop-something that still hasn't happened in stock fs since the beginning of time, and something I use every time I simulate, is actually more "annoying" to me than sand.But we all have our "realities", our personal wish lists, and priorities as we continue the move up the reality scale in fs.I think Bob's point is while these wish "lists" and present features used to be viewed as a never ending progress towards reality, and were viewed as part of the fun, transfiguration, and whole fs experience-they are now viewed by some as excuses and are a source of anger to some. It does seem people were happier years ago with less-now that they have more-it is interesting that the opposite seems to be the case. Kinda similar to other aspects of life today.I personally find it interesting that when fsx came out a year ago-the general reaction seemed to be it was a "non serious upgrade" and mostly about eye candy. Now a year later-it seems the majority of complaints about fsx are....about eye candy! Interesting! :-)Me-I want some correct prop noise! (I have yet to see a complaint about that one yet-or a whole bunch of others on my personal wish list)....but I also don't see the lack of inclusion of my personal wishes as excuses, or something to get angry about-but more the fun and hope that these, and others not on my list, may appear presently with add ons (I got the prop sounds with the Eaglesoft Commanche along with the ability to feather a dead engine-two more of my wishes) and be the part of the future of the sim. It is and actually can be fun!http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Jim,Backwards compatability........another pet hate of mine.It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who have addons (freeware and payware) from FS9 and then complain that they don't work in FSX!

>>Me-I want some correct prop noise! (I have yet to see a>complaint about that one yet-or a whole bunch of others on my>personal wish list)....I think part of the reason for that, is because most of us are not pilotas and so we do not KNOW what we are missing concerning prop noise variations.I am glad you pointed it out though. :) Makes sense that it would sound different...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Wow, just wow. A thread which uses ACES, and Phil's name in particular, as cannon fodder for jokes.That should keep him posting here. Not.I didn't realize it was kick Phil in the nuts day. I'm glad I'm not him sometimes.

Maybe because they (we) paid a lot more for all the addons together then for FS itself ? I can understand, you pay let say 20 or 40 bucks to get you home airport in full glory and bam, there is a new version of FS, or in the case of FSX, a new patch, that disables it.Don't forget : the lifecycle for MSFS is between 2 and 4 years.It takes a developer often as long to make the add on.Jan

Like Robbie, I am always amazed at how blurried the real world looks from altitude or from a distance. Very surprising.Here is a picture taken by our friend, Jerry Thorne, while flying South over V-3 (East coast of Florida) in his RV-9A looking at the Kennedy Space Center:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/180476.jpgSo, I tried to reproduce that shot in FS X. Weather visibility is set to 30 miles and altitude is 8500 AGL (I have recently lost all my charts, but I think that MEA on V3 is 2000 ft. But, then Jerry seems to like to fly high.)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/180475.jpgThe FS X version does not seem a lot more blurry than the real thing.Of course, I never fly a 737, nor would I want to. But, I understand Tim's problem, and it is very true that at higher speeds, and with more complex aircraft and settings, people will have problems. Too bad.Best regards.Luis